Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Refrigerator not working again!

Ignoramus30441 wrote:

Well, here's a little update.

After 36 hours of sitting without power, the fridge would not start,
the compressor motor buzzes and shuts off in 20 seconds or so.

So, presumptively, the compressor is seized. I want to know how much
would it cost to replace it, by a fridge repair professional of
course.

Thanks

That is when I'd toss it. Next machine, forget the eye candy electronics, it isn't
required to make a decent fridge.

I'm still running a 1987 Hotpoint that came with my modular home. I've replaced the fan
in the freezer section and the mechanical defrost timer, both fairly cheap and a learning
experience. A compressor with labor costs, that is time to walk away and buy another
fridge. I hope your wife isn't into stainless steel and other cost increasers.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-24, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus30441 wrote:

Well, here's a little update.

After 36 hours of sitting without power, the fridge would not start,
the compressor motor buzzes and shuts off in 20 seconds or so.

So, presumptively, the compressor is seized. I want to know how much
would it cost to replace it, by a fridge repair professional of
course.

Thanks

That is when I'd toss it. Next machine, forget the eye candy electronics, it isn't
required to make a decent fridge.

We bought it used for not too much.

But I agree. I do not think that the electronics is at fault here,
though. For a garage fridge, we need a bare bones simple fridge. I
would like a side by side, but without water or ice maker.

I'm still running a 1987 Hotpoint that came with my modular home.
I've replaced the fan in the freezer section and the mechanical
defrost timer, both fairly cheap and a learning experience. A
compressor with labor costs, that is time to walk away and buy
another fridge. I hope your wife isn't into stainless steel and
other cost increasers.

For inside the house, maybe, but for the garage regular white should
work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 23, 6:46*pm, Ignoramus30441 ignoramus30...@NOSPAM.
On 2010-09-24, Wes wrote:

Ignoramus30441 wrote:

[...]

I tried to buy a side by side last year without an ice maker, they
don't stock them that way, so it was a special order, I needed a new
fridge immediately. The other problem is width, appears the standard
width these days is 36 inches, my space was 33, so a 32 inch
refrigerator was another limit to selection. I ended up with a
Whirlpool. Absolute piece of sh*t. Ice maker consumes 1/3 the
freezer, has crusher and water on door (don't want or need). The
doors swing open 160 degrees, and are always in the fricking way.
They scaled down the 36 inch to 32, and clearly this does not work
from a human factors standpoint. Everything gets lost with the narrow
shelves of their design.
I would suggest to stay away from the dual door refrigerators (not
side by side but frige on top, freezer bottom) that have a moving
mullion that seals the dual door. Seems this will be a failure with
the mechanical clap-trap of having this swing in and out of the way
when opening the left or right door.
ignator
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus30441 wrote:
For a garage fridge, we need a bare bones simple fridge. I
would like a side by side, but without water or ice maker.

That's another problem. Home refrigerators were not designed to run in
very low temperatures. You can get away with this in Oklahoma or
something, but the winter temperatures in your Chicago-area garage may be
killing the compressors. Very low condenser temperatures tend to trap the
oil and prevent it flowing back to the compressor. Also, if the
compressor can
stay off for many hours (likely in the winter) it will go completely
cold, and the
oil will gel and not feed into the intake valve and main bearings. I'm
not sure
if the synthetic oils (PAG) used with the ozone-safe refrigerants are
worse in this
regard than the mineral-oil derived lubes for the old R12 fridges.

Jon