Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken[_18_] Ken[_18_] is offline

Default Capturing the end of a garage door spring when hook breaks off

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:10:56 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Ken wrote:
Looks like it will work Bob, but you could have taken an Acet/Oxy
torch, heated up a spot and bent it 90 degrees to the coils to form a
new "end" on the spring. I've done that and had no problems.

Boy, that would make me _really_ nervous. I'd worry about changing the
metallurgy & weakening it. But you've "had no problems", so maybe I;ll
try it next time. Do you do anything special about cooling it?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,
I just simply warm up one spot on a coil to a dull red (enough to let
me bend it to right angles) and let it cool slowly. Don't quench it
or heat it very hot. You'll only be changing the length of the spring
by about one or two coils. Also a very good idea to run a saftey
cable through the spring and secure both ends to make a cradle for a
broken spring. (It could break in the middle also).
HTH
Ken.