steamer

Eric R Snow wrote:
: The older Johnson outdrives worked just this way. A little sloppy, but
: after repairing a Merc outdrive I'd pick the Johnson any day. The
: Johnson coupler was exposed to the elements and would still drive the
: boat when quite worn. The Merc, on the other hand, starts to fail from
--Yeah, now that you mention the sloppy part it occurs to me that
the design is very nice because it could be shimmed with a bronze washer,
between a dressed bearing seat and the shaft's gear, to compensate for
what's been turned off.. Neat.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : My shop is open to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : visiting dog-nitaries...