Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Capturing the end of a garage door spring when hook breaks off

When a garage door spring broke the other day, I fashioned a "fix" for
it by bending a piece of strap iron:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...DoorSpring.jpg

Does anybody have any experience with this approach and can tell me how
well it's going to work? So far so good, but I'm a little nervous about it.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 11, 8:46*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
When a garage door spring broke the other day, I fashioned a "fix" for
it by bending a piece of strap iron:http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...DoorSpring.jpg

Does anybody have any experience with this approach and can tell me how
well it's going to work? *So far so good, but I'm a little nervous about it.

Thanks,
Bob

I would be too, since the other hooks are just as old. Good excuse for
a visit to O'Connor's.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Looks like it will work Bob, but you could have taken an Acet/Oxy
torch, heated up a spot and bent it 90 degrees to the coils to form a
new "end" on the spring. I've done that and had no problems.
Ken.

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 20:46:15 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

When a garage door spring broke the other day, I fashioned a "fix" for
it by bending a piece of strap iron:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...DoorSpring.jpg

Does anybody have any experience with this approach and can tell me how
well it's going to work? So far so good, but I'm a little nervous about it.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 11, 5:46*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
When a garage door spring broke the other day, I fashioned a "fix" for
it by bending a piece of strap iron:http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...DoorSpring.jpg

Does anybody have any experience with this approach and can tell me how
well it's going to work? *So far so good, but I'm a little nervous about it.

Thanks,
Bob

Where are you located, Bob? I have two springs just like that with the
paint still on them. Left from a Home Depot screw up several years
ago. My doors are all the spring around the shaft type. Would love to
lighten the shop a bit.

Let me know. Relaxed length and diameter. Just pay for UPS ground.

Paul in Central Oregon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

When a garage door spring broke the other day, I fashioned a "fix" for
it by bending a piece of strap iron:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...DoorSpring.jpg

Does anybody have any experience with this approach and can tell me how
well it's going to work? So far so good, but I'm a little nervous about it.

Thanks,
Bob

At least put a hose clamp around it.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 11, 7:46*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
When a garage door spring broke the other day, I fashioned a "fix" for
it by bending a piece of strap iron:http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...DoorSpring.jpg

Does anybody have any experience with this approach and can tell me how
well it's going to work? *So far so good, but I'm a little nervous about it.

Thanks,
Bob

It will work for now.

It is time to go get a replacement though...the other end will be
suffering metal fatigue also..and it is just a matter of time before
it fails too.

I would also recommend replacing the other spring for the same reason.

Yes I know it is still working BUT metal fatigue is real and the
springs are nearing their useful life.

I used to only replace one spring too...until the other spring
repeatily failed . ;)

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Does anybody have any experience with this approach and can tell me how
well it's going to work? So far so good, but I'm a little nervous about it.

It looks like a sturdy repair. I *would* shop for replacement springs to have on hand if
the next break isn't at an endpoint.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

[...]

Yes, like shoelaces, you don't usually replace just the one which broke,
do you?

I've torched and bent new hook ends on those springs more than once and
they held up quite a while. Particularly on springs which had a sharp
bend where the hook joined the spring coils. Those bends looked like a
sure stress producer to me.

If you buy new springs to replace those rusty ones you've got to match
the strength of the new springs to the weight of the door. Judging from
the amount of rust in your photos you probably won't be able to read the
color coding (if any) on those springs.

An easy way to measure the weight of the door if you don't have a scale
which will accept that much weight is to use a bathroom scale an a
lever made from a couple of feet of 2 by 4 with one end on a small
piece of wood on the center of the scale platform and the other end on a
brick or something the same height as the scale platform.

Position that rig so the center of the 2 by 4 is under the bottom edge
of the door when it's down. With both springs disconnected (get a helper
if needed) lower the door onto the center of the 2 by 4. The scale
reading will be half the door's weight. If the scale still tops out move
the rig so that the door hits the 2 by 4 one third of its length from
the "brick end" and multiply the scale reading by 3.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ken wrote:
Looks like it will work Bob, but you could have taken an Acet/Oxy
torch, heated up a spot and bent it 90 degrees to the coils to form a
new "end" on the spring. I've done that and had no problems.

Boy, that would make me _really_ nervous. I'd worry about changing the
metallurgy & weakening it. But you've "had no problems", so maybe I;ll
try it next time. Do you do anything special about cooling it?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:57:43 -0500, Gardner
78436578346587364578364578@kjhgfjkerhfjksdhfjkdfh kjhjkgfsdhfjdhfjkhfjkgfh.com
wrote:

On 11-Dec-2010 22:09, Larry Jaques wrote:

I can't wait for the net nannies to start screaming "DANGER!" and
telling you to let a professional do it.

