Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CNC mill owners, do you make any money from your machines

Do any of you guys who own CNC mills, sell your products online? I am
thinking of something like this: say, I find some part that sells on
ebay and that is easy to make. I would write a program to make it and
then would list that stuff on ebay. I would then only make them when
they are actually purchased so I do not sit on a pile of inventory.

Has anyone tried doing that sort of thing. Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 21, 8:47*am, Ignoramus9140
wrote:
Do any of you guys who own CNC mills, sell your products online? I am
thinking of something like this: say, I find some part that sells on
ebay and that is easy to make. I would write a program to make it and
then would list that stuff on ebay. I would then only make them when
they are actually purchased so I do not sit on a pile of inventory.

Has anyone tried doing that sort of thing. Thanks

I have been wanting to do that with MGB parts but at present have not
bought a CNC mill yet. Allready learned it way too much work for the
buck using manual machines
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Do any of you guys who own CNC mills, sell your products online? I am
thinking of something like this: say, I find some part that sells on
ebay and that is easy to make. I would write a program to make it and
then would list that stuff on ebay. I would then only make them when
they are actually purchased so I do not sit on a pile of inventory.

Has anyone tried doing that sort of thing. Thanks

What about adding the 3D scanner to the system like the one featured
on Jay Leno a while back? That's what I really want to do
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggy,
I think the odds are not in your favor, but this machine will allow you to cut radiuses, arcs, scrolls and do threads, which are
very difficult to do manually. I envy you and I wish you success with your mill. I would love to have an NC mill, but cannot
justify its cost for a hobby.
Steve

"Ignoramus9140" wrote in message ...
Do any of you guys who own CNC mills, sell your products online? I am
thinking of something like this: say, I find some part that sells on
ebay and that is easy to make. I would write a program to make it and
then would list that stuff on ebay. I would then only make them when
they are actually purchased so I do not sit on a pile of inventory.

Has anyone tried doing that sort of thing. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:47:53 -0500, Ignoramus9140
wrote:

Do any of you guys who own CNC mills, sell your products online? I am
thinking of something like this: say, I find some part that sells on
ebay and that is easy to make. I would write a program to make it and
then would list that stuff on ebay. I would then only make them when
they are actually purchased so I do not sit on a pile of inventory.

Has anyone tried doing that sort of thing. Thanks

Here is one of my clients.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK...22063 2543428
http://cgi.ebay.com/10-GM-TRUCK-CAR-.../360056039138?

He makes the antennas on an OmniTurn I sold him. Does a fair small
business. Has one parttime guy running the lathe or packaging.

A lot of the other wiring stuff he has for sale ( a ****load) is simply
drop shipped from a wholesaler.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-21, Steve Lusardi wrote:
Iggy,
I think the odds are not in your favor, but this machine will allow you to cut radiuses, arcs, scrolls and do threads, which are
very difficult to do manually. I envy you and I wish you success with your mill. I would love to have an NC mill, but cannot
justify its cost for a hobby.

So far, my cost is up to $1,628. It is somewhat understated due to use
of consumable materials that I do not count, such as wire and fork
terminals etc, and some things that I bought and did not use. But it
would not make a huge difference. I still have not sold the original
CRT monitor, which would reduce my final cost.

"Ignoramus9140" wrote in message ...
Do any of you guys who own CNC mills, sell your products online? I am
thinking of something like this: say, I find some part that sells on
ebay and that is easy to make. I would write a program to make it and
then would list that stuff on ebay. I would then only make them when
they are actually purchased so I do not sit on a pile of inventory.

Has anyone tried doing that sort of thing. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm not sure what kinds of parts you are looking at, here. Gun parts,
motorcycle parts, truck customizations, or whatever. if these parts are
commercially available, it will be REAL hard to compete with people who
pick up stuff at flea markets and flip it on eBay.

I have some ideas.I am not really obsessed with it, I just want the
mill to pay for itself.

I am sure that I can make more money from my websites than from metal
mangling. I am actually sitting in the Google office in Chicago right
now, in a meeting for select local Adsense publishers. I will have a
one on one optimization session in 50 minutes.

My son does a bit of this. he did A LOT more while he was laid off. He does
fairly obscure stuff like lower A arms out of titanium for racing four
wheelers, all stainless exhaust cooler bypass assembly for Ford diesels. He
also buys broken snowmobiles and four wheelers and parts out on eBay if they
can't be quickly repaired. Now that he's working 7 days a week he's let his
listings expire as he stocks out. He called his time off "enjoyment' as he
was actually taking home more income without a job.

