Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default buy a Mig welder

My Century Mig welder don't work right no more. There's an industrial online
auction nearby with several offers. A sampling is listed below. Could you
folks help me pick two or three to bid on? I don't want to hook up 3 phase
to weld, will any of the welders in group 1. run on single phase?
Any of these especially good for AL?

1. three phase welders

Miller model CP-300 Mig Welder, constant voltage DC arc welding power
source, serial #JH318213, 230/460V, 33/16.5 amps, 3 phase, 300 amp output,
100% duty cycle. Millermatic S-52D, 115V wire feed, serial #JE827842.
Includes partial spool of .030 wire. Cart mounted.

Miller CP-200 Mig Welder, serial #JE761708, 100% duty cycle. Millermatic
S-52A 115V constant speed wire feeder, serial #KA883413. Cart mounted,
includes spool of .035 wire.

Miller model CP-2VS Mig Welder, constant potential DC Welder continuously
variable slope, serial #U474120, 230/460V, 21/10.5 amps, 3 phase, 100% duty
cycle, 200 amp rated output. Millermatic 10A wire feed. Cart mounted.

2. 3 and 1 phase units. These two look to be going higher:

Miller Maxtron 450 CC/CV DC inverter Arc Welder, serial #KE561030, 230/460V,
phase 1 & 3, 450 amps rated output, 100% duty cycle Miller SR Control
extended reach wire feeder, serial #LC705426.

Miller SMT 304 CC/CV Arc Welder, 300 amp rated output 60% duty cycle with
Miller XR Control Extended Reach Wire Feeder on Bernard Teta Boom and cart,
59" x 67" x 95". Bring help and equipment for safe removal.

3. 3 phase power units. This one is real cheap, no wire feeder.(I have one
on a shelf)

Miller Deltaweld 451, constant voltage, DC arc welding power source, serial
#KK888649, 230/460V, 70/35 amps, 3 phase, 450 amps rated output, 100% duty
cycle

P.S. Many large lots of steel at this auction tht I'm sure will go cheap.
I've got too much. If anybody in MN wants a deal go to k-bid.com

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

304 cc/cv with xr wirefeed will give you a lot of options. stick, mig
etc and portable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-06, Ignoramus22249 wrote:
304 cc/cv with xr wirefeed will give you a lot of options. stick, mig
etc and portable.

It will also probably fetch good money. I had a 300 CC/CV twice (bought
for resale) and I was VERY impressed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-06, Ignoramus22249 wrote:
304 cc/cv with xr wirefeed will give you a lot of options. stick, mig
etc and portable.

It will also probably fetch good money. I had a 300 CC/CV twice (bought
for resale) and I was VERY impressed.

you spotted the one that's going too high for my taste. (I'm a cheap skate)

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
P.S. Many large lots of steel at this auction tht I'm sure will go cheap.
I've got too much. If anybody in MN wants a deal go to k-bid.com

"I've got too much." You think? BG

That would be this auction, I'd say:
http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mndetails.cgi?klosteria222

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-06, Ignoramus22249 wrote:
304 cc/cv with xr wirefeed will give you a lot of options. stick, mig
etc and portable.

It will also probably fetch good money. I had a 300 CC/CV twice (bought
for resale) and I was VERY impressed.

you spotted the one that's going too high for my taste. (I'm a cheap skate)

304's are also not as reliable as 300's, according to some things that
I read. (but they are usually a lot newer).

I would personally say, all of the other welders are good. Place low
bids on all of them, win some, sell some, keep the best one.

Though I have a MIG welder (Millermatic 251) I remain a stick guy at
heart. I might even sell the 251.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Karl Townsend wrote:
P.S. Many large lots of steel at this auction tht I'm sure will go cheap.
I've got too much. If anybody in MN wants a deal go to k-bid.com

"I've got too much." You think? BG

That would be this auction, I'd say:
http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mndetails.cgi?klosteria222

Bob

That's the one. its about 2 miles from my son's house. I can't help myself,
I'm bidding on two or three lots of steel. I had to go pay full price for
some last year. Don't want to do that again.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 08:41:15 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

[...]

If you dont get what you want, Ive got a very very NICE Airco PhaseArc
350 Mig, (3ph)..300 amp out, with a nearly new Tweeco #4 gun on it that
Id sell to someone for...hummm to this group only..$800.

