Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default CNC mill owners, do you make any money from your machines

On 2010-07-21, Karl Townsend wrote:
My son does a bit of this. he did A LOT more while he was laid off. He does
fairly obscure stuff like lower A arms out of titanium for racing four
wheelers, all stainless exhaust cooler bypass assembly for Ford diesels. He
also buys broken snowmobiles and four wheelers and parts out on eBay if they
can't be quickly repaired. Now that he's working 7 days a week he's let his
listings expire as he stocks out. He called his time off "enjoyment' as he
was actually taking home more income without a job.

The key would be a niche and something that's not that easily made. The two
examples above involve both welding and machining on difficult materials.

Karl, if your sone was making more $$ doing that sort of stuff, wy did
he decided to go back to a regular job? I am sure that he had good
reasons, etc, I just want to know. I am facing somewhat similar
issues, though of course not with CNC manufacturing.

Usually when they indicate they were "making more money without a job"
means their monthly net was bigger than their monthly pay check, but
they usually neglect the comparison with the items in the "job" pay that
don't appear in the pay check, such as insurance and retirement
contributions.