Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Warehouse in a black town? Buerste?

On 2010-09-13, Ignoramus20659 wrote:
Been looking at finding some investment to make. There is a big
liquidation auction coming up. Some CNC/screw machine company is
bankrupt.

Along with it, a warehouse is offered for sale. It is actually big,
19,000 square feet (not a typo) on 1.4 acres of land.

The building is in good condition. The starting price for the building
is 200,000, which works out to slightly over 10 dollars per square foot.
For those who have not been buying and selling warehouses, this is a
very cheap price. (but see below)

This building is being currently marketed by a real estate firm and
the asking price is $299,000.

There is no evidence that there were any recent breakins into this
building (all windows are intact, old and dusty).

The building is located in a town (Dolton, IL) that is 81% black.

I compared crime stats of Dolton and Naperville, which is a big city
next to me. Some crime rares are about same (murder) but some (such as
burglaries) are about 4 times higher.

I drove around the area a lot just to get a feel and my feel is that
it is not a very high crime area. (houses are maintained, shops not
boarded up).

This place is 1 hour away from me.

I am not even sure of basic things, like will I be required to give
bribes to everyone, how will police treat me, will I be asked to pay
for protection to gangs etc.

But in any case, while I am considering making a low bid, I want to
make sure that it does not become an expensive educational project in
how not to invest in real estate.

Forgot to add. This is a sealed bid sale.

The building is owned by an "investor". This "investor" bought it in
2008. I looked up some online stuff on the Cook County recorder of
deeds website. It was bought from MB Financial and all I know is that
there is currently a 238,000 mortgage on it. So if I, say, bid $205k
it would be even below the mortgage. I realize that the possibility of
such a low bid (which is still hypothetical, I did not yet bid), is
low, but that's how I operate, I submit low bids.

I talked to this investor. He told me that he was getting $15k/month
in rent. However, the company went bankrupt a year ago and so he only
received that amount for a year. And this is if I was to believe his
number. I am not sure if I would believe it, as it sounds a bit good
to be true wrt the price that is being asked.

If I can get, say, $2 per square foot per yeat triple net, then it
would amount to $40k/year, which is almost 20% return. That seems
pretty doable.

But I have no experience dealing with problems such as breaking etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20659 wrote:

On 2010-09-13, Ignoramus20659 wrote:
[...]

Tax and insurance load would be my big concern. If you are looking to do
this without a mortgage, then at least that's one less expense to worry
about when the building is vacant. You'd still have taxes, insurance,
utilities and maintenance to take care of when the building is vacant,
so it's important to know what your worst case monthly expenses will be
while trying to find a tenant. You should also investigate the costs of
having a professional commercial property management company manage it
for you. The cost of such management cuts into your profits, but a
decent management company can go a long way towards keeping the building
occupied and avoiding some problems.

As for the neighborhood, the racial makeup of the area is far less
important than the character makeup of the area. If it is an area where
people maintain their property, and particularly an area with mostly
single family houses that are reasonably maintained, it's likely a good
area.

What do you figure, section off 4k sq. ft. for your own use and lease
the other 15k?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20659 wrote:

On 2010-09-13, Ignoramus20659 wrote:
[...]

Definitely without a mortgage.

, then at least that's one less expense to worry about when the
building is vacant. You'd still have taxes, insurance, utilities and
maintenance to take care of when the building is vacant, so it's
important to know what your worst case monthly expenses will be
while trying to find a tenant.

Taxes are 31k per year, but supposedly were just reduced due to
unoccupies status. The owner will send me some paperwork today.

You should also investigate the costs
of having a professional commercial property management company
manage it for you. The cost of such management cuts into your
profits, but a decent management company can go a long way towards
keeping the building occupied and avoiding some problems.

That would be good if that would free up my time.

As for the neighborhood, the racial makeup of the area is far less
important than the character makeup of the area. If it is an area where
people maintain their property, and particularly an area with mostly
single family houses that are reasonably maintained, it's likely a good
area.

Yes, it did seem to be this way, maintained single family homes. Not
mansions to be sure, but painted, clean, streets not full of garbage
etc.

What do you figure, section off 4k sq. ft. for your own use and lease
the other 15k?