Bob's is not a torsion spring. It's the torsion springs folks worry
about -- and not without reason. This is the best resource I've found:
http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm

Gardner, the torsion springs are the safest of the two styles, BY FAR!
You guys sure wimp out on the simplest things, I swear.

BTW, your post qualifies. sigh

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

KD7HB wrote:
Where are you located, Bob? I have two springs just like that with the
paint still on them. Left from a Home Depot screw up several years
ago. My doors are all the spring around the shaft type. Would love to
lighten the shop a bit.

Let me know. Relaxed length and diameter. Just pay for UPS ground.

Paul, thanks but I didn't see your post until after I had ordered new ones.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
It will work for now.

It is time to go get a replacement though...the other end will be
suffering metal fatigue also..and it is just a matter of time before
it fails too.

I would also recommend replacing the other spring for the same reason.

Yes I know it is still working BUT metal fatigue is real and the
springs are nearing their useful life.

Yeah, I'm with you - the new ones have been ordered.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jeff_wisnia wrote:
I've torched and bent new hook ends on those springs more than once and
they held up quite a while. Particularly on springs which had a sharp
bend where the hook joined the spring coils. Those bends looked like a
sure stress producer to me.

Oh, so you've done it too. That sharp bend pretty much guarantees a
break. I'm thinking that the attach-er I made wouldn't produce much a
stress riser at all.

If you buy new springs to replace those rusty ones you've got to match
the strength of the new springs to the weight of the door. Judging from
the amount of rust in your photos you probably won't be able to read the
color coding (if any) on those springs.

No, but I have a record of the door weight, somewhere. I think.

An easy way to measure the weight of the door if you don't have a scale
which will accept that much weight is to use a bathroom scale an a
lever made from a couple of feet of 2 by 4 with one end on a small
piece of wood on the center of the scale platform and the other end on a
brick or something the same height as the scale platform.

Position that rig so the center of the 2 by 4 is under the bottom edge
of the door when it's down. With both springs disconnected (get a helper
if needed) lower the door onto the center of the 2 by 4. The scale
reading will be half the door's weight. If the scale still tops out move
the rig so that the door hits the 2 by 4 one third of its length from
the "brick end" and multiply the scale reading by 3.

That would work, but my bathroom scale always reads _way_ high G.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Followup

When I was shopping for replacement springs I came across springs which
used the exact same attachment as I made. The attachments were called
clips. And they were only used on the springs for much heavier doors.
I take this to mean that they are stronger, better, than hooks. I'm
tempted to make clips for the new springs.

Thanks for all the replies,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 13, 6:30*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
KD7HB wrote:
Where are you located, Bob? I have two springs just like that with the
paint still on them. Left from a Home Depot screw up several years
ago. My doors are all the spring around the shaft type. Would love to
lighten the shop a bit.

Let me know. Relaxed length and diameter. Just pay for UPS ground.

Paul, thanks but I didn't see your post until after I had ordered new ones.

Bob

What! You mean I to trip over them for another 15 years?

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

KD7HB wrote:
Where are you located, Bob? I have two springs just like that with the
paint still on them. Left from a Home Depot screw up several years
ago. My doors are all the spring around the shaft type. Would love to
lighten the shop a bit.

Let me know. Relaxed length and diameter. Just pay for UPS ground.

Paul, thanks but I didn't see your post until after I had ordered new ones.

What! You mean I to trip over them for another 15 years?

Advertise them for sale (in Arabic) as missile launcher parts. They'll
be gone tomorrow.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
So you have two springs on order?

Yep. On the theory that the other spring is on its last legs & might as
well.

... Or run an extra wrap of wire around the end and insert it
into another cable clamp backwards, giving it that extra 90 degrees to
inhibit movement.

Oh, I don't think that this is what you meant, but I can just put
another loop through the one clamp.

Remember to leave a lot of slack in the cable. It
will be attempting to support the door otherwise.

The springs have always broken when the door is nearly closed (that's
when the greatest stress occurs), so that's not an issue.

Bob

Thanks for the payment, 'hope you enjoy the mags.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

KD7HB wrote:
Where are you located, Bob? I have two springs just like that with the
paint still on them. Left from a Home Depot screw up several years
ago. My doors are all the spring around the shaft type. Would love to
lighten the shop a bit.

Let me know. Relaxed length and diameter. Just pay for UPS ground.

Paul, thanks but I didn't see your post until after I had ordered new ones.

What! You mean I to trip over them for another 15 years?

Advertise them for sale (in Arabic) as missile launcher parts. They'll
be gone tomorrow.

Make sure to tell the potential customer that they are banned by the
TSA. ;-)

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message ...

When a garage door spring broke the other day, I fashioned a "fix" for
it by bending a piece of strap iron:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...DoorSpring.jpg

Does anybody have any experience with this approach and can tell me how
well it's going to work? So far so good, but I'm a little nervous about it.

