DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Anti-snow-stick Spray (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/318205-anti-snow-stick-spray.html)

Ignoramus27303 February 2nd 11 08:34 PM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

We are very seriously snowed in.

I took care of most of the volume with my miiltary snowblower where I
replaced the engine a few years ago.

I had a few issues today with snow sticking to shovels. I would like
to know if there is some kind of spray that would work for at least a
day and would keep shovel free of snow.

Ecnerwal[_3_] February 2nd 11 08:48 PM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

In article ,
Ignoramus27303 wrote:

We are very seriously snowed in.

I took care of most of the volume with my miiltary snowblower where I
replaced the engine a few years ago.

I had a few issues today with snow sticking to shovels. I would like
to know if there is some kind of spray that would work for at least a
day and would keep shovel free of snow.

People use lots of silicone spray to try this "easy" approach. Doesn't
work (for any length of time). There was also a waxy spray back in the
day, but it didn't work too well either (that spray finish , and the wax
was sticky to be wax that could go in a can and be sprayed).

I put Butcher's bowling alley wax (paste carnauba (turps vehicle),
applied & polished with a rag) on my snow shovel (which is an aluminum
grain shovel, and beats the pants off most "snow shovels" in serious
snow, while working OK in the fluffy stuff they work on) back in
November - it's still working. Bring the shovel inside, get it good and
dry, warm helps, apply wax, polish, get it good and cold, use it.

If you don't happen to have that, use whatever paste wax you have - car
wax if you have it, other floor wax if need be, but bowling alley wax
really works very well if you have it or can get it. Given how long it
works, it's much "easier" than a spray can, IMHO.

Ignoramus27303 February 2nd 11 09:19 PM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On 2011-02-02, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus27303 wrote:

[...]

This makes sense, I have car wax, so that is what I will try indeed!

tnik February 2nd 11 09:30 PM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On 2/2/2011 3:34 PM, Ignoramus27303 wrote:
We are very seriously snowed in.

I took care of most of the volume with my miiltary snowblower where I
replaced the engine a few years ago.

I had a few issues today with snow sticking to shovels. I would like
to know if there is some kind of spray that would work for at least a
day and would keep shovel free of snow.

Just came across a posting on a forum board about that very thing.. A
couple of the guys there said they use cooking spray. eg. PAM

Rich Grise[_3_] February 2nd 11 09:46 PM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

Ignoramus27303 wrote:

We are very seriously snowed in.

I took care of most of the volume with my miiltary snowblower where I
replaced the engine a few years ago.

I had a few issues today with snow sticking to shovels. I would like
to know if there is some kind of spray that would work for at least a
day and would keep shovel free of snow.

WD-40?
Cooking Spray?

Good Luck!
Rich

Pete C. February 2nd 11 10:16 PM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On 2011-02-02, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus27303 wrote:

[...]

Waxing also helps the surfaces on snowblowers.

[email protected] February 2nd 11 10:23 PM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On Feb 2, 3:48*pm, Ecnerwal
wrote:

If you don't happen to have that, use whatever paste wax you have - car
wax if you have it, other floor wax if need be, but bowling alley wax
really works very well if you have it or can get it. Given how long it
works, it's much "easier" than a spray can, IMHO.

I use some microcrystalline wax. It is the stuff used for lost wax
casting and works well, but any wax will work. I tried using some PAM
and it works, just does not last as long.

By the way, I used a garden fork ( like a spade, but with four tines )
to get some ice off the driveway. I think it might be better than a
scraper with a solid blade. Think ice pick.

Dan

Jon Anderson February 2nd 11 10:56 PM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On 2/2/2011 12:34 PM, Ignoramus27303 wrote:

I had a few issues today with snow sticking to shovels. I would like
to know if there is some kind of spray that would work for at least a
day and would keep shovel free of snow.

I would suggest giving cross country ski wax a try. It's designed to
prevent just that. Well, I'm not sure anyone actually waxes XC skis
anymore, been a couple decades since I did any of that.
There was also, back then, a liquid for application to waxless skis,
Glide I think it was called. Believe it had teflon. I used this stuff a
lot, never had to reapply during a skiing session.

Doesn't that just suck all to hell when you swing a shovel full of snow
and the lump refuses to depart at the end of the swing? I've taken my
back out a couple times from that...

Jon

Joseph Gwinn February 2nd 11 11:44 PM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

In article
,
Ecnerwal wrote:

In article ,
Ignoramus27303 wrote:

[...]

I use Butcher's paste wax as well, and it works well. Sold in hardware
stores.

I also use the grain shovel. Although it flexes disturbingly, it has
not broken yet.