I might do that, the building does have two sections. It is kind of
far from me to use on a regular basis (50-60 minutes drive).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20659 wrote:

On 2010-09-13, Ignoramus20659 wrote:
[...]

Don't forget insurance. The commercial insurance you will need (and
plenty of it) is *not* cheap.

[...]

That's a pretty routine trip for me, I'm about from Dallas. I do try to
organize my trips so I get a number of things accomplished each time I
go down, but it's not a big deal.

Another thing to check carefully but before purchase as well as with
prospective tenants is environmental. You don't want to buy a Superfund
site, or even something that will require smaller remediation as even
tiny remediation is $$$$.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20659 wrote:

On 2010-09-13, Ignoramus20659 wrote:
[...]

The owner says that his 2008 environmental report is clean. Village of
Dolton does not have anything disparaging. The place looks relatively
clean.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20659 wrote:

On 2010-09-13, Ignoramus20659 wrote:
[...]

That's good, but don't forget to check on insurance, you may find
premiums are a lot higher than you might think. And you certainly don't
want to get into this without proper insurance, particularly commercial
liability.

If you don't already have one, you should also be looking for a "PLUP"
personal liability umbrella policy, those are pretty inexpensive and can
be very helpful.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:51:16 -0500, Ignoramus20659
wrote:

And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

Good looking building. Late 50s early 60s construction but well taken
care of.

Im not a big fan of the trees to the rear..but then Im from California
and thats simply no more and no less than a huge fire danger here.

Say..how much did that OmniTurn go for ?

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

Good looking building. Late 50s early 60s construction but well taken
care of.

Im not a big fan of the trees to the rear..but then Im from California
and thats simply no more and no less than a huge fire danger here.

Say..how much did that OmniTurn go for ?

They have not sold it yet. Wat do you think it is worth
conservatively?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

Good looking building. Late 50s early 60s construction but well taken
care of.

Im not a big fan of the trees to the rear..but then Im from California
and thats simply no more and no less than a huge fire danger here.

I do not like their potential use as a drinking and raping place, or a
drug selling place, from a liability standpoint. But the woods are good
as a lunch place.

A few hours with a chainsaw and a mower would do wonders.

Let me know what the omniturn is worth in your opinion

Say..how much did that OmniTurn go for ?

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

Good looking building. Late 50s early 60s construction but well taken
care of.

Im not a big fan of the trees to the rear..but then Im from California
and thats simply no more and no less than a huge fire danger here.

Say..how much did that OmniTurn go for ?

They have not sold it yet. Wat do you think it is worth
conservatively?

$12-19k depending on what drive it has in it.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

Someone suggested for you to make thumbnails since the pics were so
large. After trying to view the first one, I'll concur. It's aking so
long to DL the pic I wouldn't want to try to view all of them. It
would take an hour...on DSL, no less.

Do you get the Omniturns, Swiss screw machines (?), and other
inventory, too? TAKE THE DEAL! g

--
Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins
when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

Someone suggested for you to make thumbnails since the pics were so
large. After trying to view the first one, I'll concur. It's aking so
long to DL the pic I wouldn't want to try to view all of them. It
would take an hour...on DSL, no less.

I really wish Iggy would either post them to Picasa..or put in a "next
photo" button on the viewing page. Hitting Back every time gets
tiresome.

Do you get the Omniturns, Swiss screw machines (?), and other
inventory, too? TAKE THE DEAL! g

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

Someone suggested for you to make thumbnails since the pics were so
large. After trying to view the first one, I'll concur. It's aking so
long to DL the pic I wouldn't want to try to view all of them. It
would take an hour...on DSL, no less.

I really wish Iggy would either post them to Picasa..or put in a "next
photo" button on the viewing page. Hitting Back every time gets
tiresome.

Can't you right click on the link and chose either 'Open in new
window' or 'Open in new tab'?

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus20659 wrote:

And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

It looks like it was originally built for a small manufacturer, and only
later became a warehouse.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

Someone suggested for you to make thumbnails since the pics were so
large. After trying to view the first one, I'll concur. It's aking so
long to DL the pic I wouldn't want to try to view all of them. It
would take an hour...on DSL, no less.

I really wish Iggy would either post them to Picasa..or put in a "next
photo" button on the viewing page. Hitting Back every time gets
tiresome.

Can't you right click on the link and chose either 'Open in new
window' or 'Open in new tab'?

