Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Spring Rips Garage Apart

One of the cables broke on my garage door. It appears that when it
broke the spring pressure did the damage. The door track is (was)
hung from a vertical 2x4 coming down from the ceiling. (I have an 8
foot high door in a garage with a 9 foot ceiling). The spring was
attached to a large eye hook in that 2x4. The spring actually
shattered that 2x4 causing the track to become disconnected and free
hanging. The spring was found in the rear of the garage where it
knocked a bunch of cans of oil and other automotive chemicals all over
the floor and a chunk of wood was ripped off one shelf. This left a
major mess with oil on the floor.

Luckily I entered the garage via the walk in door. I was shocked when
I went in there. I first noticed the oil mess and started cussing at
my cats, thinking they had gotten in there. But there were no cats.
When I turned around I noticed the door track hanging free and soon
discovered the spring on the floor.

I heard these springs are dangerous, but I never knew they could do
this much damage. I know I can fix this, and this time I intend to
use a hardwood 2x4 or maybe a 4x4 if I can find one. However, I dont
like the idea of walking into a garage with these springs ready to
fly, which could cause severe injury.

Is there any way to secure the spring so if something breaks, at least
it will stay up in the air where it belongs?
This is an older 8 foot high, 9 foot wide wooden door. It's not that
heavy, but still needs the springs to lift it. Where I used to live
we had a 10 foot wide fiberglass door and I could lift it without
springs, although it was a bit of a struggle. Those springs were not
as large (and likely not as powerful).

I'm off to buy a new cable, but I wont feel safe going into the garage
until I can find a way to make those springs safer. Placing them
inside a steel tube (pipe) seems like one way, but how?

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 11:39:12 -0700, Oren wrote:

I know I can fix this, and this time I intend to
use a hardwood 2x4 or maybe a 4x4 if I can find one.

Mine are 2 X 6 instead of 2 X 4.
--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 11:39:12 -0700, Oren wrote:

Oren

HUH????????
And your reply is ???????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 13:43:15 -0500, wrote:

HUH????????
And your reply is ???????

It was a malfunction between the chair and keyboard :-/

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I had this happen twice at my old house. The eyes of the springs develop
fatigue cracks over time, and when the crack propagates deep enough....BAM!!
The best solution is to get new garage doors with torsion springs on them.

If you don't want to do that, then replace all the springs so they are the
same age and have the same number of cycles on them. Replace every 5 years
or so before the have a chance to break.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 2:30 pm, wrote:
[...]

After an about a week's absence, a coworker came into work with a face
that looked like it had been beaten with a bat. In fact, it had been
beaten with a garage door spring that let go as he was walking through
the garage. Luckily, his son heard a strange sound from the garage and
went out to find his dad on the floor - broken, bleeding and barely
concious.

His face was one ugly mess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 2:58 pm, "J.A. Michel" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

or so before the have a chance to break.- Hide quoted text -

- The best solution is to get new garage doors with torsion springs on
them.

While a torsion spring may not let go with the force of an extension
spring, they do present a different kind of danger.

Many years ago, before I knew jack about stuff around a house, my wife
called and told me the garage door was stuck about half way down. When
she tried to use the opener, it just went clunk. When I got home, I
looked at the cables and noticed they weren't on the pulleys any more.
I had no idea what was going on, so I grabbed the release cord for the
opener and pulled it.

Little did I know that the torsion spring was broken and all that was
holding the door up was opener. I also didn't know that my 2 year
daughter was at that exact moment running into the garage. As soon as
I pulled the cord, the door dropped with it's full weight and
miracously stopped just inches before it hit my daughter. The cables
had tangled themselves around the brackets and caught the door. Or
should I say that God wrapped the cables around the brackets and
stopped the door. I'm not a mushy guy, but I still get all weird
inside knowing how close I came to probably killing my daughter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 15:31:41 -0400, Paul Franklin
wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 13:30:43 -0500, wrote:
snip?

