Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anti-snow-stick Spray

Ignoramus27303 wrote:
On 2011-02-03, Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus27303 wrote:

"Thou shalt clear snow the same day", this is now a rule that I try to
never break! I goofed once on this and regretted it so much, we had a
icy nightmare on the drvieway for weeks.

Heh, we're encased in ice here in N. TX. I had to drive home 50 miles in
it yesterday evening and the highways were still well crusted with ice
2"-4" thick. Traffic in what is normally a 70 MPH zone was going 25-30
MPH, even the semis. Now that I'm home, I'm going to try to hibernate
until the ice is gone which should be this weekend.

I would like to hibernate, too.

I keep trying to hibernate too, but I keep waking up needing to pee.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-02, lid wrote:
In articleeNmdnQXhZoZzItTQnZ2dnUVZ_sKdnZ2d@giganews. com,
wrote:

We are very seriously snowed in.

I took care of most of the volume with my miiltary snowblower where I
replaced the engine a few years ago.

I had a few issues today with snow sticking to shovels. I would like
to know if there is some kind of spray that would work for at least a
day and would keep shovel free of snow.

People use lots of silicone spray to try this "easy" approach. Doesn't
work (for any length of time). There was also a waxy spray back in the
day, but it didn't work too well either (that spray finish , and the wax
was sticky to be wax that could go in a can and be sprayed).

I put Butcher's bowling alley wax (paste carnauba (turps vehicle),
applied& polished with a rag) on my snow shovel (which is an aluminum
grain shovel, and beats the pants off most "snow shovels" in serious
snow, while working OK in the fluffy stuff they work on) back in
November - it's still working. Bring the shovel inside, get it good and
dry, warm helps, apply wax, polish, get it good and cold, use it.

If you don't happen to have that, use whatever paste wax you have - car
wax if you have it, other floor wax if need be, but bowling alley wax
really works very well if you have it or can get it. Given how long it
works, it's much "easier" than a spray can, IMHO.

This makes sense, I have car wax, so that is what I will try indeed!

Waxing also helps the surfaces on snowblowers.

Well, on the shovel, it worked REALLY GREAT!

I was done using the snowblower today, but I will try waxing the chute
the next time I use it.

It has a big motor, but does not throw the snow as far as I would
like.

It would be nice if you could reach Florida with it.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 18:58:59 -0600, "Pete C."

On 2011-02-02, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus27303 wrote:

[...]

If it's a two stage blower and is working properly it should have no
trouble throwing most snow (not really wet snow) at least 10'.

If my 4 HP blower could not throw relatively dry snow twice that far
I'd get rid of it. The stuff that fell/blew in from Texas last night
was going at least 20 feet this afternoon.

Sure, but that's TEXAS snow. ;-)

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 15:58:04 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Feb 2, 1:34*pm, Ignoramus27303 ignoramus27...@NOSPAM.
27303.invalid wrote:
We are very seriously snowed in.

I took care of most of the volume with my miiltary snowblower where I
replaced the engine a few years ago.

I had a few issues today with snow sticking to shovels. I would like
to know if there is some kind of spray that would work for at least a
day and would keep shovel free of snow.

Wax is good, even paraffin will have some effect. Blade has to be
warm and dry when applied. I've seen guys trying to use WD40, will
work for a bit until it drips/runs/is worn off. For larger blades, my
dad used graphite paint on his plow, got it from one of the implement
dealers. Not sure if it was the graphite that did it or just that it
was black and soaked up the sun.

I find that steel shovel blades have less problems with snow sticking
than aluminum or plastic. Just hard finding a new one with more than
an inch or two of wear surface. Mostly they're fastening the handle
waaay too close to the blade edge. Makes for quicker return trips to
the store for new ones.

Stan

20 years ago I bought a couple $5 snow shovels. Now the blades are
worn back to the ribs and the handles have broken at the socket and
been reinstalled twice but the shovels are still usable. Of course I
also have the 8 Tecumseh ponies to help clear my eight car driveway
and a puddle hunting area of the yard for puppy as well as three or
six neighbours as required.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

27303.invalid wrote:
We are very seriously snowed in.

