Old November 22nd 10, 05:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aerating coolant, do I need a "stone" or not

I finally visited Wal-Mart and bought two timers. I want to run the
skimmer off of one timer, and aerator (fishtank style air pump) on
another timer.

My question is, do I need a stone on the aerator, or not. I am
concerned that the stone will eventually become plugged by coolant
residue. If bubbling water without a stone is a little less efficient,
I do not think that I care too much.

Any thoughts on this?

Old November 22nd 10, 10:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 23:14:38 -0600, Ignoramus18625
wrote:

I finally visited Wal-Mart and bought two timers. I want to run the
skimmer off of one timer, and aerator (fishtank style air pump) on
another timer.

My question is, do I need a stone on the aerator, or not. I am
concerned that the stone will eventually become plugged by coolant
residue. If bubbling water without a stone is a little less efficient,
I do not think that I care too much.

Any thoughts on this?

I just wrapped a bit of wire around the end of the hose to make it
sink and tossed it in the back corner of the sump, no stone.

its been a few, well several, years. Still works.

karl

Old November 22nd 10, 11:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I finally visited Wal-Mart and bought two timers. I want to run the
skimmer off of one timer, and aerator (fishtank style air pump) on
another timer.

My question is, do I need a stone on the aerator, or not. I am
concerned that the stone will eventually become plugged by coolant
residue. If bubbling water without a stone is a little less efficient,
I do not think that I care too much.

Any thoughts on this?

Ayup..you really need the stone to make the bubbles as fine as possible.

And they are dirt cheap so you can replace one every couple years out of
pocket change

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
Old November 22nd 10, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I finally visited Wal-Mart and bought two timers. I want to run the
skimmer off of one timer, and aerator (fishtank style air pump) on
another timer.

My question is, do I need a stone on the aerator, or not. I am
concerned that the stone will eventually become plugged by coolant
residue. If bubbling water without a stone is a little less efficient,
I do not think that I care too much.

Any thoughts on this?

Ayup..you really need the stone to make the bubbles as fine as possible.

And they are dirt cheap so you can replace one every couple years out of
pocket change

OK... hopefully tonight I will finish this... will also add a farm and
fleet water heater to prevent freezing... thanks

Old November 23rd 10, 05:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus18625" wrote in message
I finally visited Wal-Mart and bought two timers. I want to run the
skimmer off of one timer, and aerator (fishtank style air pump) on
another timer.

My question is, do I need a stone on the aerator, or not. I am
concerned that the stone will eventually become plugged by coolant
residue. If bubbling water without a stone is a little less efficient,
I do not think that I care too much.

Any thoughts on this?

Do the math, ig. Finer bubbles make for more surface area to transfer
gases. I use a stone when aerating my wort (beer cooked in the first phase)
with oxygen. It helps the yeast to work better. What are you aerating
coolant for?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Old November 23rd 10, 12:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
"Ignoramus18625" wrote in
message ...
I finally visited Wal-Mart and bought two timers. I want to run the
skimmer off of one timer, and aerator (fishtank style air pump) on
another timer.

My question is, do I need a stone on the aerator, or not. I am
concerned that the stone will eventually become plugged by coolant
residue. If bubbling water without a stone is a little less
efficient, I do not think that I care too much.

Any thoughts on this?

Do the math, ig. Finer bubbles make for more surface area to transfer
gases. I use a stone when aerating my wort (beer cooked in the first
phase) with oxygen. It helps the yeast to work better. What are you
aerating coolant for?

Steve

I thought you were supposed to use an airlock , that the fermentation was
anaerobic . Shows what I know !
Well , in winemaking I always used airlocks . I only made beer once ,
didn't particularly like "chewy" beer , so never made any more .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old November 23rd 10, 12:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus18625 wrote:
I finally visited Wal-Mart and bought two timers. I want to run the
skimmer off of one timer, and aerator (fishtank style air pump) on
another timer.

My question is, do I need a stone on the aerator, or not. I am
concerned that the stone will eventually become plugged by coolant
residue. If bubbling water without a stone is a little less efficient,
I do not think that I care too much.

Any thoughts on this?

I think a piece of tubing with very small holes laid in the bottom will give
you better results than a stone . Put the holes on the underside .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old November 23rd 10, 01:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 21:23:22 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Ignoramus18625" wrote in message
m...
I finally visited Wal-Mart and bought two timers. I want to run the
skimmer off of one timer, and aerator (fishtank style air pump) on
another timer.

My question is, do I need a stone on the aerator, or not. I am
concerned that the stone will eventually become plugged by coolant
residue. If bubbling water without a stone is a little less efficient,
I do not think that I care too much.

Any thoughts on this?

Do the math, ig. Finer bubbles make for more surface area to transfer
gases. I use a stone when aerating my wort (beer cooked in the first phase)
with oxygen. It helps the yeast to work better. What are you aerating
coolant for?

My thinking was just the opposite. Its in the back corner of the sump
with its main job to push oil to the skimmer. No way to see if the
stone plugs, and it will. If your stone plugs and you don't catch it,
you're in for a totally awful job of cleaning a putrid sump.

Always more than one way to skin a cat.

Karl

Old November 23rd 10, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Ignoramus18625" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Actually...the air bubbles are to kill anerobic bacteria...bugs that
grow without Oxygen and when they die..the sludge that is left behind
breaks down easily enough.

But maybe Im wrong?

Gunner

Old November 23rd 10, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-23, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus18625" wrote in message
I finally visited Wal-Mart and bought two timers. I want to run the
skimmer off of one timer, and aerator (fishtank style air pump) on
another timer.

My question is, do I need a stone on the aerator, or not. I am
concerned that the stone will eventually become plugged by coolant
residue. If bubbling water without a stone is a little less efficient,
I do not think that I care too much.

Any thoughts on this?

Do the math, ig. Finer bubbles make for more surface area to transfer
gases. I use a stone when aerating my wort (beer cooked in the first phase)
with oxygen. It helps the yeast to work better. What are you aerating
coolant for?

If coolant is left without air, then anaerobic bacteria turn it into
a nasty mess. It stinks, causes allergies and other diseases. The oil
forms clumps and clogs coolant lines, etc.

Anyway, as of last night, I have two timers controlling the aerator
and the skimmer. Each can be controlled in 30 minute intervals. I am
not yet sure what is the best approach as to when to schedule what, I
scheduled various things and I will re-evaluate it later.

As of now, I have 99.8% of oil removed, the coolant is nice and milky
etc.

I think that 30 minutes per day or aeration and skimming ought to be
enough to my level of use. The coolant that I have, is very good stuff
and should last a long time if I add water from time to time.