The key would be a niche and something that's not that easily made. The two
examples above involve both welding and machining on difficult materials.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-21, Karl Townsend wrote:
My son does a bit of this. he did A LOT more while he was laid off. He does
fairly obscure stuff like lower A arms out of titanium for racing four
wheelers, all stainless exhaust cooler bypass assembly for Ford diesels. He
also buys broken snowmobiles and four wheelers and parts out on eBay if they
can't be quickly repaired. Now that he's working 7 days a week he's let his
listings expire as he stocks out. He called his time off "enjoyment' as he
was actually taking home more income without a job.

The key would be a niche and something that's not that easily made. The two
examples above involve both welding and machining on difficult materials.

Karl, if your sone was making more $$ doing that sort of stuff, wy did
he decided to go back to a regular job? I am sure that he had good
reasons, etc, I just want to know. I am facing somewhat similar
issues, though of course not with CNC manufacturing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus9140 wrote:

On 2010-07-21, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Usually when they indicate they were "making more money without a job"
means their monthly net was bigger than their monthly pay check, but
they usually neglect the comparison with the items in the "job" pay that
don't appear in the pay check, such as insurance and retirement
contributions.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-21, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

The unemployment would run out, the company that laid him off took him back.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus9140" wrote in message
Do any of you guys who own CNC mills, sell your products online? I am
thinking of something like this: say, I find some part that sells on
ebay and that is easy to make. I would write a program to make it and
then would list that stuff on ebay. I would then only make them when
they are actually purchased so I do not sit on a pile of inventory.

Has anyone tried doing that sort of thing. Thanks

I know of a couple of guys that do nothing but motorcycle parts. They are
pretty well known in that circle so you need to find a "sponsor" in the
cult.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-22, Buerste wrote:

"Ignoramus9140" wrote in message
Do any of you guys who own CNC mills, sell your products online? I am
thinking of something like this: say, I find some part that sells on
ebay and that is easy to make. I would write a program to make it and
then would list that stuff on ebay. I would then only make them when
they are actually purchased so I do not sit on a pile of inventory.

Has anyone tried doing that sort of thing. Thanks

I know of a couple of guys that do nothing but motorcycle parts. They are
pretty well known in that circle so you need to find a "sponsor" in the
cult.

I do not really like motorcycles, but if I did, I would definitely
explore that area.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:45:50 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote the following:

I'm not sure what kinds of parts you are looking at, here. Gun parts,
motorcycle parts, truck customizations, or whatever. if these parts are
commercially available, it will be REAL hard to compete with people who
pick up stuff at flea markets and flip it on eBay.

I have some ideas.I am not really obsessed with it, I just want the
mill to pay for itself.

I am sure that I can make more money from my websites than from metal
mangling. I am actually sitting in the Google office in Chicago right
now, in a meeting for select local Adsense publishers. I will have a
one on one optimization session in 50 minutes.

My son does a bit of this. he did A LOT more while he was laid off. He does
fairly obscure stuff like lower A arms out of titanium for racing four
wheelers, all stainless exhaust cooler bypass assembly for Ford diesels. He

Whassa "exhaust cooler bypass", Karl? Oh, EGR cooler for turbo?

also buys broken snowmobiles and four wheelers and parts out on eBay if they
can't be quickly repaired. Now that he's working 7 days a week he's let his
listings expire as he stocks out. He called his time off "enjoyment' as he
was actually taking home more income without a job.

Why the hell did he go back to "work"? Keep up a special insurance
policy? And why is he working 7 days a week for less?!? Workaholic?

The key would be a niche and something that's not that easily made. The two
examples above involve both welding and machining on difficult materials.

Cool.

--
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels,
throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions,
with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 21, 10:08*pm, "Buerste" wrote:
I know of a couple of guys that do nothing but motorcycle parts. *They are
pretty well known in that circle so you need to find a "sponsor" in the
cult.

The parts that wear or break are usually highly stressed, heat-
treated, and may need custom tooling like spline cutters.

I was thinking specifically of the starter shaft for a custom Harley
that would have taken me days to copy. However the bike has quite a
few low stress sculptured parts, if you have artistic abilities.

jsw