Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mini Cannon

found in cyberspace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxHW-...feature=search
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
found in cyberspace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxHW-...feature=search
Karl

looks like fun
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-20, RBnDFW wrote:
wrote:
found in cyberspace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxHW-...feature=search
Karl

looks like fun

Looks like something to make at home
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--FWIW I wrote the guy a letter to find out a little more about it
but I guess so many people wrote that he's only sent out a form letter in
response and I didn't really get my questions answered; maybe some of you
lot can set me straight?
--For starters I made a little cannon of my own but it doesn't work
for beans: best I can do is lob a bb about 2ft. I'm thinking the type of
powder I'm using might have something to do with it and that the open
touch-hole is dissipating some of the force. So for starters where does one
get that kewl small-diameter fuze he's using? And who's got a source for
that extra-extra fine powder he's using? Ordinary pistol powder is maybe too
coarse for this application..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : A human without a critter
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : is incomplete..
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 20, 1:31*pm, steamer wrote:
[...]

That is, indeed, a most excellent project. If you do find out anything
further about the consumables, please keep us in the loop.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 20 Aug 2010 17:31:14 GMT, steamer wrote:

--FWIW I wrote the guy a letter to find out a little more about it
but I guess so many people wrote that he's only sent out a form letter in
response and I didn't really get my questions answered; maybe some of you
lot can set me straight?
--For starters I made a little cannon of my own but it doesn't work
for beans: best I can do is lob a bb about 2ft. I'm thinking the type of
powder I'm using might have something to do with it and that the open
touch-hole is dissipating some of the force. So for starters where does one
get that kewl small-diameter fuze he's using? And who's got a source for
that extra-extra fine powder he's using? Ordinary pistol powder is maybe too
coarse for this application..

4F should be used and it is entirely possible to Gently...in small
amounts..gently grind it smaller. His was a brownish color..rather than
black/grey...so Im not terribly sure it was actually black powder. It
had too much report for that small a quantity of black powder.

It may have been a fulmanate of some sort.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 11:31:26 -0500, RBnDFW

found in cyberspace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxHW-...feature=search
Karl

looks like fun

It's probably illegal in Californicate. If not, it soon will be as
soon as the leftards in Sacramento get wind of it.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/20/2010 1:31 PM, steamer wrote:
--FWIW I wrote the guy a letter to find out a little more about it
but I guess so many people wrote that he's only sent out a form letter in
response and I didn't really get my questions answered; maybe some of you
lot can set me straight?
--For starters I made a little cannon of my own but it doesn't work
for beans: best I can do is lob a bb about 2ft. I'm thinking the type of
powder I'm using might have something to do with it and that the open
touch-hole is dissipating some of the force. So for starters where does one
get that kewl small-diameter fuze he's using? And who's got a source for
that extra-extra fine powder he's using? Ordinary pistol powder is maybe too
coarse for this application..

If it's the little tiny brass mortar-looking one that you're talking
about, somebody else built a replica of it
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrThumbwii#p/u/3/GyFXZkHSU6Q. If you read
the comments you'll find some discussion of the powder.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
[...]

Definitely not enough smoke for black powder either, and I suspect after a
couple shots the smell would have driven him to continue his testing
outdoors. Been a while since I shot any of that crap, but Pyrodex is a
greyer color than BP. Still I think Pyrodex produces more smoke than that
also.

You used to be able to buy 4F and 5F BP because its used in flash pans for
those purists who still shoot flintlocks.

I don't know about fuse that size, but larger waterproof canon fuse has been
available at all the gun shows I have ever attended.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 15:35:52 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

[...]

Flash powder. I was figuring something like that. Black would be far
too slow in a tiny bore like that

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-20, Bob La Londe wrote:

[ ... ]

I don't know about fuse that size, but larger waterproof canon fuse has been
available at all the gun shows I have ever attended.