Indeed I could, over and over and over again.

Shrug
Iggy is VERY good with computers. A simple "next" button would be a snap
for him.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

Someone suggested for you to make thumbnails since the pics were so
large. After trying to view the first one, I'll concur. It's aking so
long to DL the pic I wouldn't want to try to view all of them. It
would take an hour...on DSL, no less.

I really wish Iggy would either post them to Picasa..or put in a "next
photo" button on the viewing page. Hitting Back every time gets
tiresome.

Can't you right click on the link and chose either 'Open in new
window' or 'Open in new tab'?

Indeed I could, over and over and over again.

Shrug
Iggy is VERY good with computers. A simple "next" button would be a snap
for him.

But, but, my pictures do have a next button.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

Someone suggested for you to make thumbnails since the pics were so
large. After trying to view the first one, I'll concur. It's aking so
long to DL the pic I wouldn't want to try to view all of them. It
would take an hour...on DSL, no less.

I really wish Iggy would either post them to Picasa..or put in a "next
photo" button on the viewing page. Hitting Back every time gets
tiresome.

Can't you right click on the link and chose either 'Open in new
window' or 'Open in new tab'?

Indeed I could, over and over and over again.

Shrug
Iggy is VERY good with computers. A simple "next" button would be a snap
for him.

But, but, my pictures do have a next button.

He failed to notice that *and* what a center-click is for. On his
computer day and night, yet can't navigate a page of thumbnails, but
makes time to advertise his deficiencies. Oh well, at least he has
that 1000gb of roadkill recipes and conspiracy theories. :-)

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-14, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus20659 wrote:

And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

It looks like it was originally built for a small manufacturer, and only
later became a warehouse.

Actually I used a wrong term to describe it. It is a factory building.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 14, 8:00*am, Ignoramus5013
On 2010-09-14, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,
*Ignoramus20659 wrote:

And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

* *http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

It looks like it was originally built for a small manufacturer, and only
later became a warehouse.

Actually I used a wrong term to describe it. It is a factory building.

Have you actually investigated the zoning for the building to see what
type of manufacturing may be done there? At least here in Oregon, that
is a problem.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul, I think that I will submit a bid. I obtained a cashiers check
for a 10% deposit that would accompany the bid. I have not actually
submitted it though.

On 2010-09-13, wrote:
On Sep 13, 1:51?pm, Ignoramus20659 ignoramus20...@NOSPAM.
20659.invalid wrote:
And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

? ?
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

Nice looking building. Well maintained. I see the floor is pained or
epoxy coated concrete. Easy maintenance. Also the roof construction is
too light for a wet fire sprinkler system ( one always filled and
ready to go). However, the roof is sheet metal with probably sprayed-
on coating. should last for ever. Does the office area have the same
roof construction? When you get serious, have the listing agent bring
a ladder and go with you to check the roof and water scuppers on both
the main building and the office area.

From the outside, there appears to be a later addition to the back
end. Wonder about that.

Another avenue of investigation is to check the building permit
history for the property. Either city or county will have that info.
They can also clue you into the cost of permits for modifying/
upgrading the building for your purposes, like the partitioning. The
permitting cost may be significant, but you may be able to talk them
into reducing the cost when you actually get to changing things.

I see a similar building in the background. you might get friendly
with the owner/land lord of that building and pick their brain for
answer to some of your questions about the neighborhood.

Such fun. Kind of like looking for a wife!

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 09:10:51 -0500, Ignoramus5013

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

On top of the picture page.

Gunner

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The Group Picture Page..or the individual Picture page?

You need one on the Individual Picture page. When one clicks on a photo
to view it..lets say the first OmniTurn photo..and you would like to
view the rest of the omniTurn photos..having the ability to click and
view the next, and the next and the next would be Swell. Having to hit
back, pick the next picture, double click it..wait...view, hit back,
double click..wait... tends to become tedious.

Gunner

Gunner

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It is at the top of the individual picture pages..

Odd..doesnt show on my version of Firefox.

Damn.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

that is where I have it.

to view it..lets say the first OmniTurn photo..and you would like to
view the rest of the omniTurn photos..having the ability to click and
view the next, and the next and the next would be Swell. Having to hit
back, pick the next picture, double click it..wait...view, hit back,
double click..wait... tends to become tedious.