Joe Gwinn

[email protected] February 2nd 11 11:58 PM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On Feb 2, 1:34*pm, Ignoramus27303 ignoramus27...@NOSPAM.
27303.invalid wrote:
We are very seriously snowed in.

I took care of most of the volume with my miiltary snowblower where I
replaced the engine a few years ago.

I had a few issues today with snow sticking to shovels. I would like
to know if there is some kind of spray that would work for at least a
day and would keep shovel free of snow.

Wax is good, even paraffin will have some effect. Blade has to be
warm and dry when applied. I've seen guys trying to use WD40, will
work for a bit until it drips/runs/is worn off. For larger blades, my
dad used graphite paint on his plow, got it from one of the implement
dealers. Not sure if it was the graphite that did it or just that it
was black and soaked up the sun.

I find that steel shovel blades have less problems with snow sticking
than aluminum or plastic. Just hard finding a new one with more than
an inch or two of wear surface. Mostly they're fastening the handle
waaay too close to the blade edge. Makes for quicker return trips to
the store for new ones.

Stan

Jon Elson[_3_] February 2nd 11 11:59 PM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On 02/02/2011 02:34 PM, Ignoramus27303 wrote:
We are very seriously snowed in.

I took care of most of the volume with my miiltary snowblower where I
replaced the engine a few years ago.

I had a few issues today with snow sticking to shovels. I would like
to know if there is some kind of spray that would work for at least a
day and would keep shovel free of snow.

We had the weirdest snow I've ever seen here in St. Louis. I have seen
graupel a number of times before - raindrops that froze before hitting
the ground. But, we had over 24 HOURS of steady graupel here, before it
finally changed to snow just before ending. The stuff is like trying to
shovel wet cement! So, the entire storm left about 3" of this stuff
that was sort of like wet beach sand.

One odd observation. I used my crummy snowblower to clear part of my
driveway yesterday. Then, it snowed some more that night. Where I had
used the snowblower, the new snow was light and fluffy, easy to clear
with the snowblower. Where I DIDN'T get it cleared the previous day,
there must have been unfrozen water in the graupel, and it caused the
new snow to freeze into white cement! The snowblower just slid on the
surface, and you couldn't push it into the stuff at all.

Jon

Phil Kangas[_3_] February 3rd 11 12:01 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

"Ignoramus27303"
wrote in
message
We are very seriously snowed in.

I took care of most of the volume with my
miiltary snowblower where I
replaced the engine a few years ago.

I had a few issues today with snow sticking to
shovels. I would like
to know if there is some kind of spray that
would work for at least a
day and would keep shovel free of snow.

Try moly based dry film lubricant. It is black in
color though.

Ignoramus27303 February 3rd 11 12:41 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On 2011-02-02, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus27303 wrote:

[...]

Well, on the shovel, it worked REALLY GREAT!

I was done using the snowblower today, but I will try waxing the chute
the next time I use it.

It has a big motor, but does not throw the snow as far as I would
like.

dan February 3rd 11 12:45 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

Ecnerwal wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Wed, 02 Feb 2011 15:48:54 -0500:

I put Butcher's bowling alley wax (paste carnauba (turps vehicle),
applied & polished with a rag) on my snow shovel (which is an aluminum
grain shovel, and beats the pants off most "snow shovels" in serious
snow, while working OK in the fluffy stuff they work on) back in
November - it's still working. Bring the shovel inside, get it good and
dry, warm helps, apply wax, polish, get it good and cold, use it.

That last bit is important. A warm shovel will become wet, then
re-freeze, and stick to snow. Keep your shovel outside in the shade.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Ignoramus27303 February 3rd 11 12:50 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

By the way, I tried looking for "bowling wax", and it looks like there is
a bewildering amount of choices. Could someone recommend one specific
wax to me?

Exhausted in Illinois

Ignoramus27303 February 3rd 11 12:51 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On 2011-02-02, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article
,
Ecnerwal wrote:

In article ,
Ignoramus27303 wrote:

[...]

My Yo-Ho shovel (McMaster) broke today, after just two years of use. I
fixed it though.

Ignoramus27303 February 3rd 11 12:56 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On 2011-02-02, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 2/2/2011 12:34 PM, Ignoramus27303 wrote:

I had a few issues today with snow sticking to shovels. I would like
to know if there is some kind of spray that would work for at least a
day and would keep shovel free of snow.

I would suggest giving cross country ski wax a try. It's designed to
prevent just that. Well, I'm not sure anyone actually waxes XC skis
anymore, been a couple decades since I did any of that.
There was also, back then, a liquid for application to waxless skis,
Glide I think it was called. Believe it had teflon. I used this stuff a
lot, never had to reapply during a skiing session.

