Old May 28th 10, 05:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do not buy a Harbor Freight "rock tumbler"

On Thu, 27 May 2010 21:02:38 -0500, Ignoramus12281
wrote:

But thanks for the links. That Nova 501HT looks a serious
machine. BTW is this where you get your media from? $1.50 +/- per lb
of ceramics is very good. I wonder if they ship to Canada...

I got the media on the cart with the machine at the factory that went
bankrupt. Two half full buckets and a box of ceramic media of various
coarseness, and this vibratory tumbler. I also have some corn cob
media (way too much; anyone wants some cheap?). I was going to polish
a big jar's worth of pennies with the kids this weekend.

Pennies? Then your corncob media is what you want to use. Ceramic
media will give you either badly beaten up but very shiney pennies..or
copper disks with barely visible features on it.

Frankly..Id use crushed walnut hulls for the job, with a teaspoon of
Brasso tossed into the batch..and checked REGULARLY.

Gunner, who cleans firearms brass in a vibratory cleaner about 2' in
diameter....with walnut hulls

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Old May 28th 10, 06:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

JR North wrote:

What exactly broke? BTW, want a real HF POS-get the 5.00 potato
french fry maker. Lasted exactly one potato.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Why are you bitching?

You got exactly what it said.

POTATO french fry maker

Not POTATOES

jk
Old May 28th 10, 11:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-28, Michael Koblic wrote:

snip
I got the media on the cart with the machine at the factory that went
bankrupt. Two half full buckets and a box of ceramic media of various
coarseness, and this vibratory tumbler. I also have some corn cob
media (way too much; anyone wants some cheap?). I was going to polish
a big jar's worth of pennies with the kids this weekend.

I use aquarium gravel to clean my metal detector finds coins that I want to
spend, they look at you funny when you give them brown quarters, dimes, &
nickels!

RogerN

Old May 28th 10, 03:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

But thanks for the links. That Nova 501HT looks a serious
machine. BTW is this where you get your media from? $1.50 +/- per lb
of ceramics is very good. I wonder if they ship to Canada...

I got the media on the cart with the machine at the factory that went
bankrupt. Two half full buckets and a box of ceramic media of various
coarseness, and this vibratory tumbler. I also have some corn cob
media (way too much; anyone wants some cheap?). I was going to polish
a big jar's worth of pennies with the kids this weekend.

Pennies? Then your corncob media is what you want to use. Ceramic
media will give you either badly beaten up but very shiney
pennies..or copper disks with barely visible features on it.

I think that ceramic media would simply grind the pennies to dust.

I have maybe 5 lbs of pennies, it should be fun polishing them.

Frankly..Id use crushed walnut hulls for the job, with a teaspoon of
Brasso tossed into the batch..and checked REGULARLY.

I will see, I think that I will give then an hour with fine corn cob
media.

Gunner, who cleans firearms brass in a vibratory cleaner about 2' in
diameter....with walnut hulls

That's huge! Mine is only 17 inches in diameter.

Old May 28th 10, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-28, Michael Koblic wrote:

snip
I got the media on the cart with the machine at the factory that went
bankrupt. Two half full buckets and a box of ceramic media of various
coarseness, and this vibratory tumbler. I also have some corn cob
media (way too much; anyone wants some cheap?). I was going to polish
a big jar's worth of pennies with the kids this weekend.

I use aquarium gravel to clean my metal detector finds coins that I want to
spend, they look at you funny when you give them brown quarters, dimes, &
nickels!

Do you get any bad silica dust from it?

Old May 29th 10, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-28, Michael Koblic wrote:

snip
I got the media on the cart with the machine at the factory that went
bankrupt. Two half full buckets and a box of ceramic media of various
coarseness, and this vibratory tumbler. I also have some corn cob
media (way too much; anyone wants some cheap?). I was going to polish
a big jar's worth of pennies with the kids this weekend.

I use aquarium gravel to clean my metal detector finds coins that I want
spend, they look at you funny when you give them brown quarters, dimes, &
nickels!

Do you get any bad silica dust from it?

I don't know, there was water in it too. No dust, just bubbles.

RogerN

Old May 29th 10, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus12281" wrote in message

[...]

But thanks for the links. That Nova 501HT looks a serious
machine. BTW is this where you get your media from? $1.50 +/- per lb
of ceramics is very good. I wonder if they ship to Canada...

I got the media on the cart with the machine at the factory that went
bankrupt. Two half full buckets and a box of ceramic media of various
coarseness, and this vibratory tumbler. I also have some corn cob
media (way too much; anyone wants some cheap?). I was going to polish
a big jar's worth of pennies with the kids this weekend.

Lucky man.

I got my corncob from the pet store for $6/ 1.8 kg. Enough to fill the bowl
and have a lot left over. I run some brass in it but it has limitations.
Right now I have a batch going in rouge-treated walnut shells. Somebody
mentioned adding Brasso - I wonder how much per batch.

As I said I tried a silica crystals cat litter on some steel parts. The
results were surprisingly good but if run dry, the silica dust is awful and
if wet, clumping occurs (duh, it's cat litter!)

I want the ceramics for steel parts and also plastics for de-burring brass -
I am not sure the nut shells will do that job well.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Old May 29th 10, 01:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

There is more than one reason Im called Gunner...shrug

Gunner

Old May 29th 10, 01:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 May 2010 17:39:45 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

"Ignoramus12281" wrote in message
m...

[...]

But thanks for the links. That Nova 501HT looks a serious
machine. BTW is this where you get your media from? $1.50 +/- per lb
of ceramics is very good. I wonder if they ship to Canada...

I got the media on the cart with the machine at the factory that went
bankrupt. Two half full buckets and a box of ceramic media of various
coarseness, and this vibratory tumbler. I also have some corn cob
media (way too much; anyone wants some cheap?). I was going to polish
a big jar's worth of pennies with the kids this weekend.

Lucky man.

I got my corncob from the pet store for $6/ 1.8 kg. Enough to fill the bowl
and have a lot left over. I run some brass in it but it has limitations.
Right now I have a batch going in rouge-treated walnut shells. Somebody
mentioned adding Brasso - I wonder how much per batch.

Try a tablespoon full. It spreads rather well and is simply a media
compound that is carried by your media.

As I said I tried a silica crystals cat litter on some steel parts. The
results were surprisingly good but if run dry, the silica dust is awful and
if wet, clumping occurs (duh, it's cat litter!)

I want the ceramics for steel parts and also plastics for de-burring brass -
I am not sure the nut shells will do that job well.

Yes..they do a pretty fair job, though for steel, it takes a while. Soft
non ferris stuff goes pretty quick

Gunner

Old May 30th 10, 01:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

[...]

I got my corncob from the pet store for $6/ 1.8 kg. Enough to fill the
bowl
and have a lot left over. I run some brass in it but it has limitations.
Right now I have a batch going in rouge-treated walnut shells. Somebody
mentioned adding Brasso - I wonder how much per batch.

Try a tablespoon full. It spreads rather well and is simply a media
compound that is carried by your media.

Thanks. What do you do when you finish? Do you re-use the same media?

As I said I tried a silica crystals cat litter on some steel parts. The
results were surprisingly good but if run dry, the silica dust is awful
and
if wet, clumping occurs (duh, it's cat litter!)

I want the ceramics for steel parts and also plastics for de-burring
brass -
I am not sure the nut shells will do that job well.

Yes..they do a pretty fair job, though for steel, it takes a while. Soft
non ferris stuff goes pretty quick

So far I am more impressed with the nut shells than with the corn cob. As
far as I can see the corn cob will polish clean brass but will not remove
stains. The treated nut shells removed most but not all the stains, did a
great job polishing the pieces (up to 3") but did little or no deburring
(minor scratches still apparent after about 8 hours).

The next batch I shall put some steel in the nut shells. What compound do
you use for steel? There is a ton of proprietary compounds out there. I hear
some people just put in a bit of turtle wax. I run the silica with just
water and dish- washing liquid with the predictable result of good cleaning
but flash rusting. I wonder if dumping in a bit of Evaporust would work.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC