Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Califbill Califbill is offline

Default Capturing the end of a garage door spring when hook breaks off

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message ...

When a garage door spring broke the other day, I fashioned a "fix" for
it by bending a piece of strap iron:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...DoorSpring.jpg

Does anybody have any experience with this approach and can tell me how
well it's going to work? So far so good, but I'm a little nervous about it.

Thanks,
Bob

Reply: should work OK. I would replace both springs. Never replace just
one. You do have a safety cable in the spring, so that is very good. About
40 years ago, I had a spring break, and a 4" long section bent in the front
of the dryer about 22' away. Luckily no car in the garage and I was closing
the door from outside. If a spring broke, then is likely going to break
again, and having 2 different rate springs twists the door. Is why I say to
change both at the same time. they are not that expensive at Lowes or Home
Depot.