Doesn't that just suck all to hell when you swing a shovel full of snow
and the lump refuses to depart at the end of the swing? I've taken my
back out a couple times from that...

Jon

Jon, I used a very strange blue/green substance that is called "car
wax". It feels like some sort of soft gel. Despite its weird
appearance, it worked very well. I applied it relatively generously
and wiped down.

Pete C. February 3rd 11 12:58 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On 2011-02-02, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus27303 wrote:

[...]

If it's a two stage blower and is working properly it should have no
trouble throwing most snow (not really wet snow) at least 10'.

Ignoramus27303 February 3rd 11 01:01 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On 2011-02-02, Jon Elson wrote:
[...]

"Thou shalt clear snow the same day", this is now a rule that I try to
never break! I goofed once on this and regretted it so much, we had a
icy nightmare on the drvieway for weeks.

Stormin Mormon February 3rd 11 01:11 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

My Dad used to use that on his shovel. Wonder if it works on
snow throwers?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Pete C. February 3rd 11 01:13 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

Ignoramus27303 wrote:

"Thou shalt clear snow the same day", this is now a rule that I try to
never break! I goofed once on this and regretted it so much, we had a
icy nightmare on the drvieway for weeks.

Heh, we're encased in ice here in N. TX. I had to drive home 50 miles in
it yesterday evening and the highways were still well crusted with ice
2"-4" thick. Traffic in what is normally a 70 MPH zone was going 25-30
MPH, even the semis. Now that I'm home, I'm going to try to hibernate
until the ice is gone which should be this weekend.

Stormin Mormon February 3rd 11 01:15 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

But, is it black of heart?

I wonder about furniture spray like Pledge. Endust.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon February 3rd 11 01:16 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

Safety is good. My little S-10 Blazer was lost to a wreck,
two months ago. I suspect a sleeping rig driver more than
weather problems.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

ster.com...

Ignoramus27303 February 3rd 11 01:50 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On 2011-02-03, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus27303 wrote:

"Thou shalt clear snow the same day", this is now a rule that I try to
never break! I goofed once on this and regretted it so much, we had a
icy nightmare on the drvieway for weeks.

Heh, we're encased in ice here in N. TX. I had to drive home 50 miles in
it yesterday evening and the highways were still well crusted with ice
2"-4" thick. Traffic in what is normally a 70 MPH zone was going 25-30
MPH, even the semis. Now that I'm home, I'm going to try to hibernate
until the ice is gone which should be this weekend.

I would like to hibernate, too.

Phil Kangas[_3_] February 3rd 11 02:14 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

"Stormin Mormon"
wrote in
message
But, is it black of heart?

I wonder about furniture spray like Pledge.
Endust.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Phil Kangas"
wrote in message

Try moly based dry film lubricant. It is black
in
color though.

Guys with plow trucks may not want a black plow
for visibility reasons. Others may not want to
blacken that nice junk aluminum shovel. I know
one guy that has a large end loader and he
treats his bucket with parafin. He puts it in a
regular spray gun with a large nozzel, heats
the can with a torch to liquify the parafin then
sprays it on the bucket. He swears by it.....YMMV
phil

[email protected] February 3rd 11 03:12 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 14:34:54 -0600, Ignoramus27303
wrote:

We are very seriously snowed in.

I took care of most of the volume with my miiltary snowblower where I
replaced the engine a few years ago.

I had a few issues today with snow sticking to shovels. I would like
to know if there is some kind of spray that would work for at least a
day and would keep shovel free of snow.

Silicone spray.
Boot waterproof spray or the old oven non-stick spray both work if you
don't have silicone lub spray on hand.
Usually good for several weeks per application.

[email protected] February 3rd 11 03:13 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:23:24 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Feb 2, 3:48Â*pm, Ecnerwal
wrote:

If you don't happen to have that, use whatever paste wax you have - car
wax if you have it, other floor wax if need be, but bowling alley wax
really works very well if you have it or can get it. Given how long it
works, it's much "easier" than a spray can, IMHO.

I use some microcrystalline wax. It is the stuff used for lost wax
casting and works well, but any wax will work. I tried using some PAM
and it works, just does not last as long.

By the way, I used a garden fork ( like a spade, but with four tines )
to get some ice off the driveway. I think it might be better than a
scraper with a solid blade. Think ice pick.

Dan

BoeShield - but it's pricy.

[email protected] February 3rd 11 03:17 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 18:41:14 -0600, Ignoramus27303

On 2011-02-02, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus27303 wrote:

[...]