Is there any way to secure the spring so if something breaks, at least
it will stay up in the air where it belongs?
This is an older 8 foot high, 9 foot wide wooden door. It's not that
heavy, but still needs the springs to lift it. Where I used to live
we had a 10 foot wide fiberglass door and I could lift it without
springs, although it was a bit of a struggle. Those springs were not
as large (and likely not as powerful).

I'm off to buy a new cable, but I wont feel safe going into the garage
until I can find a way to make those springs safer. Placing them
inside a steel tube (pipe) seems like one way, but how?

Anyone got any tips?

Extension springs should always have a second, separate piece of wire
rope running through the middle of the spring and secured solidly at
each end with a separate screw eye (not the one holding the spring.
This is called a spring keeper, and it keeps the spring from flying
loose if it breaks or comes free from the cable or attachment point.
Pick the attachment points so the spring can slide along the keeper as
it extends and contracts.

HTH,

Paul

OK, so what you are saying is the cable goes thru the inside of the
springs coil and attaches somewhere to the garage frame, right?
This makes sense. If there is a picture on a website that would help
so I know if this cable goes straight or what.....

Buying a new door is not in the budget, and I sort of like my old
wooden one. These fiberglass doors are ugly. I will replace the
springs and cables, but that still dont account for metal failure
since anything can break at any time. I do like the idea of these
extra cables.

Thanks

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 writes:

Little did I know that the torsion spring was broken and all that was
holding the door up was opener. I also didn't know that my 2 year
daughter was at that exact moment running into the garage. As soon as
I pulled the cord, the door dropped with it's full weight and
miracously stopped just inches before it hit my daughter.

There was a tragic case just like this a few years back. The door fell and
pinned the child. The door was too heavy for the dad to lift off the
child. The child suffocated while dad watched.

The spring manufacturer was held liable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Andy- Hide quoted text -

-- If there is a picture on a website that would help so I know if
this cable goes straight or what.....

See page 4:

http://www.clopaydoor.com/publicfile...lyInstruct.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .
DerbyDad03 writes:

Little did I know that the torsion spring was broken and all that was
holding the door up was opener. I also didn't know that my 2 year
daughter was at that exact moment running into the garage. As soon as
I pulled the cord, the door dropped with it's full weight and
miracously stopped just inches before it hit my daughter.

There was a tragic case just like this a few years back. The door fell
and
pinned the child. The door was too heavy for the dad to lift off the
child. The child suffocated while dad watched.

The spring manufacturer was held liable.

Interesting question: What kind of twit has kids wandering around while he's
working on a garage door?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I've had both springs on my main door break and each time it punched
thru the sheetrock.

I heated the end with a blow torch and put a new 'end' on it and have
had no trouble since I did the work. That tells me that when they
originally made the springs, they must have weakened the metal more
than I weakened the metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:07:41 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

There is no photo. This newsgroup does not allow pictures in messages.

You catch on fast!

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Extension springs should always have a second, separate piece of wire
rope running through the middle of the spring and secured solidly at
each end with a separate screw eye (not the one holding the spring.
This is called a spring keeper, and it keeps the spring from flying
loose if it breaks or comes free from the cable or attachment point.
Pick the attachment points so the spring can slide along the keeper as
it extends and contracts.

I had a spring break 2 weeks ago. The spring keeper prevented any damage.
Replacing both springs took me less than an hour.
Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography

Web Site: www.destarr.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Proper installation of extension-style door springs calls for retainer
cables which are threaded the length of the spring. The cable is secured
to the front and rear of the rail supports (not to the spring itself)
and are usually about 3/32" - 1/8" diameter aircraft-style cable. The
idea is to keep the spring from becoming a ballistic missile should the
spring separate. I've found that every replacement spring I've bought
over the past ten years has come with the retainer cable and included
instructions on how to install them. Most likely you would be better off
replacing all of the springs at one go and installing the retainers but
you could probably buy the cable separately along with the proper clamps
to secure them and install on all the springs.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

I ran garage door cable through each of the springs, and attached the ends
to eye hooks in the studs as well as the frames. This will keep the spring
contained ... at least will limit the travel it may take.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had this happen twice at my old house. The eyes of the springs develop
fatigue cracks over time, and when the crack propagates deep
enough....BAM!!
The best solution is to get new garage doors with torsion springs on
them.

