Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default buy a Mig welder

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:42:00 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Mon, 07 Jun 2010 04:38:26 -0700

Its a little homeowner grade (S@#t). The wire feed gets bucky at
unpredicatable times. Just enough to keep the arc length constantly
changing on ya. Replace everything and it works a while, then when you
really need it and don't have time to fart around, it screws up again.

Karl

I understand! The little guys are a PITA but the bigger boys are OK. GL!

I had to change the roll up door track on my shop bay door recently. So
I dragged out my little Lincoln Weldpak 100 for the job. 110vts, has
been absolutel trouble free for years. Im in a hurry, need to go down to
LA for a service call. So I fire up the welder..and it welds for a
couple seconds..then quits.

Spool tension had backed off..the spool had unrolled about half of
itself inside the case, then jammed, burned out the liner, the short
piece of liner from the roller to the main liner and unrolled about 300
feet of flux core inside the machine. Damnit I hate it when that
happens. I had to pull a long extension cord, fire up the 220volt
DanMig, roll it from the welding area etc etc..took damned near an hour
to get it all ready..3 minutes to do the welding. Took another hour and
a half when I got back from LA to put everything back in place, and
another hour or two to modify a spare liner to fit, clean out the short
roller liner and get the Weldpac back in operation again.

All for a 3 minute welding job...sigh.

So... Like computers, there is no such thing as a "quick fix"?

Or a short beer?

Or a quick trip to the store ...

Or buying only one thing at the store...

I think you have formed the data for a Good Scientific Saying!

Work on it, Ill help if needed and then present it here.

Similar to these..
http://www.basicjokes.com/dquotes.php?cid=16

Perhaps the world...is indeed ready for Pyotr's First Law of Welding
Dynamics (or something equally appropriate)

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.