Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ANNOUNCEMENT was Iggy, any progress on the governmentpublication website?

On 2011-02-06, Chet wrote:
I've been checking http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/ periodically, along
with 185 others, and am wondering if you've run into a roadblock you didn't
anticipate?
Or is this just a case of too much work, too little time...?
Chet

Well, the site is available.

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/

I will provide more functions, such as torrents, search, and so
on. Right now the only function is a "list of all manuals", see link
closer to the bottom of the main page. Hopefully you can find the ones
that you need. It is not a bad start.

I will add

* Torrents
* Search function
* Some kind of a hierarchical access
* Preview function, so that PDFs can be viewed as HTML, kind of like
tpub but without selling anything.

I will never charge anyone for any type of access.

What I would like to ask, is to link to this website. The more
incoming links, the higher will the manuals sit in the search results
of search engines, so that people who search for them, can find those
manuals that are free, as opposed to other sites that are selling
them.

Feel free to share, republish, sell these manuals, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 14:52:15 -0600, Ignoramus908

On 2011-02-06, Chet wrote:
I've been checking http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/ periodically, along
with 185 others, and am wondering if you've run into a roadblock you didn't
anticipate?
Or is this just a case of too much work, too little time...?
Chet

Well, the site is available.

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/

Can I get the vehicle from you, too, or is just the manual available?
http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/LO-9-2350-230-12.pdf
With the manual, I can lube it myself.

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-06, Chet wrote:
I've been checking http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/ periodically, along
with 185 others, and am wondering if you've run into a roadblock you didn't
anticipate?
Or is this just a case of too much work, too little time...?
Chet

Well, the site is available.

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/

Can I get the vehicle from you, too, or is just the manual available?
http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/LO-9-2350-230-12.pdf
With the manual, I can lube it myself.

Well, you can get a MEP-006A generator from me, all lubricated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-06, Chet wrote:
I've been checking http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/ periodically, along
with 185 others, and am wondering if you've run into a roadblock you didn't
anticipate?
Or is this just a case of too much work, too little time...?
Chet

Well, the site is available.

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/

I will provide more functions, such as torrents, search, and so
on. Right now the only function is a "list of all manuals", see link
closer to the bottom of the main page. Hopefully you can find the ones
that you need. It is not a bad start.

Yea, thanks for doing that, Ig.

Heads Up: I get a 403 Forbidden error on some links
http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-1...2-13-and-P.pdf
so I checked another randomly
http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-1...1-13-and-P.pdf
also getting a 403.

A couple Huey and Apache manuals downloaded OK, though.

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is
happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with
awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2011-02-06, Chet wrote:
[...]

There is a limit of 100 manuals per day and 10 manuals per minute, per
IP. The last limit is just to prevent download accelerators and site
downloader programs from abusing my site. I would say, wait a couple
of minutes and try again.

I will set up torrents for those who want to download all manuals. I
want to work on this after I get all the manuals in.

If you have ANY idea how to organize this pile of manuals, I am all
ears.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-06, Chet wrote:
I've been checking http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/ periodically, along
with 185 others, and am wondering if you've run into a roadblock you didn't
anticipate?
Or is this just a case of too much work, too little time...?
Chet

Well, the site is available.

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/

Can I get the vehicle from you, too, or is just the manual available?
http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/LO-9-2350-230-12.pdf
With the manual, I can lube it myself.

Well, you can get a MEP-006A generator from me, all lubricated.

No, Mommy said I could have the air-defense tank thingy. That's what I
want.

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is
happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with
awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2011-02-06, Chet wrote:
[...]

I believe I had DLed only one prior to that and nothing was DLing at
the time, so something isn't quite right there. You might check into
it if more people give that same feedback.

I will set up torrents for those who want to download all manuals. I
want to work on this after I get all the manuals in.

I DLed and installed the Torrent thing a few years ago and got scared
out of my mind that I had a virus when it started sending multi-MBs of
data out from my drive. I hadn't realized that I'd be a source and it
was slowing down that computer something fierce until I killed it.
Pass, on this end.

If you have ANY idea how to organize this pile of manuals, I am all
ears.

That was my next suggestion. It could take awhile if done manually.

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is
happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with
awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2011-02-06, Chet wrote:
[...]

Maybe you can do a controlled experiment?

I thought that I got that right and tested it, but as always, I screw
up 50% of things that I do, so let me know if it does not work right.

(even though I screw up 50%, I try to make sure that the consequences
are not ruinous and I fix what I break).

If you have ANY idea how to organize this pile of manuals, I am all
ears.

That was my next suggestion. It could take awhile if done manually.

I am thinking that search is perhaps more important than proper
categorization. It should not be that hard to do.

