Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Capturing the end of a garage door spring when hook breaks off

On Dec 11, 7:46*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
When a garage door spring broke the other day, I fashioned a "fix" for
it by bending a piece of strap iron:http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...DoorSpring.jpg

Does anybody have any experience with this approach and can tell me how
well it's going to work? *So far so good, but I'm a little nervous about it.

Thanks,
Bob

It will work for now.

It is time to go get a replacement though...the other end will be
suffering metal fatigue also..and it is just a matter of time before
it fails too.

I would also recommend replacing the other spring for the same reason.

Yes I know it is still working BUT metal fatigue is real and the
springs are nearing their useful life.

I used to only replace one spring too...until the other spring
repeatily failed . ;)

TMT