Old November 23rd 10, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aerating coolant, do I need a "stone" or not

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 08:43:49 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 07:39:15 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 21:23:22 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Ignoramus18625" wrote in message
news:[email protected] com...
I finally visited Wal-Mart and bought two timers. I want to run the
skimmer off of one timer, and aerator (fishtank style air pump) on
another timer.

My question is, do I need a stone on the aerator, or not. I am
concerned that the stone will eventually become plugged by coolant
residue. If bubbling water without a stone is a little less efficient,
I do not think that I care too much.

Any thoughts on this?

Do the math, ig. Finer bubbles make for more surface area to transfer
gases. I use a stone when aerating my wort (beer cooked in the first phase)
with oxygen. It helps the yeast to work better. What are you aerating
coolant for?

My thinking was just the opposite. Its in the back corner of the sump
with its main job to push oil to the skimmer. No way to see if the
stone plugs, and it will. If your stone plugs and you don't catch it,
you're in for a totally awful job of cleaning a putrid sump.

Always more than one way to skin a cat.

Karl

Actually...the air bubbles are to kill anerobic bacteria...bugs that
grow without Oxygen and when they die..the sludge that is left behind
breaks down easily enough.

But maybe Im wrong?

Gunner

yea, but the question is how much O2 do you need? My guess is a clean
surface (no tramp oil) and the coarse bubbles are enough. No question
a stone would put more O2 per unit run time while it works. I
haven't done an academic study on it. There should be government funds
from Obama for a federal program on this VBG

Karl

Old November 23rd 10, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Oh hell yes!

Kin I be listed as a co-author?

This should net us a $100k each at the least!!!!

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
Old November 23rd 10, 09:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-23, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus18625" wrote in message
I finally visited Wal-Mart and bought two timers. I want to run the
skimmer off of one timer, and aerator (fishtank style air pump) on
another timer.

My question is, do I need a stone on the aerator, or not. I am
concerned that the stone will eventually become plugged by coolant
residue. If bubbling water without a stone is a little less efficient,
I do not think that I care too much.

Any thoughts on this?

Do the math, ig. Finer bubbles make for more surface area to transfer
gases. I use a stone when aerating my wort (beer cooked in the first
phase)
with oxygen. It helps the yeast to work better. What are you aerating
coolant for?

If coolant is left without air, then anaerobic bacteria turn it into
a nasty mess. It stinks, causes allergies and other diseases. The oil
forms clumps and clogs coolant lines, etc.

Anyway, as of last night, I have two timers controlling the aerator
and the skimmer. Each can be controlled in 30 minute intervals. I am
not yet sure what is the best approach as to when to schedule what, I
scheduled various things and I will re-evaluate it later.

As of now, I have 99.8% of oil removed, the coolant is nice and milky
etc.

I think that 30 minutes per day or aeration and skimming ought to be
enough to my level of use. The coolant that I have, is very good stuff
and should last a long time if I add water from time to time.

Are you guys talking about TIG coolant? I am not familiar with a "sump".

Steve

Old November 23rd 10, 11:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus21476" wrote in
message ...
On 2010-11-23, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus18625" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Milling machine .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old November 24th 10, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
"Ignoramus21476" wrote in
message ...
On 2010-11-23, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus18625" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Gotcha. Not in my pay grade. Now it makes sense. Thanks.

Steve

Old November 24th 10, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 23 Nov 2010 13:04:05 -0800

wrote:

"Ignoramus18625" wrote in message
news:[email protected] s.com...
[...]

Do not forget to look into the implications for Global Warming,
Green Technologies, and combating carbon dioxide.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Old November 24th 10, 12:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-23, Steve B wrote:

Are you guys talking about TIG coolant? I am not familiar with a "sump".

Steve

No, cutting fluid for the milling machine. It is a "milk" made of
water and concentrate that prevents rust, cools cutting bits,
lubricates the point of cutting. The "sump" is a tub in the bottom
of the mill where the fluid collects. It also is a point where tramp
way oil collects, which causes problems with lack of oxygen and
anaerobic bacteria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_fluid
Old November 24th 10, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Ignoramus18625" wrote in message
news:[email protected] ws.com...
[...]

Your in! Wanna be the Front Man?

Old November 24th 10, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-23, Steve B wrote:

Are you guys talking about TIG coolant? I am not familiar with a "sump".

Steve

No, cutting fluid for the milling machine. It is a "milk" made of
water and concentrate that prevents rust, cools cutting bits,
lubricates the point of cutting. The "sump" is a tub in the bottom
of the mill where the fluid collects. It also is a point where tramp
way oil collects, which causes problems with lack of oxygen and
anaerobic bacteria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_fluid

I wasn't getting it, but understand now. I'd add a little green food
coloring, and market it as Mean Green, the Planet Friendly Coolant. You can
use the name, just remember me every Christmas with a card and some "real"
green.

Steve

Old November 24th 10, 07:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 23 Nov 2010 17:02:30 -0800

wrote:

"Ignoramus18625" wrote in message
news:[email protected] ews.com...
[...]

"You're looking at the Chief of Protocol for the Human Delegation"
"Honest?"
"Not really, but it pays the bills."

I'll have my people talk to some people I know - he's got a 15 in
Beurocratese, the grant's a shoe in if he's willing to come in.

Gotta run, time to see if the temporal vortex works when it is
freezing out.

pyotr