Pete Snell

Default Whatsit

Hi all

This object was in the garage of the house when I bought it 10 years
ago. I've kept it around even though I really don't know what it is. Was
doing a cleanup of the shop when I came across it again, and thought
that the good people of RCM might be able to identify it.
The half with the slots rotates relative to the half with the circular
cutter, and is indexed so the center of the slot remains in the
centerline of the cutter. I have no idea of it's age, but it's certainly
at least 10 to 15 years old.

Any ideas?

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/whatsit.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Whatsit2.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/whatsit3.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/whatsit5.jpg

--
__
Pete Snell

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
upgrade to SurgeFTP
---- See
http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:54:04 -0400, Pete Snell wrote:
Hi all

This object was in the garage of the house when I bought it 10 years
ago. I've kept it around even though I really don't know what it is. Was
doing a cleanup of the shop when I came across it again, and thought
that the good people of RCM might be able to identify it.
Any ideas?

Looks like you feed something round into the one end, spin the cutter
against it, and get a spiral out the other end?

What's the name on the end, that's not clear in the photos. Looks
vaguely medical-ish to me?
Pete Snell

Dave Hinz wrote:

Looks like you feed something round into the one end, spin the cutter
against it, and get a spiral out the other end?

What's the name on the end, that's not clear in the photos. Looks
vaguely medical-ish to me?

C-G-E Carboloy Made in Canada.
--
__
Pete Snell
Royal Military College
Kingston Ontario

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw
Grant Erwin

Pete Snell wrote:
Hi all

This object was in the garage of the house when I bought it 10 years
ago. I've kept it around even though I really don't know what it is. Was
doing a cleanup of the shop when I came across it again, and thought
that the good people of RCM might be able to identify it.
The half with the slots rotates relative to the half with the
circular cutter, and is indexed so the center of the slot remains in the
centerline of the cutter. I have no idea of it's age, but it's certainly
at least 10 to 15 years old.

Any ideas?

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/whatsit.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Whatsit2.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/whatsit3.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/whatsit5.jpg

Wonder if that could be used to ream the seats on cutting torch tips?

GWE

Wayne Cook

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:54:04 -0400, Pete Snell wrote:

Hi all

This object was in the garage of the house when I bought it 10 years
ago. I've kept it around even though I really don't know what it is. Was
doing a cleanup of the shop when I came across it again, and thought
that the good people of RCM might be able to identify it.
The half with the slots rotates relative to the half with the circular
cutter, and is indexed so the center of the slot remains in the
centerline of the cutter. I have no idea of it's age, but it's certainly
at least 10 to 15 years old.

Any ideas?

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/whatsit.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Whatsit2.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/whatsit3.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/whatsit5.jpg

My bets are on "scissor sharpener".

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Jeff Wisnia

Default Whatsit (Machining Content-Threading)

Pete Snell wrote:
Hi all

This object was in the garage of the house when I bought it 10 years
ago. I've kept it around even though I really don't know what it is. Was
doing a cleanup of the shop when I came across it again, and thought
that the good people of RCM might be able to identify it.
The half with the slots rotates relative to the half with the
circular cutter, and is indexed so the center of the slot remains in the
centerline of the cutter. I have no idea of it's age, but it's certainly
at least 10 to 15 years old.

Any ideas?

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/whatsit.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Whatsit2.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/whatsit3.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/whatsit5.jpg

Medical instrument used by 20th century mohels*, sometimes producing
unintended results. Viz.

The cock of a fellow named Red,
Was adorned with a spiralized head.
When at last he laid eyes,
On a cooze the right size,
He was foiled by a left-handed thread!

Jeff

* Lookit up if you don't know it.

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Pete Snell

machineman wrote:

The skate sharpener quess seems to be correct.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/VINTAGE-SKATE-SHA...cmdZV iewItem

Looks like we have a winner! Thanks for the help!

--
__
Pete Snell
Royal Military College
Kingston Ontario

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:02:48 GMT, Ray Field wrote:
It is probably an ice skate "sharpener" used to touch up the edges of hollow
ground blades. Primary sharpening is done with a specialized grinding
set-up.

Fits the shape of the blade, and the country of origin; the spinning is
so you can use different parts of the cutter. What's the width of the
straight slot?

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:00:08 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Grant Erwin quickly quoth:

Pete Snell wrote:
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Whatsit2.jpg

Wonder if that could be used to ream the seats on cutting torch tips?

What do they cut with 1.5" diameter tips, Grant? thud

P.S: I hope it's the acetylene opening vs. the oxy holes.

* Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy
* --Noah * http://www.diversify.com