Thing looks nearly new and runs wire very very well. On a cart of
course.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 12:09:02 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
P.S. Many large lots of steel at this auction tht I'm sure will go cheap.
I've got too much. If anybody in MN wants a deal go to k-bid.com

"I've got too much." You think? BG

That would be this auction, I'd say:
http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mndetails.cgi?klosteria222

Bob

This would be nice..but its gonna go high probabl y

http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?klosteria222/66

Good TIG welder. Ive had and sold a number of them, and they work nicely

http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?klosteria222/76

Very nice lathe. Just like mine

http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?klosteria222/78

Grinding welding tables..rather nice actually
http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?klosteria222/94
http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?klosteria222/95

Keep an eye on this..it may go for nearly nothing
http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist....osteria222/116

And this one G

http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist....osteria222/125

Interesting!
http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist....osteria222/151

I wonder how much this will ultimately go for..along with the other
mills?

http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist....osteria222/164

nice bandsaw!
http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist....osteria222/167

Some interesting stuff on a table
http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist....teria222/335/2

Some interesting cabinets...
http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist....teria222/335/2
http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist....teria222/335/2

Nice! Dollies
http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist....osteria222/367

Some interesting stuff...too bad Im not there, and broke.

Shrug

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cost a lot to get 3 phase for a welder. Probably not able to use a
converter. I have a Lincoln 180C. Came with a spool gun for aluminum, and
works well on up to maybe 5/16 thick. thicker you have to torch heat the
chunk to get decent welds. Does nice wire feed. I have only used flux core
in it, but looking to add another bottle(s) for welding stainless and carbon
steel. 220v single phase. Cost was about $1100 with a new empty bottle.
Probably cheaper now. Indiana Oxygen was the seller. Free shipping.

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-06, Califbill wrote:
Cost a lot to get 3 phase for a welder. Probably not able to use a
converter.

Three phase welders and plasma cutters run great on phase converters.

I have a Lincoln 180C. Came with a spool gun for aluminum, and

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
My Century Mig welder don't work right no more. There's an industrial
online auction nearby with several offers. A sampling is listed below.
Could you folks help me pick two or three to bid on? I don't want to hook
up 3 phase to weld, will any of the welders in group 1. run on single
phase?
Any of these especially good for AL?

snip

My Dayton 230 amp (Century) has had fan motors fail, feed potentiometers
fail and the gun had to be replaced. BUT, I can still get all the parts for
it and it has performed flawlessly for 20 years, except when it was broken.
Can't you repair the Century to do the same? It you have a little
one...never mind!

What's the problem?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
My Century Mig welder don't work right no more. There's an industrial
online auction nearby with several offers. A sampling is listed below.
Could you folks help me pick two or three to bid on? I don't want to hook
up 3 phase to weld, will any of the welders in group 1. run on single
phase?
Any of these especially good for AL?

snip

My Dayton 230 amp (Century) has had fan motors fail, feed potentiometers
fail and the gun had to be replaced. BUT, I can still get all the parts
for it and it has performed flawlessly for 20 years, except when it was
broken. Can't you repair the Century to do the same? It you have a little
one...never mind!

What's the problem?

Its a little homeowner grade (S@#t). The wire feed gets bucky at
unpredicatable times. Just enough to keep the arc length constantly changing
on ya. Replace everything and it works a while, then when you really need it
and don't have time to fart around, it screws up again.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Some interesting stuff...too bad Im not there, and broke.

Shrug

Gunner

I put in bids on a couple things you found. I'm going there tommorrow. I've
got to stay away from the machines cause I've already got two shops full,
but they go for way less than I paid over the years. I'll buy one small
cheap one for "the kid's" birthday.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-06, Karl Townsend wrote:
Some interesting stuff...too bad Im not there, and broke.

Shrug

Gunner

I put in bids on a couple things you found. I'm going there tommorrow. I've
got to stay away from the machines cause I've already got two shops full,
but they go for way less than I paid over the years. I'll buy one small
cheap one for "the kid's" birthday.

Do you know anyone who would be interested in getting paid for putting
that Hypertherm plasma cutter on a pallet and shipping it to me? And
maybe something else small from that auction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-06, Karl Townsend wrote:
Some interesting stuff...too bad Im not there, and broke.

Shrug

Gunner

I put in bids on a couple things you found. I'm going there tommorrow.
I've
got to stay away from the machines cause I've already got two shops full,
but they go for way less than I paid over the years. I'll buy one small
cheap one for "the kid's" birthday.

Do you know anyone who would be interested in getting paid for putting
that Hypertherm plasma cutter on a pallet and shipping it to me? And
maybe something else small from that auction.

"the kid" is full of energy and broke. he lives less than two miles from the
site. And he's stealing my truck and 20,000# trailer next week.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 16:28:11 -0500, Ignoramus22249

On 2010-06-06, Califbill wrote:
Cost a lot to get 3 phase for a welder. Probably not able to use a
converter.

Three phase welders and plasma cutters run great on phase converters.

Big phase converters.......

I have a Lincoln 180C. Came with a spool gun for aluminum, and

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-06, Califbill wrote:
Cost a lot to get 3 phase for a welder. Probably not able to use a
converter.

Three phase welders and plasma cutters run great on phase converters.

Big phase converters.......

Yeah, like my 17.5 HP phase converter (10 and 7.5 HP idlers).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

[...]