But as far as categories go, I would think that it could be combat
vehicles/support vehicles/auxiliary equipment/???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DT DT is offline

In article ,
says...

On 2011-02-06, Chet wrote:
I've been checking
[...]

I also could not view one manual, a conveyor belt manual towards the
top of the list. The warning said I did not have permission. All the
others I tried were OK.

--
DT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus908 wrote:

There is a limit of 100 manuals per day and 10 manuals per minute, per
IP. The last limit is just to prevent download accelerators and site
downloader programs from abusing my site. I would say, wait a couple
of minutes and try again.

I will set up torrents for those who want to download all manuals. I
want to work on this after I get all the manuals in.

If you have ANY idea how to organize this pile of manuals, I am all
ears.

I think you have done very well with it, ig.
Using the browser's Find function lets one search for terms.
And the TM # is right there on the screen.

Considering the breadth of subject matter, a menu system would
probably be more hinderance than help...

BTW...
105mm recoilless rifle on UH-1B...
Sweet!

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

a data point for you.

I searched for "M16" and downloaded one manual. Then searched for next
hit. When trying to download i got:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /getpdf.mpl on this server.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:

I only
have 20 mbps upstream on this lousy ADSL. :-(

I think you have that wrong, 20Mbps is more than most folks have
downstream. ADSL typically has something in the 256Kbps-512Kbps
upstream.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-09, Karl Townsend wrote:
a data point for you.

I searched for "M16" and downloaded one manual. Then searched for next
hit. When trying to download i got:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /getpdf.mpl on this server.

Karl

It looks like I screwed up something, as usual. I will check.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-09, DT wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 2011-02-06, Chet wrote:
I've been checking
[...]

I am no sure what I am doing wrong, I will investigate. But for now I
have upped the limits. Maybe I was just too paranoid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2011-02-06, Chet wrote:
[...]

OK, I restarted my comp and checked again with both the above titles
and they both gave me the "403 Forbidden, You don't have permission to
access /getpdf.mpl on this server. Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) Server at
www.liberatedmanuals.com Port 80" errors with Firefox and IE8.

TM-1-1730-232-13-and-P TRUCK, HELICOPTER GROUND HANDLING, P/N
204-050-200-5, (NSN 1730-00-980-9552); 214-706-104-101
(1730-01-133-9204); 1730-EG-100 (1730-01-133-9204) was the link title
of the first error I got. Just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

I thought that I got that right and tested it, but as always, I screw
up 50% of things that I do, so let me know if it does not work right.

(even though I screw up 50%, I try to make sure that the consequences
are not ruinous and I fix what I break).

So, the first thing you do when you hear the SNAP from an
overtorqued bolt is to -quickly- back it off half a turn, eh?

If you have ANY idea how to organize this pile of manuals, I am all
ears.

That was my next suggestion. It could take awhile if done manually.

I am thinking that search is perhaps more important than proper
categorization. It should not be that hard to do.

But as far as categories go, I would think that it could be combat
vehicles/support vehicles/auxiliary equipment/???

(What's with the question mark abuse?)

I would think Combat & support vehicles/Air or /ground should do it
for categorization. Whenever I'm looking for something generally
interesting, a TOC is a great help. It makes browsing a site, to see
what is available, much more friendly and comfortable.

But whenever I have a specific need, I choose the search first.
A search function would be VERY helpful. That's a must!

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is
happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with
awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Steve Ackman wrote:

I only
have 20 mbps upstream on this lousy ADSL. :-(

I think you have that wrong, 20Mbps is more than most folks have
downstream. ADSL typically has something in the 256Kbps-512Kbps
upstream.

He's only claiming 20 millibits per second, yes?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2011-02-06, Chet wrote:
[...]

OK, thanks. That was what I needed.

I fixed it. It was a bug and I could not give any manuals with -and-
in the name.

It has nothing to do with access limit restrictions.

I am glad.

But as far as categories go, I would think that it could be combat
vehicles/support vehicles/auxiliary equipment/???

(What's with the question mark abuse?)

I would think Combat & support vehicles/Air or /ground should do it
for categorization. Whenever I'm looking for something generally
interesting, a TOC is a great help. It makes browsing a site, to see
what is available, much more friendly and comfortable.

But whenever I have a specific need, I choose the search first.
A search function would be VERY helpful. That's a must!

OK, I will work on search. I have Solr installed on that server, I may
do it with Solr.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-09, CaveLamb wrote:
Ignoramus908 wrote:

There is a limit of 100 manuals per day and 10 manuals per minute, per
IP. The last limit is just to prevent download accelerators and site
downloader programs from abusing my site. I would say, wait a couple
of minutes and try again.

I will set up torrents for those who want to download all manuals. I
want to work on this after I get all the manuals in.

