Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Aerating coolant, do I need a "stone" or not

Steve B wrote:
"Ignoramus18625" wrote in
message ...
I finally visited Wal-Mart and bought two timers. I want to run the
skimmer off of one timer, and aerator (fishtank style air pump) on
another timer.

My question is, do I need a stone on the aerator, or not. I am
concerned that the stone will eventually become plugged by coolant
residue. If bubbling water without a stone is a little less
efficient, I do not think that I care too much.

Any thoughts on this?

Do the math, ig. Finer bubbles make for more surface area to transfer
gases. I use a stone when aerating my wort (beer cooked in the first
phase) with oxygen. It helps the yeast to work better. What are you
aerating coolant for?

Steve

I thought you were supposed to use an airlock , that the fermentation was
anaerobic . Shows what I know !
Well , in winemaking I always used airlocks . I only made beer once ,
didn't particularly like "chewy" beer , so never made any more .
--
Snag
Learning keeps