Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is most "handcrafted" stuff actually CNC'ed?

I am just thinking now, knowing what I know now, and wonder if many
things that are sold as "handcrafted" are actually mass produced,
CNCed etc.

Example

http://ef.algebra.com/e/330459440392

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 16, 1:02*pm, Ignoramus28874 ignoramus28...@NOSPAM.
28874.invalid wrote:
I am just thinking now, knowing what I know now, and wonder if many
things that are sold as "handcrafted" are actually mass produced,
CNCed etc.

Example

http://ef.algebra.com/e/330459440392

Some "Hand Crafted" junk is made on a contraption with 10 or more
router spindles, and as many spindles to mount the work. All the work
spindles are geared together, maybe with bicycle chains, and the
(operator/carver/artist) carves one object and gets 9 "copies" at the
same time, more or less the same minus the slack in the chains and
linkages. Like a 3D pantograph, with multiple parts made at once.

Technically it is sort of "Hand Crafted"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 16, 11:02*am, Ignoramus28874 ignoramus28...@NOSPAM.
28874.invalid wrote:
I am just thinking now, knowing what I know now, and wonder if many
things that are sold as "handcrafted" are actually mass produced,
CNCed etc.

Example

http://ef.algebra.com/e/330459440392

Looks to me like burned into the wood with a branding iron, except all
seem to be of the exact same depth. I guess hand crafted could mean
they were clamped into a wood CNC mill by hand?

I had a book on Runes that I gave to a grandson when he was into stuff
like that. Many of the German houses/buildings are framed in Runes.
The book also gives the body positions to simulate Runes.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:29:22 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 8/16/2010 10:02 AM, Ignoramus28874 wrote:

I am just thinking now, knowing what I know now, and wonder if many
things that are sold as "handcrafted" are actually mass produced,
CNCed etc.

"Handcrafted" is probably as abused a term as "Billet"...

Jon

And "aircraft grade". Saw "airport grade" driveway sealer at the borg
yesterday.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:54:25 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

And "aircraft grade". Saw "airport grade" driveway sealer at the borg
yesterday.

Hey Speff,

"the borg"...????? wuzzat???

Brian Lawson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson fired this volley in
:

"the borg"...????? wuzzat???

The "Big Box in the Sky". Lowes, Home Despots, Menard's... etc...

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And "aircraft grade". Saw "airport grade" driveway sealer at the borg
yesterday.

Hey Speff,

"the borg"...????? wuzzat???

"Big Orange Retail Giant" aka Home Despot, and by extension Lowes and
the rest. A play on words also--the slogan of the Borg in Star Trek was
"You will be assimilated".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28874 wrote:

I am just thinking now, knowing what I know now, and wonder if many
things that are sold as "handcrafted" are actually mass produced,
CNCed etc.

Example

http://ef.algebra.com/e/330459440392

There is a good chance those items actually are hand crafted by children
in a third world country making $10/day if they're lucky.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4c69e96a$0$1886
:

$10/day if they're lucky.

A MONTH, Pete.

Little 8-year-old girls die annually in China working on the 2nd or 3rd
story of a fireworks building where the really _dangerous_ stuff is done
on the 1st floor (so the supervisors can get out quickly).

Those kids make roughly $0.90 per DAY (before their "expenses" are
deducted by the supervisor) doing the dirtiest, most dangerous work their
country has to offer.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4c69e96a$0$1886
:

$10/day if they're lucky.

A MONTH, Pete.

Little 8-year-old girls die annually in China working on the 2nd or 3rd
story of a fireworks building where the really _dangerous_ stuff is done
on the 1st floor (so the supervisors can get out quickly).

Those kids make roughly $0.90 per DAY (before their "expenses" are
deducted by the supervisor) doing the dirtiest, most dangerous work their
country has to offer.

LLoyd

We have the misfortune of having an in-law who has relocated to China and
runs a business there. When questioned about how workers are treated & paid,
his reply is that "at least I make sure the supervisors dont beat my
workers". Nice hey.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 8/16/2010 10:02 AM, Ignoramus28874 wrote:

I am just thinking now, knowing what I know now, and wonder if many
things that are sold as "handcrafted" are actually mass produced,
CNCed etc.

"Handcrafted" is probably as abused a term as "Billet"...

Jon

And "aircraft grade". Saw "airport grade" driveway sealer at the borg
yesterday.

And what about "natural" and "heavy duty". These are the most abused.

Example

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-3-Heavy-Duty...-/290464730789

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:02:02 -0500, Ignoramus28874
wrote:

I am just thinking now, knowing what I know now, and wonder if many
things that are sold as "handcrafted" are actually mass produced,
CNCed etc.

Example

http://ef.algebra.com/e/330459440392

They ran a sheet of sandpaper over the CNCed parts, then sprayed them
with a rattle can. Handcrafted!

--
Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 16, 10:01*pm, "Dennis" wrote:
We have the misfortune of having an in-law who has relocated to China and
runs a business there. When questioned about how workers are treated & paid,
his reply is that "at least I make sure the supervisors dont beat my
workers". Nice hey.

Communism, the Workers' Paradise.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28874 on Mon, 16 Aug
2010 13:02:02 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
I am just thinking now, knowing what I know now, and wonder if many
things that are sold as "handcrafted" are actually mass produced,
CNCed etc.

Example

http://ef.algebra.com/e/330459440392

Some could. Having done totally hand crafter stuff, you can't
afford what it cost me. What I'd do for a one off item is different
than for a series. Even if I was going to make them all using hand
tools, there comes a point where some kind of batch processing comes
to mind.

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28874 wrote:
I am just thinking now, knowing what I know now, and wonder if many
things that are sold as "handcrafted" are actually mass produced,
CNCed etc.

Example

http://ef.algebra.com/e/330459440392

From some contacts in the CNC router industry, the Chinese are cranking
out wood routers in HUGE numbers for sale in the far east. India is
too, but in smaller quantities. They both are supplying kits to be
built in the destination country, using a bunch of tricks like a plywood
foundation that you pour full of a cement to make the work table. My
contact said some of these Chinese outfits are delivering up to 3000
machines a MONTH!

Some of this stuff is being used for architectural panels, decorative
railings and trellises, etc. but certainly a lot of thes sorts of items
Iggy mentions could also be done that way.

Jon