If you don't want to do that, then replace all the springs so they are
the
same age and have the same number of cycles on them. Replace every 5
years
or so before the have a chance to break.- Hide quoted text -

- The best solution is to get new garage doors with torsion springs on
them.

While a torsion spring may not let go with the force of an extension
spring, they do present a different kind of danger.

Huh? How does a torsion spring present a 'different danger' than a
extension spring?
The incident you describe could have just as easily happened with an
extension spring door
with an opener on it. You should not have pulled the emergency release with
children present!
Glad your daughter is OK!

Posted to alt.home.repair

ValveJob wrote:

snipped

I've had both springs on my main door break and each time it punched
thru the sheetrock.

I heated the end with a blow torch and put a new 'end' on it and have
had no trouble since I did the work. That tells me that when they
originally made the springs, they must have weakened the metal more
than I weakened the metal.

I've done the same thing several times and my "new end loops" never fail.

Looking at new extension springs it appears that the end loops come off
the spring with a rather sharp small radius bend.

All the breaks I've experienced occured right at that bend which looks
neat, but is an obvious stress increaser.

I make my bends with a generous radius. They don't look as great, but
they don't break.

Just my .02,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Working on a garage door is incredibly dangerous. Even pros often get hurt.
Consider hiring a pro for this job. Wayne Dalton stores fix all brands in
my area and are very reasonable.

Watch out for ads in the phone book that advertise $ 29.95 service charge in
a full page ad. A well dress guy will show up and tell you you need $1000
worth of parts.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 14:50:11 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

DerbyDad03 writes:

Little did I know that the torsion spring was broken and all that was
holding the door up was opener. I also didn't know that my 2 year
daughter was at that exact moment running into the garage. As soon as
I pulled the cord, the door dropped with it's full weight and
miracously stopped just inches before it hit my daughter.

There was a tragic case just like this a few years back. The door fell and
pinned the child. The door was too heavy for the dad to lift off the
child. The child suffocated while dad watched.

The spring manufacturer was held liable.

Although I am the OP on this message, this has nothing to do with the
door breaking, but has to do with getting trapped under the door.
This happened a month ago or so (same door, but before the cable
broke). We have a small farm. To make a few extra dollars we breed
show rabbits, which are these fancy kinds, such as the Rex. We had
just bought this really pretty doe. I was still building the rabbit
pen, so I was keeping the rabbits in the garage. The rabbit pen which
I was building is a distance from the garage. About a week before I
had taken a piece of 2x4 to the garage to rip it on my table saw. As
usual, I got side tracked and forgot to rip the board. Everytime I
went to the rabbit pen I would remember that board, but did not want
to make a special trip to the garage for it. Everytime I was near the
garage I would remind myself to rip the board and take it to the pen,
but every time I would forget. I bet that happened at least a dozen
times. Yes, I am forgetful, and admit it....

Anyhow one night I went to the garage (in the dark) and opened the
door to grab a bale of hay I had taken there for the rabbits feed and
bedding. I decided that the particular bale was not the hay the
rabbits prefer, so I took it outside and fed it to the ponies. I shut
the garage door and headed to the barn to get another bale. Halfway
to the barn I remembered the 2x4 and decided that enough was enough.
Either I rip that board and take it to the pen, or I will never
remember to do it. (Actually, I think there was a voice telling me to
something out of the ordinary in front of the garage door. However, I
could not make out what it was until I bent over to get a closer look.
Then came the panic. This new doe we had just bought, had once again
escaped from her cage, and she was slammed against the concrete under
the garage door. When I touched her she appeared dead, and was not
breathing. In order to unlatch the door, I had to push down on the
door, but time was wasting and since she appeared dead anyhow, I
pushed down and unlatched it quickly. As the door went up, she
suddenly jumped and ran right over to her cage and stood there. I was
amazed, and held her for quite awhile. She was breathing real hard
and hear heart was pounding. I put her back in her cage and she went
about her business as if nothing happened. She is fine today and did
not appear to suffer any injuries. How a 8X9 foot wooden door could
come down hard on top of this 3 pound rabbit and she still survived is
beyond me.