Will generally thow significantly farther to the right than the left
due to the direction of rotation of the impeller - if it follows the
chute instead of trying to change direction, particularly wetter and
heavier snow goes a lot farther.

[email protected] February 3rd 11 03:20 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 18:58:59 -0600, "Pete C."

On 2011-02-02, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus27303 wrote:

[...]

If my 4 HP blower could not throw relatively dry snow twice that far
I'd get rid of it. The stuff that fell/blew in from Texas last night
was going at least 20 feet this afternoon.

[email protected] February 3rd 11 03:21 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 20:15:36 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

But, is it black of heart?

I wonder about furniture spray like Pledge. Endust.

Whatever you use, it needs to be highly water resistant.

[email protected] February 3rd 11 03:21 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 19:50:31 -0600, Ignoramus27303

Pete C. February 3rd 11 03:30 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On 2011-02-02, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus27303 wrote:

[...]

I said at least 10', the drier the snow the easier it is to throw
further.

Ignoramus27303 February 3rd 11 03:33 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On 2011-02-03, Pete C. wrote:

wrote:
It has a big motor, but does not throw the snow as far as I would
like.

If it's a two stage blower and is working properly it should have no
trouble throwing most snow (not really wet snow) at least 10'.

If my 4 HP blower could not throw relatively dry snow twice that far
I'd get rid of it. The stuff that fell/blew in from Texas last night
was going at least 20 feet this afternoon.

I said at least 10', the drier the snow the easier it is to throw
further.

I would say it throws it about 8 feet or so in the good direction, and
less in the other. I would like to understand a little better, what
exactly is going on. Could it be that the original motor had higher RPMs?

Rich Grise[_3_] February 3rd 11 03:56 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

Ignoramus27303 wrote:

By the way, I tried looking for "bowling wax", and it looks like there is
a bewildering amount of choices. Could someone recommend one specific
wax to me?

Exhausted in Illinois

Wax is wax. You could melt a block of paraffin and pour it on the shovel
and it'd lubricate it.

If I was going the "bowling wax" route, I'd either look for carnauba,
jojoba, or whichever was cheapest.

Turtle wax should be fine; it holds up on a car, after all. :-)

BTW, is this a bent shovel? I used one once, and I swear by it, rather
than at it! ;-)

Have Fun!
Rich

Rich Grise[_3_] February 3rd 11 03:58 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On 2011-02-02, Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus27303 wrote:

This makes sense, I have car wax, so that is what I will try indeed!

Waxing also helps the surfaces on snowblowers.

Well, on the shovel, it worked REALLY GREAT!

I was done using the snowblower today, but I will try waxing the chute
the next time I use it.

It has a big motor, but does not throw the snow as far as I would
like.

Don't forget to do the auger!

Cheers!
Rich

Rich Grise[_3_] February 3rd 11 04:06 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

Ignoramus27303 wrote:

My Yo-Ho shovel (McMaster) broke today, after just two years of use. I
fixed it though.

What's a "Yo-Ho" shovel? I just went and looked at "shovels" at McM, and
none was called a "Yo-Ho." What's up with that?

If I ever move back to the Frozen Tundra again, I'm buying a bent
shovel. :-) (or a snowblower, or just hire a crew, depending on the amount
of my lottery winnings! ;-) )

Thanks,
Rich

Rich Grise[_3_] February 3rd 11 04:08 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

Ignoramus27303 wrote:

We are very seriously snowed in.

I took care of most of the volume with my miiltary snowblower where I
replaced the engine a few years ago.

I had a few issues today with snow sticking to shovels. I would like
to know if there is some kind of spray that would work for at least a
day and would keep shovel free of snow.

Hell, just dip a paper towel in some transmission fluid and slather it
on! Even used will work, if you strain out the metal bits. ;-)

Have Fun!
Rich

Rich Grise[_3_] February 3rd 11 04:09 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

Ignoramus27303 wrote:
On 2011-02-02, Jon Anderson wrote:
[...]

Turtle wax? ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Rich Grise[_3_] February 3rd 11 04:10 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

Jon Elson wrote:
[...]

Must be that damn Denialist Propaganda! :-D

Cheers!
Rich

Larry Jaques[_3_] February 3rd 11 04:12 AM

Anti-snow-stick Spray

On 2011-02-02, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus27303 wrote:

[...]

Then wax the snow, too. I ended up putting my car wax, NuCar polymer,
on my DISH antenna back in the day. It helped shed the snow purt well.

--
Woe be to him that reads but one book.
-- George Herbert