I took care of most of the volume with my miiltary snowblower where I
replaced the engine a few years ago.

I don't have any experience with snow due to where I live. Is a
"military snowblower" really a snowblower or is this in jest to call
it a snow shovel.

But from a curious person what constitutes a "military snowblower".

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

27303.invalid wrote:
We are very seriously snowed in.

I took care of most of the volume with my miiltary snowblower where I
replaced the engine a few years ago.

I don't have any experience with snow due to where I live. Is a
"military snowblower" really a snowblower or is this in jest to call
it a snow shovel.

But from a curious person what constitutes a "military snowblower".

Bob AZ

It is a big heavy Bolens snowblower. It was an unwise purchase.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus27303 wrote:

By the way, I tried looking for "bowling wax", and it looks like there is
a bewildering amount of choices. Could someone recommend one specific
wax to me?

Exhausted in Illinois

Johnsons paste floor wax works fine.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:

I would suggest giving cross country ski wax a try. It's designed to
prevent just that. Well, I'm not sure anyone actually waxes XC skis
anymore, been a couple decades since I did any of that.

Make sure you get a glide wax instead of a kick wax
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

27303.invalid wrote:
We are very seriously snowed in.

I took care of most of the volume with my miiltary snowblower where I
replaced the engine a few years ago.

I don't have any experience with snow due to where I live. Is a
"military snowblower" really a snowblower or is this in jest to call
it a snow shovel.

But from a curious person what constitutes a "military snowblower".

Bob AZ

It is a big heavy Bolens snowblower. It was an unwise purchase.

It sounds like it isn't set up correctly. What engine does it have on
it? Most of the older blowers can blow snow at least 10-15 feet.

The blower I have on my tractor will throw snow 40+ feet. Even this
heavy crap goes over 20 feet.

The old Sno-Bird in the garage will throw it about 10 feet but it's a
SLOW machine.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

27303.invalid wrote:
[...]

I can't see the snow Iggy is dealing with from here, nor his snowblower,
but it does indeed sound like something isn't right on the snowblower
that may be a simple fix. Certainly in my 34 years in the frozen
northeast I used an old Ariens 7hp snowblower without issues and later
upgraded to a larger 11hp version when the old one got too temperamental
maintenance wise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:iicvbv
:

My Dad used to use that on his shovel. Wonder if it works on
snow throwers?

Briefly, for both applications. It gets wiped off fairly quickly. As does
WD-40.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus27303" wrote in message

Well, on the shovel, it worked REALLY GREAT!

I was done using the snowblower today, but I will try waxing the chute
the next time I use it.

It has a big motor, but does not throw the snow as far as I would
like.

Assuming the engine is running properly and the belts are in decent
shape... the next thing to look at is the "paddles" in the second stage.
Some of the second-stages are parallel to the main auger and use plastic or
rubber "paddles" to eject the snow... others are perpendicular to the main
auger and usually have steel "arms" on a disk.
The rubber ones wear down until the clearance is too big to throw fluffy
snow... the metal ones get mangled when you auger in a chunk of ice (or wood
or foot).
I use graphite "Slip-Cote" on the chute, augers, housing, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 21:46:32 -0800 (PST), Bob AZ
wrote:

On Feb 2, 1:34Â*pm, Ignoramus27303 ignoramus27...@NOSPAM.
27303.invalid wrote:
We are very seriously snowed in.

I took care of most of the volume with my miiltary snowblower where I
replaced the engine a few years ago.

I don't have any experience with snow due to where I live. Is a
"military snowblower" really a snowblower or is this in jest to call
it a snow shovel.

But from a curious person what constitutes a "military snowblower".

Bob AZ

"army surplus" with ugly green paint.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 05:32:14 -0500, Wes
wrote:

Jon Anderson wrote:

I would suggest giving cross country ski wax a try. It's designed to
prevent just that. Well, I'm not sure anyone actually waxes XC skis
anymore, been a couple decades since I did any of that.

Make sure you get a glide wax instead of a kick wax

Would be a real pain if you loaded it up with Klister!!!!!