That almost looks like the fuse used for the Jetex rocket
motors. It is a dark brown color, and actually has a copper wire core.
This made it possible to light a folded length of it electrically.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-20, Bob La Londe wrote:

[ ... ]

I don't know about fuse that size, but larger waterproof canon fuse has been
available at all the gun shows I have ever attended.

That almost looks like the fuse used for the Jetex rocket
motors. It is a dark brown color, and actually has a copper wire core.
This made it possible to light a folded length of it electrically.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I thought it might have been a fuse pulled from a fire cracker?

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb fired this volley in
m:

That almost looks like the fuse used for the Jetex rocket
motors. It is a dark brown color, and actually has a copper wire

core.
This made it possible to light a folded length of it electrically.

That's called "igniter cord", not "fuse". The brown color comes from the
composition, which includes lead tetroxide as a secondary high-
temperature oxidizer -- so-called "red lead". If it has only ONE wire
(on the inside), it is not made by Explo Brazil. Their igniter cord has
one copper wire in the center, and a stainless steel "carrier wire" just
inside the outer jacket.

The majority of the igniter cord used in the world today is made by Explo
Brazil, under the trademark of "Mantitor Ignitor". It comes in several
speeds.

The Germans and Swedes also make varieties of it. Ensign Bickford,
famous for fuse and blasting caps/initiators doesn't seem to be
interested in that particular market anymore.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-21, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
cavelamb fired this volley in
m:

That almost looks like the fuse used for the Jetex rocket
motors. It is a dark brown color, and actually has a copper wire

core.
This made it possible to light a folded length of it electrically.

That's called "igniter cord", not "fuse".

Well ... Jetex called it "fuse" -- if my memory from about 1960
is correct.

The brown color comes from the
composition, which includes lead tetroxide as a secondary high-
temperature oxidizer -- so-called "red lead". If it has only ONE wire
(on the inside), it is not made by Explo Brazil.

One centrally-located copper wire. I used some folded in two to
electrically ignite model rockets back a long time ago.

Their igniter cord has
one copper wire in the center, and a stainless steel "carrier wire" just
inside the outer jacket.

No stainless wires in the ones which I used.

The majority of the igniter cord used in the world today is made by Explo
Brazil, under the trademark of "Mantitor Ignitor". It comes in several
speeds.

I presume that it is planned to be used with electrical
ignition?

The Germans and Swedes also make varieties of it. Ensign Bickford,
famous for fuse and blasting caps/initiators doesn't seem to be
interested in that particular market anymore.

O.K.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 20, 7:31*am, steamer wrote:
[...]

With that amount of power and no patch I'm thinking flash powder.
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
found in cyberspace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxHW-...feature=search
Karl

Yeah, but when you really want a garage project .............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5KBRKdfotU

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Chandler" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 11:31:26 -0500, RBnDFW

found in cyberspace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxHW-...feature=search
Karl

looks like fun

It's probably illegal in Californicate. If not, it soon will be as
soon as the leftards in Sacramento get wind of it.

Jim

Someone screwed up. Californians aren't supposed to even be able to view
the video.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

wrote in message
found in cyberspace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxHW-...feature=search
Karl

Yeah, but when you really want a garage project .............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5KBRKdfotU

Steve

The A-10 in action. I would not want one of these after me.

Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwrULDxsPWc

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-20, RBnDFW wrote:
wrote:
found in cyberspace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxHW-...feature=search
Karl

looks like fun

Looks like something to make at home

Don't shoot the Smirnoff!

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Cannon sights?? steamer Metalworking 9 March 23rd 08 04:33 AM
PIRATE CANNON J T Woodworking 7 December 3rd 06 12:50 PM
DUST CANNON J T Woodworking 0 August 31st 06 10:56 PM
model cannon Turner Metalworking 70 April 20th 06 03:20 AM
INSPIRATION - Toy Cannon J T Woodworking 0 January 10th 05 07:35 PM