Gunner

this is exactly how it works!!!

Click on the first OmniTurn picture, see it, and click Next!

My deepest apologies. I just updated Firefox and I now see the buttons.

Which is a bit "odd" but..shrug.

Thanks!

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Maybe the 2' centipede ate it off your screen.

You never cease to amaze.

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

Someone suggested for you to make thumbnails since the pics were so
large. After trying to view the first one, I'll concur. It's aking so
long to DL the pic I wouldn't want to try to view all of them. It
would take an hour...on DSL, no less.

I really wish Iggy would either post them to Picasa..or put in a "next
photo" button on the viewing page. Hitting Back every time gets
tiresome.

Can't you right click on the link and chose either 'Open in new
window' or 'Open in new tab'?

Indeed I could, over and over and over again.

Shrug
Iggy is VERY good with computers. A simple "next" button would be a snap
for him.

He could also use this simple HTML code to open each in a new window:

a href="photoXXXX.jpg" target="window2"img SRC="photoXXXX.jpg"/a

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And that is what I am already doing. It is all based on simple html
and opens in a separate window.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

Someone suggested for you to make thumbnails since the pics were so
large. After trying to view the first one, I'll concur. It's aking so
long to DL the pic I wouldn't want to try to view all of them. It
would take an hour...on DSL, no less.

I really wish Iggy would either post them to Picasa..or put in a "next
photo" button on the viewing page. Hitting Back every time gets
tiresome.

Can't you right click on the link and chose either 'Open in new
window' or 'Open in new tab'?

Where have I screwed up? I just open one and click on "next" "next"
"next" until it quits working.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

Someone suggested for you to make thumbnails since the pics were so
large. After trying to view the first one, I'll concur. It's aking so
long to DL the pic I wouldn't want to try to view all of them. It
would take an hour...on DSL, no less.

I really wish Iggy would either post them to Picasa..or put in a "next
photo" button on the viewing page. Hitting Back every time gets
tiresome.

Can't you right click on the link and chose either 'Open in new
window' or 'Open in new tab'?

Where have I screwed up? I just open one and click on "next" "next"
"next" until it quits working.

I was replying to what Gunner said he found. Iggy said the links open
in new windows, so you would open a lot of them that way. I wasn't
interested in looking at the pictures, since I just went through a
business buying a building and moving a few months ago. Instead, I am
working on their two current websites, and they want to add a third site
for a new product. Today they told me they want to change their web
host, again.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And here's how the building looks on a nice September day.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

Someone suggested for you to make thumbnails since the pics were so
large. After trying to view the first one, I'll concur. It's aking so
long to DL the pic I wouldn't want to try to view all of them. It
would take an hour...on DSL, no less.

I really wish Iggy would either post them to Picasa..or put in a "next
photo" button on the viewing page. Hitting Back every time gets
tiresome.

Can't you right click on the link and chose either 'Open in new
window' or 'Open in new tab'?

Indeed I could, over and over and over again.

Shrug
Iggy is VERY good with computers. A simple "next" button would be a snap
for him.

But, but, my pictures do have a next button.

Yabbut, they're all shown at 80% of height by the browser while the
entire 3k x 2.5kpixel picture downloads. What I've suggested is
putting up 600x800ish pics which link to the large, slow, bulky pics.

--
Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins
when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in
order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary.
-- Peter Minard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Pete said:
It is at the top of the individual picture pages..

Odd..doesnt show on my version of Firefox.

Damn.

Try this one. It works for my Firefox v3.69.
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/Dolton-0031.jpg.html

The thumbnail page doesn't have them, though.
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/

--
Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins
when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in
order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary.
-- Peter Minard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 18:08:41 -0500, Ignoramus5013

wrote:

[...]

Yes, you're doing something like that but you're not using a smaller
pic to reference to the larger one in the link. You used the original
LARGE pic and told the browser to scale the -view- down, leaving the
entire image to be downloaded and translated, taking more time.

A href="http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/Dolton-0001.jpg" IMG
SRC="http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/Dolton-0001.jpg"
HEIGHT=80%/a which is a 3,872x2592 pixel 4.7MB pic. Egad, no
wonder they were taking so long.

