Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crocus cloth?

I must have been in 10 different hardware stores this last week trying
to scare up one sheet of crocus cloth. Even at the place where I got
a sheet a few months back, all I get is "wuzzat?" The Ace chain seems
to have wiped the stuff completely from corporate inventory and
memory. The hole is there where it used to be but no sheets. I can
find it online, in big bundles or expensive rolls, but all I need is
one sheet. Just another sign of the Decline of Western
Civilization...

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 7, 3:21*pm, wrote:
I must have been in 10 different hardware stores this last week trying
to scare up one sheet of crocus cloth. *Even at the place where I got
a sheet a few months back, all I get is "wuzzat?" *The Ace chain seems
to have wiped the stuff completely from corporate inventory and
memory. *The hole is there where it used to be but no sheets. *I can
find it online, in big bundles or expensive rolls, but all I need is
one sheet. *Just another sign of the Decline of Western
Civilization...

Stan

Emery cloth is available at Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/R-1005...atalogId=10053

Another source might be a plumbing supply store.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Would steel wool substitute?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 7, 4:47*pm, "Denis G." wrote:
On Jan 7, 3:21*pm, wrote:

I must have been in 10 different hardware stores this last week trying
to scare up one sheet of crocus cloth. *Even at the place where I got
a sheet a few months back, all I get is "wuzzat?" *The Ace chain seems
to have wiped the stuff completely from corporate inventory and
memory. *The hole is there where it used to be but no sheets. *I can
find it online, in big bundles or expensive rolls, but all I need is
one sheet. *Just another sign of the Decline of Western
Civilization...

Stan

Emery cloth is available at Home Depot:http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/R-1005...isplay?product...

Another source might be a plumbing supply store.

Everyone has emery cloth. Crocus is ultrafine rouge on a cloth
backing, used for polishing. I use it, in small chunks, for polishing
small shafts, holes and finishing gun chambers. 1500 and 2000 grit
WoD ISN'T a substitute, neither is steel or bronze wool, all of which
are readily available. Crocus has little to do with painting, but
WAS, until recently, in the same pigeon holes as the sandpaper at the
hardware stores. Has completely vanished. I checked on NAPA's online
site, never heard of it. Doesn't mean that some old-timey auto parts
place doesn't have it, just not around here. I guess guys don't worry
about polishing shafts up anymore before reinstalling, just replace
the works and leave it to the parts rebuilders.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in
:

On Jan 7, 4:47*pm, "Denis G." wrote:
On Jan 7, 3:21*pm, wrote:

I must have been in 10 different hardware stores this last week
trying to scare up one sheet of crocus cloth. *Even at the place
where I got a sheet a few months back, all I get is "wuzzat?" *The
Ace chain seem

to have wiped the stuff completely from corporate inventory and
memory. *The hole is there where it used to be but no sheets. *I ca

find it online, in big bundles or expensive rolls, but all I need
is one sheet. *Just another sign of the Decline of Western
Civilization...

Stan

Emery cloth is available at Home
Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/R-10
0562118/h_d2/ProductDisplay?product...

Another source might be a plumbing supply store.

Everyone has emery cloth. Crocus is ultrafine rouge on a cloth
backing, used for polishing. I use it, in small chunks, for polishing
small shafts, holes and finishing gun chambers. 1500 and 2000 grit
WoD ISN'T a substitute, neither is steel or bronze wool, all of which
are readily available. Crocus has little to do with painting, but
WAS, until recently, in the same pigeon holes as the sandpaper at the
hardware stores. Has completely vanished. I checked on NAPA's online
site, never heard of it. Doesn't mean that some old-timey auto parts
place doesn't have it, just not around here. I guess guys don't worry
about polishing shafts up anymore before reinstalling, just replace
the works and leave it to the parts rebuilders.

McMaster Carr: 10 sheets $19.16

http://www.mcmaster.com/#crocus-cloth/=ai52i7

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 8, 11:22*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
wrote:
I must have been in 10 different hardware stores this last week trying
to scare up one sheet of crocus cloth. *...

If it had been me, after I'd been to 2 or 3, I would have turned to the
web. *Yeah, it might take a few days to get, but that beats running all
over.

3rd hit from Google:http://www.amazon.com/Crocus-Cloth-S.../dp/B0006M2SQQ

Bob

Your link was interesting in that it specified J-weight for the cloth
backing. I didn't know that there was such a specification, but it
certainly makes sense that there could be different grades of cloth
backing for abrasives. Apparently J-weight is a light cloth backing.
The wikipedia entry on sandpaper lists J, Y, X, T and M as abrasive
cloth weights from lightest to heaviest.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/8/2011 2:37 AM, Kevin(Bluey) wrote:

I asked for it at the local engineering supply recently where I got the
it before a few years back , and just got a blank stare in return .
I hope they still make it as it's good stuff.

Hmm, I'm learning a lot of things I thought would be hard to obtain
there, are available fairly easily. But sounds like this is something
I'll want to stock up on before I head over...

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/9/2011 6:16 AM, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 1/8/2011 2:37 AM, Kevin(Bluey) wrote:

I asked for it at the local engineering supply recently where I got the
it before a few years back , and just got a blank stare in return .
I hope they still make it as it's good stuff.

Hmm, I'm learning a lot of things I thought would be hard to obtain
there, are available fairly easily. But sounds like this is something
I'll want to stock up on before I head over...

Jon

Hi Jon ,
I'm sure it's available here just hard to find , if I can't get a
resupply I will turn to the www and purchase on line.
I have been using it sparingly ,but will have to look for some more.
There is good link to McMaster-carr posted in this thread they have a
selection of grits available.
There is a guy in Queensland called the "sandpaperman" he seems to have
a good supply of abrasives ,I may try to see if he can get it.
The shop where I bought it before has changed owners and they seem to
need educating as to what crocus cloth is.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 8, 7:36*pm, Martin Eastburn wrote:
J must be for tight bends. *Used in model building and forms.
Martin

On 1/8/2011 1:52 PM, Denis G. wrote:

On Jan 8, 11:22 am, Bob *wrote:
wrote:
I must have been in 10 different hardware stores this last week trying
to scare up one sheet of crocus cloth. *...

If it had been me, after I'd been to 2 or 3, I would have turned to the
web. *Yeah, it might take a few days to get, but that beats running all
over.

3rd hit from Google:http://www.amazon.com/Crocus-Cloth-S.../dp/B0006M2SQQ

Bob

Your link was interesting in that it specified J-weight for the cloth
backing. *I didn't know that there was such a specification, but it
certainly makes sense that there could be different grades of cloth
backing for abrasives. *Apparently J-weight is a light cloth backing.
The wikipedia entry on sandpaper lists J, Y, X, T and M as abrasive
cloth weights from lightest to heaviest.- Hide quoted text -

That could well be the intention. In addition to the grit and type of
abrasives, I'm not sure how they control other factors like amount of
abrasive per area and types and amounts of adhesives used, but those
things would also also contribute to the cloth's ability to take
form. I like to hang onto the old stuff, but when it gets so tattered
and loaded up, it does become useless. I supposed that one could also
use a cloth and polishing compound, but it's probably a lot more messy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 8, 10:50*pm, Don Foreman wrote:
On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 13:21:25 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I must have been in 10 different hardware stores this last week trying
to scare up one sheet of crocus cloth. *Even at the place where I got
a sheet a few months back, all I get is "wuzzat?" *The Ace chain seems
to have wiped the stuff completely from corporate inventory and
memory. *The hole is there where it used to be but no sheets. *I can
find it online, in big bundles or expensive rolls, but all I need is
one sheet. *Just another sign of the Decline of Western
Civilization...

Stan

This might be worth a look:http://tinyurl.com/35u5fbq

No crocus to be seen there!

Tried to hit a True Value today, just another empty store front for
rent. There's another one thirty miles down the pike that might have
it, but before I make that trip, I'll order it off the net. Looks
like we're down to Ace and the various big boxes, no independants, for
hardware. If they don't have the stuff, it's order it from somewhere
else and hope they've got it in stock. I don't NEED a lifetime supply
of crocus cloth to store, but it's looking like that's what I'll have
to get.

As far as wasting gas, I'm hitting places en route to others. And
several Aces I've bought the stuff at before.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote in
:

http://tinyurl.com/35u5fbq

I have some small sheets of this that came in an assortment, and it's OK. I
still keep some crocus cloth handy. The cost of the plastic film stuff is
about half that of crocus cloth from Mcmaster, and the plastic backing is
pretty tough. The abrasive coating is much thinner than on crocus cloth,
so it wears away or clogs much faster.

