Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aerating coolant, do I need a "stone" or not

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 16:18:44 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Tue, 23 Nov 2010 13:04:05 -0800
On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 11:32:42 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 08:43:49 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 07:39:15 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 21:23:22 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Ignoramus18625" wrote in message
news:buqdnbxQ9vWjYXTRnZ2dnUVZ_oudnZ2d@gigane ws.com...
I finally visited Wal-Mart and bought two timers. I want to run the
skimmer off of one timer, and aerator (fishtank style air pump) on
another timer.

My question is, do I need a stone on the aerator, or not. I am
concerned that the stone will eventually become plugged by coolant
residue. If bubbling water without a stone is a little less efficient,
I do not think that I care too much.

Any thoughts on this?

Do the math, ig. Finer bubbles make for more surface area to transfer
gases. I use a stone when aerating my wort (beer cooked in the first phase)
with oxygen. It helps the yeast to work better. What are you aerating
coolant for?

My thinking was just the opposite. Its in the back corner of the sump
with its main job to push oil to the skimmer. No way to see if the
stone plugs, and it will. If your stone plugs and you don't catch it,
you're in for a totally awful job of cleaning a putrid sump.

Always more than one way to skin a cat.

Karl

Actually...the air bubbles are to kill anerobic bacteria...bugs that
grow without Oxygen and when they die..the sludge that is left behind
breaks down easily enough.

But maybe Im wrong?

Gunner

yea, but the question is how much O2 do you need? My guess is a clean
surface (no tramp oil) and the coarse bubbles are enough. No question
a stone would put more O2 per unit run time while it works. I
haven't done an academic study on it. There should be government funds
from Obama for a federal program on this VBG

Karl

Oh hell yes!

Kin I be listed as a co-author?

This should net us a $100k each at the least!!!!

Do not forget to look into the implications for Global Warming,
Green Technologies, and combating carbon dioxide.

tschus
pyotr

Your in! Wanna be the Front Man?

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't