Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crocus cloth?

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 22:04:56 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Jan 8, 10:50*pm, Don Foreman wrote:
On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 13:21:25 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I must have been in 10 different hardware stores this last week trying
to scare up one sheet of crocus cloth. *Even at the place where I got
a sheet a few months back, all I get is "wuzzat?" *The Ace chain seems
to have wiped the stuff completely from corporate inventory and
memory. *The hole is there where it used to be but no sheets. *I can
find it online, in big bundles or expensive rolls, but all I need is
one sheet. *Just another sign of the Decline of Western
Civilization...

Stan

This might be worth a look:
http://tinyurl.com/35u5fbq

No crocus to be seen there!

No, but there was lots of very fine grit paper.

Tried to hit a True Value today, just another empty store front for
rent. There's another one thirty miles down the pike that might have
it, but before I make that trip, I'll order it off the net. Looks
like we're down to Ace and the various big boxes, no independants, for
hardware. If they don't have the stuff, it's order it from somewhere
else and hope they've got it in stock. I don't NEED a lifetime supply
of crocus cloth to store, but it's looking like that's what I'll have
to get.

Stan, buy a bucketfull and sell the individuals on eBay (or to other
hopefuls here) to recoup your costs and make a profit.

Have you tried local machineshops and auto repair places? Even if
they don't have any for sale, they certainly have a source. I haven't
used any crocus cloth since I got out of wrenchin'.

http://www.shorinternational.com/Emery.php Indicates that their
source is no longer even -making- crocus cloth.

Hey, howzbout a little jar of diamond paste and a strip of old Levi
jeans? sigh

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope