Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spindle crash

On 2010-08-21, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 13:05:07 -0500, Ignoramus25139

On 2010-08-21, Karl Townsend wrote:

Karl, maybe next year, I still have a lot to do. So tell me, those
Hardinge HNCs, which I also saw selling for $1k, can be refitted with
a new control easily? (easily, to me, means, not harder than my
Bridgeport). Docs available? Do they have an indexable turret?

Hardinge has great docs, and gunner has forgot more about them than
you'll ever need to know.

FWIW, I'd start looking now. You get better deals with a long time
frame. And machinery is on fire sale now.

Look at gunner's video. That's called gang tooling, no turret. For an
omni refit of a hardinge they pull the turret off. Refitting a
hardinge to gang tool would be a smaller job than your mill.

If you want to keep the turret, you'll have to learn how to handle
more I/O and PLC type logic in EMC. Its a sure bet somebody has
already done a hardinge. I like having the turret, all the tools I use
are all set up and ready to go, up to 16 is not a problem. You can
quickly swap entire turrets out You also can more easily make long
parts with a turret.

P.S. Gunner's right, its time for you to eat crow on your words about
never needing another machine. Don't feel bad, I'm addicted too. I
REALLY want another lathe, got my heart set on a Leblond servo shift

Karl, I am starting to like this idea. I know nothing about CNC
lathes. I believe that some people on the EMC2 IRC channel refitted a
Hardinge CHNC or some such. I know that EMC2 handles ladder logic and
can do tool changes, though I am sure that it is complicated.

So, let me say something and you would say if it is true or not. I can
buy a Hardinge NC lathe, in a decent condition, throw out the entire
cabinet with electronics, refit it with EMC2 and parallel port I/O
controller (like Jon's), do some configuration work like on the mill,
and I will end up with a decent hobby CNC lathe. No need for taper
attachments and other B/S. Right?

Id not toss the cabinet...thats where all the relays and control lines
are. Id GUT OUT the stuff you dont need though.

And yes.

So maybe I will eat crow soon, or maybe not.

Anyway, I am very happy after having gutted the BP cabinet and all the
relays as well (though I re-added one contactor later). There was a
lot of weird relay logic that I personally did not want.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 22 Aug 2010 01:28:17 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2010-08-21, Ignoramus11290 wrote:
Gunner, I was watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etLSxAV15lQ

and wondering, how much are you asking for your omniturn.

And -- what it is doing in the last third -- totally in the
dark, but still machining sounds in the background. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

LOL..looks like Mike screwed up the video before uploading it.

Ill call him Monday and tease him about it.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 21:33:21 -0500, Ignoramus25139

On 2010-08-21, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 10:45:46 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Karl, maybe next year, I still have a lot to do. So tell me, those
Hardinge HNCs, which I also saw selling for $1k, can be refitted with
a new control easily? (easily, to me, means, not harder than my
Bridgeport). Docs available? Do they have an indexable turret?

Hardinge has great docs, and gunner has forgot more about them than
you'll ever need to know.

FWIW, I'd start looking now. You get better deals with a long time
frame. And machinery is on fire sale now.

Look at gunner's video. That's called gang tooling, no turret. For an
omni refit of a hardinge they pull the turret off. Refitting a
hardinge to gang tool would be a smaller job than your mill.

To do a full retrofit, from an unstripped machine to a fully functional
machine ready to make parts...is about 8-10 hours. About 4 hours
stripping the machine, pulling the 1.5hp motor and sticking in a 5hp,
adding the control, coolant pump controls etc etc..is about 5-6 hours.

Course Ive only done a couple hundred...shrug.

What control?

OmniTurn of course.

A kit includes a 5hp motor, spindle encoder (based on machine type), the
slide/ways/servos, control and all cabling and associated Stuff needed
to install one on a carcass. Typically Hardinge, HC, AHC, DV-59, DSMA,
etc etc. But Ive installed them on Pratt and Whitney turret machines,
old Hitachi lathes, A couple Hardinge HLV-H tool room lathes..including
one that came as a crated BRAND NEW HLV-H tool room lathe, that I
stripped all the gear off, and installed a OmniTurn on. For the engineer
at Guidant. He was making heart transducer couplings on it. Taking a
secret metal, . 50" in diameter and turning ..in a single pass..down to
a .020 needle 3" long..then drilling a hole in the needle..length wise.
..005 in diameter. 3" deep.

We finally changed the order of process though..we drilled a .005"
diameter hole in the center of that .50 metal bore, then turned it down
to .20

We kept bending the secret metal needle the other way.

I spent a half day (on my own time) taking all the brand new HLV-H parts
off gently, wrapping them up and putting them in storage, before doing
the retrofit. The lathe cost $40,000 and they were simply going to
chuck the slide and tailstock and whatnot in the trash.

Brrrrrrrr.....

Then I installed 2 at RockShox factory.

Busy week that week

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25139 wrote:

I think that there is a little potentiometer on the amps to limit
torque (current), I should try to adjust this so that no more than,
say, 500 lbs is delivered to any axis. I will look into this.

But, this limits your acceleration, so you get rounded corners. If you
set the acceleration
in EMC higher than the amps permit, then you get following errors.

Jon

Spindle nose adapter for Delta-Rockwell 11" lathe (#25-100) with L-00 spindle Dan Allen Metalworking 7 April 3rd 14 05:12 PM
NY Prius crash Ed Pawlowski Home Repair 9 March 24th 10 04:35 AM
Catfish crash -ED Woodworking 0 June 26th 06 10:16 PM
Problem installing Tradesman drillpress - "locking" spindle arborinto the spindle mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net Woodworking 4 April 18th 06 01:31 AM
HVLP crash course SteveB Metalworking 3 May 31st 05 11:52 PM