Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anti-snow-stick Spray

wrote:

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 18:58:59 -0600, "Pete C."

On 2011-02-02, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus27303 wrote:

We are very seriously snowed in.

I took care of most of the volume with my miiltary snowblower where I
replaced the engine a few years ago.

I had a few issues today with snow sticking to shovels. I would like
to know if there is some kind of spray that would work for at least a
day and would keep shovel free of snow.

People use lots of silicone spray to try this "easy" approach. Doesn't
work (for any length of time). There was also a waxy spray back in the
day, but it didn't work too well either (that spray finish , and the wax
was sticky to be wax that could go in a can and be sprayed).

I put Butcher's bowling alley wax (paste carnauba (turps vehicle),
applied & polished with a rag) on my snow shovel (which is an aluminum
grain shovel, and beats the pants off most "snow shovels" in serious
snow, while working OK in the fluffy stuff they work on) back in
November - it's still working. Bring the shovel inside, get it good and
dry, warm helps, apply wax, polish, get it good and cold, use it.

If you don't happen to have that, use whatever paste wax you have - car
wax if you have it, other floor wax if need be, but bowling alley wax
really works very well if you have it or can get it. Given how long it
works, it's much "easier" than a spray can, IMHO.

This makes sense, I have car wax, so that is what I will try indeed!

Waxing also helps the surfaces on snowblowers.

Well, on the shovel, it worked REALLY GREAT!

I was done using the snowblower today, but I will try waxing the chute
the next time I use it.

It has a big motor, but does not throw the snow as far as I would
like.

If it's a two stage blower and is working properly it should have no
trouble throwing most snow (not really wet snow) at least 10'.

If my 4 HP blower could not throw relatively dry snow twice that far
I'd get rid of it. The stuff that fell/blew in from Texas last night
was going at least 20 feet this afternoon.

Sure, but that's TEXAS snow. ;-)

Teflon coated.