I understand! The little guys are a PITA but the bigger boys are OK. GL!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 04:30:10 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
tanews.com...

"Buerste" wrote in message

[...]

I had to change the roll up door track on my shop bay door recently. So
I dragged out my little Lincoln Weldpak 100 for the job. 110vts, has
been absolutel trouble free for years. Im in a hurry, need to go down to
LA for a service call. So I fire up the welder..and it welds for a
couple seconds..then quits.

Spool tension had backed off..the spool had unrolled about half of
itself inside the case, then jammed, burned out the liner, the short
piece of liner from the roller to the main liner and unrolled about 300
feet of flux core inside the machine. Damnit I hate it when that
happens. I had to pull a long extension cord, fire up the 220volt
DanMig, roll it from the welding area etc etc..took damned near an hour
to get it all ready..3 minutes to do the welding. Took another hour and
a half when I got back from LA to put everything back in place, and
another hour or two to modify a spare liner to fit, clean out the short
roller liner and get the Weldpac back in operation again.

All for a 3 minute welding job...sigh.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Yabbut, think how bad you'd feel if you had to call a welder out for
that 3 minute weld. Count your blessings that A) You could do the
weld yourself, B) You own welders, and C) that you know how to and
have the parts to repair your own schtuff!

Yeah, it's a PITA, but it beats the alternatives.

--
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what
to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Oh but of course!

Thats why I hang around here and Learn Stuff. Tools I got...perhaps far
far too many of them.

Course..if I didnt have tools..Id not have needed the roll up door in
the first place.....

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Mon, 07 Jun 2010 04:38:26 -0700

[...]

So... Like computers, there is no such thing as a "quick fix"?

Or a short beer?

Or a quick trip to the store ...
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:42:00 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Or buying only one thing at the store...

I think you have formed the data for a Good Scientific Saying!

Work on it, Ill help if needed and then present it here.

Similar to these..
http://www.basicjokes.com/dquotes.php?cid=16

Perhaps the world...is indeed ready for Pyotr's First Law of Welding
Dynamics (or something equally appropriate)

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-06, Califbill wrote:
Cost a lot to get 3 phase for a welder. Probably not able to use a
converter.

Three phase welders and plasma cutters run great on phase converters.

I have a Lincoln 180C. Came with a spool gun for aluminum, and

But at what cost? Low effiency and large converters?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You're the welder. "There ain' no such thing as a free lunch, a
short beer, or a quick welding job."

Sometimes the simplest instructions lead to the longest work. Fix
the car. Clean the garage. Weld a bracket onto the trailer.
And sometimes the longer the instruction, the simpler the job.
"Clean up these two plate edges, then butt weld them together, Use
the Mig Welder an the #32 Johnson rod to do it, set to high." 'zip
buzz, done!"

--
pyotr filipivich

There ARE quick welding jobs. They are just not common.

A good weld is any weld that holds for a long time, even "gorilla welds".
There is a hundred ways to cook poodle, but it all tastes like chicken.
Sometimes you have to just make what you have work.

Steve

Visit my site at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

All errors, brain farts, misspelled words intentional because this computer
is set to Spelchek French, and I can't get it to do any different.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Yeah, it's a PITA, but it beats the alternatives.

--
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what
to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
-- George S. Patton

My alternative would have been to use 3/32" 6011, stinger negative, run
downhill.

And I'd bet I'd be finished before Gunner had his welder running.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 22:21:58 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Yeah, it's a PITA, but it beats the alternatives.

--
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what
to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
-- George S. Patton

My alternative would have been to use 3/32" 6011, stinger negative, run
downhill.

And I'd bet I'd be finished before Gunner had his welder running.

Steve

Which welder?

Now granted you are a pro welder, but Im not all that shabby for an
amature..and Ive got 3 welders already plugged in under the welding
bench....

Miller Dialarc 250/stick, DanMig 150/mig, and the Airco 300
Squarewave/tig/stick

And Id have run either wire, or 3/32 6011, run downhill, at about 65
amps

Now if it were away from the welding shop....I could use the 1943 Hobart
300 amp DC stick, the Ranger 9, (mig/stick/tig) or the little Lincoln
Weldpack 100, 110vt mig.

The Miller 35 with the Cobra Husky wire feeder on it would not have
worked...shrug..Its got a 12" spool of 4043 on it and the Miller 35 with
the steel wire in it..is down in LA in my buddies shop, along with the
Esab 250 SquareWave stick/tig

But..its true, you likely would have finished before I did, and the
resulting bead would have been w work of art.

Im just a dauber and you are a pro.

Tipping my hat to you!!

Gunner, who was welding Unistrut conduit supports all over the framework
inside of a Butler building today with the little Weldpac 100, while
balanced on the forks of a forklift run by my wife. With no injuries!!
Well..not counting that hot blob that went down the front of my shirt
and took up residence in my belly button.....Crom but I hate
fluxcore.....

Gunner

Gunner Asch