Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Aerating coolant, do I need a "stone" or not

On 2010-11-23, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus18625" wrote in message
I finally visited Wal-Mart and bought two timers. I want to run the
skimmer off of one timer, and aerator (fishtank style air pump) on
another timer.

My question is, do I need a stone on the aerator, or not. I am
concerned that the stone will eventually become plugged by coolant
residue. If bubbling water without a stone is a little less efficient,
I do not think that I care too much.

Any thoughts on this?

Do the math, ig. Finer bubbles make for more surface area to transfer
gases. I use a stone when aerating my wort (beer cooked in the first
phase)
with oxygen. It helps the yeast to work better. What are you aerating
coolant for?

If coolant is left without air, then anaerobic bacteria turn it into
a nasty mess. It stinks, causes allergies and other diseases. The oil
forms clumps and clogs coolant lines, etc.

Anyway, as of last night, I have two timers controlling the aerator
and the skimmer. Each can be controlled in 30 minute intervals. I am
not yet sure what is the best approach as to when to schedule what, I
scheduled various things and I will re-evaluate it later.

As of now, I have 99.8% of oil removed, the coolant is nice and milky
etc.

I think that 30 minutes per day or aeration and skimming ought to be
enough to my level of use. The coolant that I have, is very good stuff
and should last a long time if I add water from time to time.

Are you guys talking about TIG coolant? I am not familiar with a "sump".

Steve