Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default garage door spring

Where do you buy odd ball garage door springs? I have a 9' by 8' door
that just broke. Its a torsion type spring.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Where do you buy odd ball garage door springs? I have a 9' by 8' door
that just broke. Its a torsion type spring.

I would contact the company that made the garage door to see if they
can supply the right spring. I had a friend in that business years ago
who told horror stories about people using the wrong spring, and the
damage it caused. You also have to be careful when you adjust them, as
well.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 07:52:32 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Where do you buy odd ball garage door springs? I have a 9' by 8' door
that just broke. Its a torsion type spring.

Karl

There are a couple of companies in Minneapolis that specialize in
garage door springs and parts. You'll need to know either the make
and model of the door, or the weight.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 3, 5:52*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
Where do you buy odd ball garage door springs? I have a 9' by 8' door
that just broke. Its a torsion type spring.

Karl

Had that problem a year ago. Fortunately, we had a professional do the
job. One trip to determine what spring was needed, and another trip to
install it. Only one guy was here to install it. I was here for the
install and it turned out to be a two person job.

I had planned to do it all myself and while watching the professional,
learned my scheme would not have worked. Also, the previous owner had
built around the door opener and I had to cut out a bunch of wood the
get the shaft out.

My sincere advice would be to get a professional to do the job. Our
replacement cost just a little over $100. Money well spent. Also very
educational!

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Karl,

http://www.garagedoorpartsllc.com/

Note the helpful stuff and "how-to" down the left column.

wrote:

Where do you buy odd ball garage door springs? I have a 9' by 8' door
that just broke. Its a torsion type spring.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/3/2010 4:52 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Where do you buy odd ball garage door springs? I have a 9' by 8' door
that just broke. Its a torsion type spring.

Might be able to get one made up. I have a one piece steel garage door
that swings up, with a coil spring on each side to assist. When one
broke and I couldn't find anything close in town, I had to head down to
Sacramento where I visited a large garage door company. They
guesstimated spring rate from the sample, and custom made a set out of
some longer springs. IIRC, it was about $60 for the pair, which wasn't
too shabby. They estimated the door dates from the late 50's to early
60's, as the way the spring ends were shaped haven't been produced in a
long time.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Where do you buy odd ball garage door springs? I have a 9' by 8' door
that just broke. Its a torsion type spring.

Karl

Thanks. We got the measurments. julie will make a couple calls
tommorrow A.M. If that don't go quickly we'll order from here.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend writes:

Where do you buy odd ball garage door springs?

DDM.

http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch writes:

odd ball garage door springs

http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm

I should add, there is no such thing as an "odd ball" torsion spring. They
are all custom fitted to the door weight as explained on my Web page.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Brian Lawson wrote:

http://www.garagedoorpartsllc.com/

Thanks. We got the measurments. julie will make a couple calls
tommorrow A.M. If that don't go quickly we'll order from here.

No, no, no !! Those guys are out-and-out crooks!! I ordered some
rollers from them & was a little puzzled/surprised when they didn't take
a credit card. Checks only. When they cashed the check & didn't send
the rollers, and didn't answer the phone or email, I started looking
around the web. I found a consumer review site with lots of the same
complaint - non delivery. You probably know how little help my bank was
- unlike credit cards, checks don't have a chargeback mechanism. I was
out $25 & I considered it a cheap-enough lesson.

Bob

BTW, there was another online vendor with a similar history, so I went
through Amazon. A little more expensive, but not that much.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 15:49:42 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Richard J Kinch writes:

odd ball garage door springs

http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm

I should add, there is no such thing as an "odd ball" torsion spring. They
are all custom fitted to the door weight as explained on my Web page.

Hey Richard,

that's a purty nice write up, thanks

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 17:33:01 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
Brian Lawson wrote:

http://www.garagedoorpartsllc.com/

Thanks. We got the measurments. julie will make a couple calls
tommorrow A.M. If that don't go quickly we'll order from here.

No, no, no !! Those guys are out-and-out crooks!! I ordered some
rollers from them & was a little puzzled/surprised when they didn't take
a credit card. Checks only. When they cashed the check & didn't send
the rollers, and didn't answer the phone or email, I started looking
around the web. I found a consumer review site with lots of the same
complaint - non delivery. You probably know how little help my bank was
- unlike credit cards, checks don't have a chargeback mechanism. I was
out $25 & I considered it a cheap-enough lesson.

Bob

BTW, there was another online vendor with a similar history, so I went
through Amazon. A little more expensive, but not that much.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll go through the vendor Richard suggests.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Where do you buy odd ball garage door springs? I have a 9' by 8' door
that just broke. Its a torsion type spring.

Karl

I don't have an idea on sources but when you wind the things, make sure your two tools fit
the winding openings perfectly, don't improvise, a spring turned loose can hurt or kill.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 18:10:41 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

Where do you buy odd ball garage door springs? I have a 9' by 8' door
that just broke. Its a torsion type spring.

Karl

I don't have an idea on sources but when you wind the things, make sure your two tools fit
the winding openings perfectly, don't improvise, a spring turned loose can hurt or kill.

Wes

Lucky I know someone that can run a lathe!

Garage Door Spring Rips Garage Apart [email protected] Home Repair 31 July 9th 07 05:49 AM
Garage door spring question Robert Barr Home Repair 21 May 25th 07 03:18 PM
Broken garage door spring Paul Franklin Home Repair 8 July 27th 06 02:51 PM
Garage Door Spring Patch Home Repair 11 June 15th 05 11:35 AM
how the fit garage door using GARADOOR spring box? UK diy 2 September 10th 03 10:49 PM