Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Anti-snow-stick Spray

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 15:58:04 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Feb 2, 1:34*pm, Ignoramus27303 ignoramus27...@NOSPAM.
27303.invalid wrote:
We are very seriously snowed in.

I took care of most of the volume with my miiltary snowblower where I
replaced the engine a few years ago.

I had a few issues today with snow sticking to shovels. I would like
to know if there is some kind of spray that would work for at least a
day and would keep shovel free of snow.

Wax is good, even paraffin will have some effect. Blade has to be
warm and dry when applied. I've seen guys trying to use WD40, will
work for a bit until it drips/runs/is worn off. For larger blades, my
dad used graphite paint on his plow, got it from one of the implement
dealers. Not sure if it was the graphite that did it or just that it
was black and soaked up the sun.

I find that steel shovel blades have less problems with snow sticking
than aluminum or plastic. Just hard finding a new one with more than
an inch or two of wear surface. Mostly they're fastening the handle
waaay too close to the blade edge. Makes for quicker return trips to
the store for new ones.

Stan

20 years ago I bought a couple $5 snow shovels. Now the blades are
worn back to the ribs and the handles have broken at the socket and
been reinstalled twice but the shovels are still usable. Of course I
also have the 8 Tecumseh ponies to help clear my eight car driveway
and a puddle hunting area of the yard for puppy as well as three or
six neighbours as required.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada