steamer

Default Here's a whatsit for ya..

--Can anyone put a name to this contraption? It's probably got a
nautical origin, but I don't have a clue what it, or its ilk might be
called. First three photos on this page:
http://www.nmpproducts.com/artcar0508.htm
--I'm thinking these things made smaller would be ideal for
robotic applications...

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : My shop is open to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : visiting dog-nitaries...
Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
--Can anyone put a name to this contraption? It's probably got a
nautical origin, but I don't have a clue what it, or its ilk might be
called. First three photos on this page:
http://www.nmpproducts.com/artcar0508.htm
--I'm thinking these things made smaller would be ideal for
robotic applications...

The only other place I've seen one of those is in McMaster-
Carr. They call them "Gear Universal Joints", on p.957.

Ned Simmons
JohnM

steamer wrote:
--Can anyone put a name to this contraption? It's probably got a
nautical origin, but I don't have a clue what it, or its ilk might be
called. First three photos on this page:
http://www.nmpproducts.com/artcar0508.htm
--I'm thinking these things made smaller would be ideal for
robotic applications...

Um.. tilt wheel from a submarine?

Sure is cool, whatever it is.

carl mciver

"steamer" wrote in message
| --Can anyone put a name to this contraption? It's probably got a
| nautical origin, but I don't have a clue what it, or its ilk might be
| called. First three photos on this page:
| http://www.nmpproducts.com/artcar0508.htm
| --I'm thinking these things made smaller would be ideal for
| robotic applications...
|
| --
| "Steamboat Ed" Haas : My shop is open to
| Hacking the Trailing Edge! : visiting dog-nitaries...
| http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
| ---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

I have seen exactly this sort of thing before, and after much thought I
realized it was similar to the throttle of an outboard motor, one that has a
tilt steering wheel. Obviously not that beefy, but that makes me think that
it was from a drive that allowed the prop to fold up out of the way for
whatever reasons.

Eric R Snow

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 03:17:05 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Can anyone put a name to this contraption? It's probably got a
nautical origin, but I don't have a clue what it, or its ilk might be
called. First three photos on this page:
http://www.nmpproducts.com/artcar0508.htm
--I'm thinking these things made smaller would be ideal for
robotic applications...

The older Johnson outdrives worked just this way. A little sloppy, but
after repairing a Merc outdrive I'd pick the Johnson any day. The
Johnson coupler was exposed to the elements and would still drive the
boat when quite worn. The Merc, on the other hand, starts to fail from
cooked internals from the hot exhaust runnung through it. Even though
the exhaust never actually contacts the gears, bearings, and seals
because they are all in a sealed crankcase it still runs through and
heats everything up. Then the gears grenade. And special tools are
required to fix 'em.
ERS

steamer

Ned Simmons wrote:
: The only other place I've seen one of those is in McMaster-
: Carr. They call them "Gear Universal Joints", on p.957.
--Son of a gun; there it is! Thanks! Zowie, glad I bought it
surplus! Got mine for $43.-; their equivalent is $301 plus tax! Think I'll
zip over to the junkyard today and pick up a spare, heh..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : My shop is open to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : visiting dog-nitaries...
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
steamer

carl mciver wrote:
: I have seen exactly this sort of thing before, and after much thought I
: realized it was similar to the throttle of an outboard motor, one that has a
: tilt steering wheel. Obviously not that beefy, but that makes me think that
: it was from a drive that allowed the prop to fold up out of the way for
: whatever reasons.
--Yeah, now that you mention it that makes sense. Gotta find me
some old outboards and start prying them apart, heh..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : My shop is open to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : visiting dog-nitaries...
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
steamer

Eric R Snow wrote:
: The older Johnson outdrives worked just this way. A little sloppy, but
: after repairing a Merc outdrive I'd pick the Johnson any day. The
: Johnson coupler was exposed to the elements and would still drive the
: boat when quite worn. The Merc, on the other hand, starts to fail from
--Yeah, now that you mention the sloppy part it occurs to me that
the design is very nice because it could be shimmed with a bronze washer,
between a dressed bearing seat and the shaft's gear, to compensate for
what's been turned off.. Neat.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : My shop is open to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : visiting dog-nitaries...
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Brian Lawson

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 15:20:14 GMT, steamer wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:
: The only other place I've seen one of those is in McMaster-
: Carr. They call them "Gear Universal Joints", on p.957.

Hmmmm.... I think it should be called it a "Lantern Gear Universal
Joint".

Andy Asberry

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 03:17:05 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Can anyone put a name to this contraption? It's probably got a
nautical origin, but I don't have a clue what it, or its ilk might be
called. First three photos on this page:
http://www.nmpproducts.com/artcar0508.htm
--I'm thinking these things made smaller would be ideal for
robotic applications...

Patented claim of a sheep shearing machine. Feb 10, 1875. Described as
a universal joint with gear works.

http://patentsvictoria.net/002024.html

JR North

Note that these units cannot transmit a lot of torque without failure.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

steamer wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:
: The only other place I've seen one of those is in McMaster-
: Carr. They call them "Gear Universal Joints", on p.957.
--Son of a gun; there it is! Thanks! Zowie, glad I bought it
surplus! Got mine for $43.-; their equivalent is $301 plus tax! Think I'll
zip over to the junkyard today and pick up a spare, heh..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : My shop is open to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : visiting dog-nitaries...
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
steamer

JR North wrote:
: Note that these units cannot transmit a lot of torque without failure.
--Yah, based on that assumption I've geared it down a bit so
that the loads will be minimized. If all else fails I can always fall
back to plan A, so to speak...