They each have their uses.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 22:04:56 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Jan 8, 10:50*pm, Don Foreman wrote:
On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 13:21:25 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I must have been in 10 different hardware stores this last week trying
to scare up one sheet of crocus cloth. *Even at the place where I got
a sheet a few months back, all I get is "wuzzat?" *The Ace chain seems
to have wiped the stuff completely from corporate inventory and
memory. *The hole is there where it used to be but no sheets. *I can
find it online, in big bundles or expensive rolls, but all I need is
one sheet. *Just another sign of the Decline of Western
Civilization...

Stan

This might be worth a look:
http://tinyurl.com/35u5fbq

No crocus to be seen there!

No, but there was lots of very fine grit paper.

Tried to hit a True Value today, just another empty store front for
rent. There's another one thirty miles down the pike that might have
it, but before I make that trip, I'll order it off the net. Looks
like we're down to Ace and the various big boxes, no independants, for
hardware. If they don't have the stuff, it's order it from somewhere
else and hope they've got it in stock. I don't NEED a lifetime supply
of crocus cloth to store, but it's looking like that's what I'll have
to get.

Stan, buy a bucketfull and sell the individuals on eBay (or to other
hopefuls here) to recoup your costs and make a profit.

Have you tried local machineshops and auto repair places? Even if
they don't have any for sale, they certainly have a source. I haven't
used any crocus cloth since I got out of wrenchin'.

http://www.shorinternational.com/Emery.php Indicates that their
source is no longer even -making- crocus cloth.

Hey, howzbout a little jar of diamond paste and a strip of old Levi
jeans? sigh

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Caution!

Dad was building a Brass Chase Engine - in the 50's. Then Korea
occurred and the small company went belly up. Partial kit. Brass and
and beautiful design, but not all there.

He got with it a roll of Crocus Cloth that was 12" in diameter and 2 or
3 inches in the middle. The cloth was great to use - it is more or
less cerium oxide cemented on with a water based glue. UGH - absorbs
room moisture and the oxide would fall off. Destroyed the roll by
keeping it in the shop.

So I suggest you get some gel packs that are within packages of xyz you
buy or get - or maybe find some at an outdoor store. Keep it dry.

Martin

On Jan 8, 11:22 am, Bob wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 09:39:27 +0930, "Kevin(Bluey)"
wrote:

[...]

Ive bought a goodly quantity of sand papers, crocus and other media on
Ebay from Barbkat..a lady who does a marvelous job of selling such media
at very very fair prices

http://www.barbkat.com/

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 9, 7:54*pm, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Caution!

Dad was building a Brass Chase Engine - in the 50's. *Then Korea
occurred and the small company went belly up. *Partial kit. *Brass and
and beautiful design, but not all there.

He got with it a roll of Crocus Cloth that was 12" in diameter and 2 or
3 inches in the middle. * The cloth was great to use - it is more or
less cerium oxide cemented on with a water based glue. *UGH - absorbs
room moisture and the oxide would fall off. *Destroyed the roll by
keeping it in the shop.

So I suggest you get some gel packs that are within packages of xyz you
buy or get - or maybe find some at an outdoor store. *Keep it dry.

Martin

Have never had that happen, I suspect abrasive adhesives have changed
a lot since the late '40s and '50s. I've had sheets hang around for
years with no particular care in storage and I've been in some pretty
wet places, at least parts of the year. True crocus is fine rouge,
iron oxide, not cerium oxide. Not that cerium oxide cloth wouldn't be
helpful sometimes... Usually you have to buy that as powder or paste
and apply it to whatever polishing medium you're using, usually hard
felt or cloth wheels.

I suspect a major domestic supplier has either gone out of business or
has discontinued a slow-moving product. Most of the internet
offerings are from offshore.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/10/2011 12:42 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Ive bought a goodly quantity of sand papers, crocus and other media on
Ebay from Barbkat..a lady who does a marvelous job of selling such media
at very very fair prices

Thanks for that one, site bookmarked...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 16:05:29 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 1/10/2011 12:42 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Ive bought a goodly quantity of sand papers, crocus and other media on
Ebay from Barbkat..a lady who does a marvelous job of selling such media
at very very fair prices

Thanks for that one, site bookmarked...

Jon

Check her ebay auctions as well. She makes buying from her very
pleasent.

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein

you like a new photos without cloth : fathima Home Repair 0 January 24th 08 04:21 PM
3 piece suite cloth John Smith UK diy 0 March 27th 06 09:05 PM
What cloth dryer to buy? Alex Home Repair 1 December 4th 05 12:19 AM
Tack Cloth Alternative buck Woodworking 11 December 16th 04 04:49 AM
Tack Cloth Terry Kemmerer Woodworking 11 August 10th 04 08:16 PM