Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default CNC mill owners, do you make any money from your machines

I'm not sure what kinds of parts you are looking at, here. Gun parts,
motorcycle parts, truck customizations, or whatever. if these parts are
commercially available, it will be REAL hard to compete with people who
pick up stuff at flea markets and flip it on eBay.

I have some ideas.I am not really obsessed with it, I just want the
mill to pay for itself.

I am sure that I can make more money from my websites than from metal
mangling. I am actually sitting in the Google office in Chicago right
now, in a meeting for select local Adsense publishers. I will have a
one on one optimization session in 50 minutes.

My son does a bit of this. he did A LOT more while he was laid off. He does
fairly obscure stuff like lower A arms out of titanium for racing four
wheelers, all stainless exhaust cooler bypass assembly for Ford diesels. He
also buys broken snowmobiles and four wheelers and parts out on eBay if they
can't be quickly repaired. Now that he's working 7 days a week he's let his
listings expire as he stocks out. He called his time off "enjoyment' as he
was actually taking home more income without a job.

The key would be a niche and something that's not that easily made. The two
examples above involve both welding and machining on difficult materials.

karl