Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Refrigerator not working again!

Ignoramus30441 wrote:
For a garage fridge, we need a bare bones simple fridge. I
would like a side by side, but without water or ice maker.

That's another problem. Home refrigerators were not designed to run in
very low temperatures. You can get away with this in Oklahoma or
something, but the winter temperatures in your Chicago-area garage may be
killing the compressors. Very low condenser temperatures tend to trap the
oil and prevent it flowing back to the compressor. Also, if the
compressor can
stay off for many hours (likely in the winter) it will go completely
cold, and the
oil will gel and not feed into the intake valve and main bearings. I'm
not sure
if the synthetic oils (PAG) used with the ozone-safe refrigerants are
worse in this
regard than the mineral-oil derived lubes for the old R12 fridges.

Jon