Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crocus cloth?

Caution!

Dad was building a Brass Chase Engine - in the 50's. Then Korea
occurred and the small company went belly up. Partial kit. Brass and
and beautiful design, but not all there.

He got with it a roll of Crocus Cloth that was 12" in diameter and 2 or
3 inches in the middle. The cloth was great to use - it is more or
less cerium oxide cemented on with a water based glue. UGH - absorbs
room moisture and the oxide would fall off. Destroyed the roll by
keeping it in the shop.

So I suggest you get some gel packs that are within packages of xyz you
buy or get - or maybe find some at an outdoor store. Keep it dry.

Martin

On 1/8/2011 11:12 PM, Denis G. wrote:
On Jan 8, 7:36 pm, Martin wrote:
J must be for tight bends. Used in model building and forms.
Martin

On 1/8/2011 1:52 PM, Denis G. wrote:

On Jan 8, 11:22 am, Bob wrote:
wrote:
I must have been in 10 different hardware stores this last week trying
to scare up one sheet of crocus cloth. ...

If it had been me, after I'd been to 2 or 3, I would have turned to the
web. Yeah, it might take a few days to get, but that beats running all
over.

3rd hit from Google:http://www.amazon.com/Crocus-Cloth-S.../dp/B0006M2SQQ

Bob

Your link was interesting in that it specified J-weight for the cloth
backing. I didn't know that there was such a specification, but it
certainly makes sense that there could be different grades of cloth
backing for abrasives. Apparently J-weight is a light cloth backing.
The wikipedia entry on sandpaper lists J, Y, X, T and M as abrasive
cloth weights from lightest to heaviest.- Hide quoted text -

That could well be the intention. In addition to the grit and type of
abrasives, I'm not sure how they control other factors like amount of
abrasive per area and types and amounts of adhesives used, but those
things would also also contribute to the cloth's ability to take
form. I like to hang onto the old stuff, but when it gets so tattered
and loaded up, it does become useless. I supposed that one could also
use a cloth and polishing compound, but it's probably a lot more messy.