DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Looking for a whatsit (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/319187-looking-whatsit.html)

steamer February 22nd 11 06:14 PM

Looking for a whatsit

--I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
--Thx,

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!

Winston February 22nd 11 08:16 PM

Looking for a whatsit

steamer wrote:
--I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
--Thx,

Rod End?
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=rod+end&aq=f &aqi=g6g-m4&aql=&oq=

--Winston

steamer February 22nd 11 08:55 PM

Looking for a whatsit

wrote:

Cam follower?

--Yes but no; i.e. I just went to MSC and without exception every
one has the bearing mounted on the shaft, so as to hold a side load. I need
one with the bearing turned 90 degrees, so that the load is pushing
along the long axis of the shank..

Pete C. February 22nd 11 09:16 PM

Looking for a whatsit

steamer wrote:

wrote:

Cam follower?

--Yes but no; i.e. I just went to MSC and without exception every
one has the bearing mounted on the shaft, so as to hold a side load. I need
one with the bearing turned 90 degrees, so that the load is pushing
along the long axis of the shank..

Look at casters, both in swivel and non swivel versions.

Ned Simmons February 22nd 11 09:17 PM

Looking for a whatsit

On 22 Feb 2011 18:14:49 GMT, steamer wrote:

--I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
--Thx,

If speed and accuracy requirements are modest see "ball transfers" --
the 2-axis version of what you've described. For example, McMaster
pages 1229 thru 1231.

--
Ned Simmons

Winston February 22nd 11 09:45 PM

Looking for a whatsit

steamer wrote:
--I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
--Thx,

Could you Yoke a bearing?

http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/NavigationServlet/Motion-Control-Fluid-Power/Rod-Ends-Yokes/Yokes/_/N-77foh?cm_re=Category-_-Breadcrumb-_-Yokes

--Winston

Dennis February 23rd 11 01:26 AM

Looking for a whatsit

"steamer" wrote in message
--I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports
for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm
looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that
holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
--Thx,

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Just a clevis?

http://pneumatics-en.timmer-pneumati...gki-e-stz2.jpg

http://images.drillspot.com/pimages/189/18995_300.jpg

DT February 23rd 11 04:19 AM

Looking for a whatsit

In article ,
says...
--I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by

one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports

for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm

looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that

holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're

probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.

Can you use ball transfers? They are spherical:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-transfers/=b5hlds

--
DT

Pat[_8_] February 23rd 11 04:24 AM

Looking for a whatsit

On Feb 22, 1:14*pm, steamer wrote:
* * * * --I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
* * * * --Thx,

--
* * * * "Steamboat Ed" Haas * * * * : *Steel, Stainless, Titanium: *
* * * * Hacking the Trailing Edge! *: *Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
* * * * * * * * * * * * *www.nmpproducts.com
* * * * * * * * * *---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Look at parts for RC model race cars. Google "turnbuckle traxxas" for
a good variety of choices.

Larry Jaques[_3_] February 23rd 11 05:22 AM

Looking for a whatsit

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:16:08 -0800, Winston
wrote:

steamer wrote:
--I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
--Thx,

Rod End?
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=rod+end&aq=f &aqi=g6g-m4&aql=&oq=

Most of those are actually Heim joints.

--
The more passions and desires one has,
the more ways one has of being happy.

Larry Jaques[_3_] February 23rd 11 05:23 AM

Looking for a whatsit

On 22 Feb 2011 20:45:50 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Not a rod end exactly, as the bearing o.d. will be rolling
on a surface..

OH, _those_. Those are called "bolts", Ed. ;)

Winston February 23rd 11 06:07 AM

Looking for a whatsit

wrote:

steamer wrote:
--I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
--Thx,

Rod End?
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=rod+end&aq=f &aqi=g6g-m4&aql=&oq=

Most of those are actually Heim joints.

That'll be what I learned today.
Turns out Steamer just wanted casters anyway.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-5-8-eighth-inch-x-7-8-eighth-inch-light-duty-rigid-caster-41512.html

--Winston

Jon Anderson February 23rd 11 06:20 AM

Looking for a whatsit

On 2/22/2011 12:55 PM, steamer wrote:
wrote:

Cam follower?

--Yes but no; i.e. I just went to MSC and without exception every
one has the bearing mounted on the shaft, so as to hold a side load. I need
one with the bearing turned 90 degrees, so that the load is pushing
along the long axis of the shank..

Hmm, The older Ford Escorts with the 1.9 engine use roller cam lifters.
I've got a pair floating around here somewhere but can't locate at the
moment. IIRC, they were around $16-18 each. A block with a bored hole,
side slot, and clamp screw would hold them. If your design offers axial
access, a separate adjustment screw and lock nut would allow adjustment
and prevent it from pushing away from any load.
Hope that explanation is clear...

Jon

Larry Jaques[_3_] February 23rd 11 03:57 PM

Looking for a whatsit

wrote:

steamer wrote:
--I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
--Thx,

Rod End?
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=rod+end&aq=f &aqi=g6g-m4&aql=&oq=

Most of those are actually Heim joints.

That'll be what I learned today.
Turns out Steamer just wanted casters anyway.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-5-8-eighth-inch-x-7-8-eighth-inch-light-duty-rigid-caster-41512.html

That'll be what I learned today. Judging by the Wanted text, I'da
never guess tit.

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and

steamer February 23rd 11 04:58 PM

Looking for a whatsit

--Gotcha; that's similar to what I had in mind: threaded shank with
height adjusting nut and shank in a holder that's bolted to the base. Holder
has setscrew to lock bearing holder in place.
--Caster is an interesting idea; now if I can just find one with a
1/2" dia wheel! :-)

steamer February 23rd 11 05:04 PM

Looking for a whatsit

--That's what I originally had in mind, but with a reeeeally short
yoke to save vertical space as much as possible.

steamer February 23rd 11 05:06 PM

Looking for a whatsit

--Yeah that'll do nicely if I can get a bearing i.d. to match the
hitch pin; that shouldn't be too hard. Arg! I might actually have some in my
pneumatics collection; thanks for memory jog! :-)

Grumpy March 23rd 11 09:10 AM

Looking for a whatsit

wrote in message
[...]

yes, they're called a cam follower. They are available from bearing
suppliers. They are relativley cheap.