If it were not for that 2x4, she would have died in another minute or
so, because I know she was not breathing. I do think the rubber
weatherstrip on the door saved her, plus my decision to go back to the
garage. She is now in an escape proof cage, and the scrap piece from
that 2x4 is next to her cage, because if it was not for that piece of
wood, she would be a goner.

Just one of those weird things that happen.......
At least it has a happy ending.
She was not the most friendly rabbit when I got her, but after that
incident, she is now one of the friendliest rabbits we have,
particularly to myself.
I guess she knows I saved her butt....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

That's just what I was looking for. Thanks !!!!
Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Extension springs should always have a second, separate piece of wire
rope running through the middle of the spring and secured solidly at
each end with a separate screw eye (not the one holding the spring.
This is called a spring keeper, and it keeps the spring from flying
loose if it breaks or comes free from the cable or attachment point.
Pick the attachment points so the spring can slide along the keeper as
it extends and contracts.

I had a spring break 2 weeks ago. The spring keeper prevented any damage.
Replacing both springs took me less than an hour.
Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography

Web Site:www.destarr.com

I had one break as I closed the door from the inisde. It splintered a
2X6 . Then and there I came up with idea of running the extra cable
thru the spring. I posted this same info on this site several years
ago to warn people of the danger of that kind of door opener.
Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 12:42 am, "J.A. Michel" wrote:
[...]

Glad your daughter is OK!- Hide quoted text -

- Huh? How does a torsion spring present a 'different danger' than a
extension spring?

One of the responses was to replace the door with one that uses
torsion springs, implying

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 12:18 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

torsion springs, implying- Hide quoted text -

Sorry about my last post...sloppy mouse click.

Anyway, as I was saying,..

One of the responses was to replace the door with one that uses
torsion springs, implying (at least to me) that a torsion spring made
garage doors safer. I was simply pointing out that a broken torsion
spring can also be a dangerous thing, but not from flying debris, but
from the unsupported door - that's a 'different danger'. Sorry for
causing a misunderstanding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well for one thing, they're a superior system. and for another thing, when
they break, they don't tear **** up.

--
Steve Barker

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
- Huh? How does a torsion spring present a 'different danger' than a
extension spring?

One of the responses was to replace the door with one that uses
torsion springs, implying

Posted to alt.home.repair

torsion springs have a rod going through them making them a bit safer than
an un-cabled extension spring correct?

Yes, they are wound over a shaft. They can break too, but will not launch
themselves across the garage. I have had doors with both types of springs,
and torsion are superior.

Posted to alt.home.repair

torsion springs have a rod going through them making them a bit safer
than an un-cabled extension spring correct?

Perhaps safer in terms of becoming a projectile, but when a single torsion
spring configuration fails the door is fully heavy, versus a double spring
configuration (extension or torsion) where one of the spring pair remains
intact so that the door is still a hazard but half as heavy.

http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

Depending on the door a double may still be d*** hard to lift with only
one intact.

Sure, but only half as d*** hard.

Garage door spring question Robert Barr Home Repair 21 May 25th 07 03:18 PM
Broken garage door spring RW Home Repair 10 November 16th 06 11:09 PM
Broken garage door spring Paul Franklin Home Repair 8 July 27th 06 02:51 PM
Garage Door Spring Patch Home Repair 11 June 15th 05 11:35 AM
how the fit garage door using GARADOOR spring box? UK diy 2 September 10th 03 10:49 PM