If you have ANY idea how to organize this pile of manuals, I am all
ears.

I think you have done very well with it, ig.
Using the browser's Find function lets one search for terms.
And the TM # is right there on the screen.

Considering the breadth of subject matter, a menu system would
probably be more hinderance than help...

BTW...
105mm recoilless rifle on UH-1B...
Sweet!

I will try to add some kind of a search function. Solr is an awesome
package that does a lot of search related stuff right. For example, it
has a "find similar items" function that finds similar documents.

I use it on algebra.com. When a visitor views a solution to a given
math problem from the archives, I offer them a "other similar
problems" choice. Kind of like similar movies on youtube. That
increased my traffic by something like 25% and I am sure that people
like it.

I will try to do some smart search function on liberatedmanuals too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2011-02-06, Chet wrote:
[...]

One suggestion would be to group like items together. For instance If
you have the lube, tech, recall,+++ for an item.

Another thought would be to group them by type, IE: Aircraft, Tracked
vehicles, artillery, armaments, and so forth.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 07:29:54 -0600, Ignoramus25972

On 2011-02-09, Karl Townsend wrote:
a data point for you.

I searched for "M16" and downloaded one manual. Then searched for next
hit. When trying to download i got:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /getpdf.mpl on this server.

Karl

It looks like I screwed up something, as usual. I will check.

I just downloaded several manuals.

Thanks iggy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-09, Karl Townsend wrote:
a data point for you.

I searched for "M16" and downloaded one manual. Then searched for next
hit. When trying to download i got:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /getpdf.mpl on this server.

Karl

It looks like I screwed up something, as usual. I will check.

I just downloaded several manuals.

Thanks iggy

What I found out is that I had a bug and no one could download manuals
that have -and- in the name. These are usually manuals like
TM-X-YYYY-ZZ-QQ&P or some such that have the "&" character.

So I fixed that.

Just in case, I also increased the daily and per-minute limits
greatly, but I would like to scale them back down, to 100 per day and
10 per minute.

I will probably do it again.

Once more, my point is to liberate the manuals, not to make one more
website that charges for them or restricts their circulation. So, feel
free to repost them where you want, sell them, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-09, Karl Townsend wrote:
a data point for you.

[...]

I do appreciate that. My efforts to collect info on .223 and .308 semi
auto rifles has ended up costing a fair bit. More than once, I've been
scammed into paying for a very small amount of information.

Guess I'm a slow learner. Or at least P.T. Barnum's friend.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-09, Karl Townsend wrote:
a data point for you.

[...]

These sleazy manual sellers are very insiduous. Hard to resist.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Maybe you can do a controlled experiment?

OK, I restarted my comp and checked again with both the above titles
and they both gave me the "403 Forbidden, You don't have permission to
access /getpdf.mpl on this server. Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) Server at
www.liberatedmanuals.com Port 80" errors with Firefox and IE8.

TM-1-1730-232-13-and-P TRUCK, HELICOPTER GROUND HANDLING, P/N
204-050-200-5, (NSN 1730-00-980-9552); 214-706-104-101
(1730-01-133-9204); 1730-EG-100 (1730-01-133-9204) was the link title
of the first error I got. Just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

OK, thanks. That was what I needed.

I fixed it. It was a bug and I could not give any manuals with -and-
in the name.

Bueno.

It has nothing to do with access limit restrictions.

I figured that since other DLs were OK.

I am glad.

Ditto.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for this, Iggy. If you want to expand your horizons you could copy
all of the HP and Agilent manuals from Agilent's site, and any Tektronix
manuals you can get, and, and ... :-). I see a steady stream of printouts
of HP manual pdfs for sale on ebay for old power supplies and the like, and
of course the pdfs are right there for the downloading on hp's site.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carl Ijames wrote:

Thanks for this, Iggy. If you want to expand your horizons you could copy
all of the HP and Agilent manuals from Agilent's site, and any Tektronix
manuals you can get, and, and ... :-). I see a steady stream of printouts
of HP manual pdfs for sale on ebay for old power supplies and the like, and
of course the pdfs are right there for the downloading on hp's site.

The test equipment manuals are on the Agilent site, and they have forced
people to remove online versions from other sites. BAMA was one of the
first they fought with, before putting the manuals on their own site.

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-10, Carl Ijames wrote:
Thanks for this, Iggy. If you want to expand your horizons you could copy
all of the HP and Agilent manuals from Agilent's site, and any Tektronix
manuals you can get, and, and ... :-). I see a steady stream of printouts
of HP manual pdfs for sale on ebay for old power supplies and the like, and
of course the pdfs are right there for the downloading on hp's site.

I do not want to do anything copyrighted. I would do it, if I could.