Let's say that Athumb.jpg is an 800x600 pic, 67k in size and A.jpg is
the bigass 4.7mb original. Use this code to display the decent sized
picture with no translation and a reasonable download time. Click on
the pic to get the bigass graphic to download.

a href="A.jpg" target="window"img SRC="Athumb.jpg"/a

--
Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins
when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in
order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary.
-- Peter Minard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

He's making the mistake of using the 'Constrain' function. I've
tried in vain to convince people not to, to the point that I don't
bother with websites like that, or businesses that stupid.

A href="http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/Dolton-0001.jpg" IMG
SRC="http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dolton/Dolton-0001.jpg"
HEIGHT=80%/a which is a 3,872x2592 pixel 4.7MB pic. Egad, no
wonder they were taking so long.

Let's say that Athumb.jpg is an 800x600 pic, 67k in size and A.jpg is
the bigass 4.7mb original. Use this code to display the decent sized
picture with no translation and a reasonable download time. Click on
the pic to get the bigass graphic to download.

a href="A.jpg" target="window"img SRC="Athumb.jpg"/a

Personally, I keep file names in lower case to make sure It doesn't
end up like some websites I've had to clean up. Someone adds a new page
or item, and edits a handful of pages. Sometimes they miss a page or
50. Some are in lower case, some are in upper and some are mixed. If
you are using windows based computers and servers it doesn't matter.
Other servers are case sensitive, giving 404 errors. One website had
hundreds of these mistakes. One way to eliminate that problem is to
build the new code, then replace an entire block of code if you maintain
a site by hand.

Also, I prefer using '-t' for thumbnails to keep the file names
shorter and easier to read in columns when making sure everything is
ready to upload.

a href="a.jpg" target="window"img src="a-t.jpg"/a

This is for those who aren't familiar with writing HTML code.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It is much worse if I do not constrain. Huge images do not display
well. If you want to see the whole image, just click on it. Then the
browser will scale it, and it is already in the cache, so it is fast.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12065 wrote:

It is much worse if I do not constrain. Huge images do not display
well. If you want to see the whole image, just click on it. Then the
browser will scale it, and it is already in the cache, so it is fast.

Not if people give up in disgust and close the web page. Open the
damn images in Paint, GIMP or any other graphics manipulation program
and reduce them to 10 or 25% of the original size, then save them as
thumbnails. You're just being lazy and wasting a hell of a lot of
bandwidth. You don't notice it on a local system, but it is damn
annoying online. It's your choice, but a lot of people who might be
interested in something, or be able to help will just stop looking at
anything you post. I know that I have.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-16, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Ignoramus12065 wrote:

It is much worse if I do not constrain. Huge images do not display
well. If you want to see the whole image, just click on it. Then the
browser will scale it, and it is already in the cache, so it is fast.

Not if people give up in disgust and close the web page. Open the
damn images in Paint, GIMP or any other graphics manipulation program
and reduce them to 10 or 25% of the original size, then save them as
thumbnails.

But I already display thumbnails on the index page.

So, my logic is, you look at the index page, pick pictures you want,
and then look at them in the picture page -- where it makes sense to
display it full size.

You're just being lazy and wasting a hell of a lot of bandwidth.
You don't notice it on a local system, but it is damn annoying
online. It's your choice, but a lot of people who might be
interested in something, or be able to help will just stop looking
at anything you post. I know that I have.

You can always just look at the index page -- which is what I usually
post -- and then pick one or two pictures if you really want to look
at them.

Who just got off the phone talking to a Google ad optimization specialist.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-16, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Ignoramus12065 wrote:

[...]

Yawn. So, now you've sold your soul to Google?

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-16, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Ignoramus12065 wrote:

[...]

They pay me for ads, not for soul.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-16, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Ignoramus12065 wrote:

[...]

That''s HOW they pay you for your soul.

enough left over to pay them.

How to buy a warehouse Ignoramus8246 Metalworking 37 March 31st 10 05:45 AM
Hey Buerste Snag[_3_] Metalworking 9 March 5th 10 11:46 AM
Texas town robs black motorists (Chicago Tribune) Ignoramus26567 Metalworking 28 March 16th 09 05:09 PM
B&Q Warehouse R D S UK diy 32 September 3rd 07 09:12 AM
B&Q warehouse John UK diy 8 March 4th 06 03:53 PM