Eric R Snow

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 03:17:05 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Can anyone put a name to this contraption? It's probably got a
nautical origin, but I don't have a clue what it, or its ilk might be
called. First three photos on this page:
http://www.nmpproducts.com/artcar0508.htm
--I'm thinking these things made smaller would be ideal for
robotic applications...

The older Johnson outdrives worked just this way. A little sloppy, but
after repairing a Merc outdrive I'd pick the Johnson any day. The
Johnson coupler was exposed to the elements and would still drive the
boat when quite worn. The Merc, on the other hand, starts to fail from
cooked internals from the hot exhaust runnung through it. Even though
the exhaust never actually contacts the gears, bearings, and seals
because they are all in a sealed crankcase it still runs through and
heats everything up. Then the gears grenade. And special tools are
required to fix 'em.
ERS