Posted to rec.woodworking
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Default Problem installing Tradesman drillpress - "locking" spindle arborinto the spindle

I'm installing my new Tradesman 13" 12-speed drillpress and I am having
problems with the "next to the last" step. Figures, huh?

As instructed, I cleaned the tapered hole in the chuck and the tapered
surface of the arbor and set the arbor into the chuck. This worked
fine. Next, I lowered the spindle (by turning the feed handles
anticlockwise) until the slot appeared on the side. Again ... no problem.

NOW ... I'm instructed to push the chuck and spindle arbor up into the
spindle to "engage" and "lock" it in the inner slot of the spindle.

Through the slot, I can see the upper narrow end of the spindle arbor
shank going into the spindle as described. But I can't figure out how to
"lock" it into place.

Am I supposed to push harder? What exactly locks this into place?

Would anyone out there know how to do this with the Tradesman? Thanks!

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking
Shopdog

HIT it with a rubber or wooden mallet.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick Samuel

HIT it with a rubber or wooden mallet.

If you mean hit the chuck w/ a mallet, open the chuck till the jaws are
inside the housing.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"
wrote:

What exactly locks this into place?

Friction, my man, friction. Retract the chuck jaws into the chuck body
and give it a few moderate taps upwards with a twobafour. If it still
falls out, pop the chuck and taper into the fridge or freezer for a few
hours and then tap it into the DP spindle. As the cold taper expands, it
will help "lock" it in place.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05