Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mini Cannon

On 2010-08-21, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
cavelamb fired this volley in
m:

That almost looks like the fuse used for the Jetex rocket
motors. It is a dark brown color, and actually has a copper wire

core.
This made it possible to light a folded length of it electrically.

That's called "igniter cord", not "fuse".

Well ... Jetex called it "fuse" -- if my memory from about 1960
is correct.

The brown color comes from the
composition, which includes lead tetroxide as a secondary high-
temperature oxidizer -- so-called "red lead". If it has only ONE wire
(on the inside), it is not made by Explo Brazil.

One centrally-located copper wire. I used some folded in two to
electrically ignite model rockets back a long time ago.

Their igniter cord has
one copper wire in the center, and a stainless steel "carrier wire" just
inside the outer jacket.

No stainless wires in the ones which I used.

The majority of the igniter cord used in the world today is made by Explo
Brazil, under the trademark of "Mantitor Ignitor". It comes in several
speeds.

I presume that it is planned to be used with electrical
ignition?

The Germans and Swedes also make varieties of it. Ensign Bickford,
famous for fuse and blasting caps/initiators doesn't seem to be
interested in that particular market anymore.

O.K.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564