Thanks,
Bob

Reply: should work OK. I would replace both springs. Never replace just
one. You do have a safety cable in the spring, so that is very good. About
40 years ago, I had a spring break, and a 4" long section bent in the front
of the dryer about 22' away. Luckily no car in the garage and I was closing
the door from outside. If a spring broke, then is likely going to break
again, and having 2 different rate springs twists the door. Is why I say to
change both at the same time. they are not that expensive at Lowes or Home
Depot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:10:56 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Ken wrote:
Looks like it will work Bob, but you could have taken an Acet/Oxy
torch, heated up a spot and bent it 90 degrees to the coils to form a
new "end" on the spring. I've done that and had no problems.

Boy, that would make me _really_ nervous. I'd worry about changing the
metallurgy & weakening it. But you've "had no problems", so maybe I;ll
try it next time. Do you do anything special about cooling it?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,
I just simply warm up one spot on a coil to a dull red (enough to let
me bend it to right angles) and let it cool slowly. Don't quench it
or heat it very hot. You'll only be changing the length of the spring
by about one or two coils. Also a very good idea to run a saftey
cable through the spring and secure both ends to make a cradle for a
broken spring. (It could break in the middle also).
HTH
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 08:52:27 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
So you have two springs on order?

Yep. On the theory that the other spring is on its last legs & might as
well.

Thot so.

... Or run an extra wrap of wire around the end and insert it
into another cable clamp backwards, giving it that extra 90 degrees to
inhibit movement.

Oh, I don't think that this is what you meant, but I can just put
another loop through the one clamp.

No, and NO! First, there isn't room in most clamps. Second, it would
defeat itself since there are only two jaws for two cables.

Remember to leave a lot of slack in the cable. It
will be attempting to support the door otherwise.

The springs have always broken when the door is nearly closed (that's
when the greatest stress occurs), so that's not an issue.

I've never had one break, but have replaced a few. Only one scratched
a car, a minor ding and scratch.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

KD7HB wrote:
Where are you located, Bob? I have two springs just like that with the
paint still on them. Left from a Home Depot screw up several years
ago. My doors are all the spring around the shaft type. Would love to
lighten the shop a bit.

Let me know. Relaxed length and diameter. Just pay for UPS ground.

Paul, thanks but I didn't see your post until after I had ordered new ones.

What! You mean I to trip over them for another 15 years?

Advertise them for sale (in Arabic) as missile launcher parts. They'll
be gone tomorrow.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Plutarch

Spring-powered trebuchet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuDm0l_q1DE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 07:17:41 -0800 (PST), "Denis G."
wrote:

KD7HB wrote:
Where are you located, Bob? I have two springs just like that with the
paint still on them. Left from a Home Depot screw up several years
ago. My doors are all the spring around the shaft type. Would love to
lighten the shop a bit.

Let me know. Relaxed length and diameter. Just pay for UPS ground.

Paul, thanks but I didn't see your post until after I had ordered new ones.

What! You mean I to trip over them for another 15 years?

Advertise them for sale (in Arabic) as missile launcher parts. They'll
be gone tomorrow.

Spring-powered trebuchet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuDm0l_q1DE

Youtube says the video is not available.

--
Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises.
-- Demosthenes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

KD7HB wrote:
Where are you located, Bob? I have two springs just like that with the
paint still on them. Left from a Home Depot screw up several years
ago. My doors are all the spring around the shaft type. Would love to
lighten the shop a bit.

Let me know. Relaxed length and diameter. Just pay for UPS ground.

Paul, thanks but I didn't see your post until after I had ordered new
ones.

What! You mean I to trip over them for another 15 years?

Advertise them for sale (in Arabic) as missile launcher parts. They'll
be gone tomorrow.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch

Reply:
Take them back to HD and get a store credit.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
When a garage door spring broke the other day, I fashioned a "fix" for
it by bending a piece of strap iron:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...DoorSpring.jpg

Does anybody have any experience with this approach and can tell me how
well it's going to work? So far so good, but I'm a little nervous about it.

Thanks,
Bob
I have had two springs go with the end failing this way. It appears that with the ends bent to form a hook or loop, the force of the spring is trying to to uncoil it and this is unnatural and breaks the hook but the actual spring is still in good shape.

You can purchase springs with steel straps at an increased cost or you can purchase a pair a straps for 7 dollars at a garage door place. I am using steel wire rope and associated clamps which I clamp onto the spring coil and feed the wire rope through it. I have done this to the failed part and will do it to the good parts also (garage door up). The failed part is holding well and the forces on the spring are as intended as coil stretching only and not the unwinding stress as experienced with the bent up hook or loop. Your straps should work similar. My springs failed in the cold winter with the springs extended (garage door closed). This probably won't fail for many years so I won't be able to provide any feedback.