Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do not buy a Harbor Freight "rock tumbler"

On Sun, 30 May 2010 21:21:25 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote in
:

On Sun, 30 May 2010 13:06:09 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 30 May 2010 13:31:38 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Sun, 30 May 2010 11:19:11 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 30 May 2010 09:29:59 -0500, Ignoramus28053

On 2010-05-30, Gunner Asch wrote:
What kind of Brasso are you guys talking about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

OK, more exactly, do you use liquid brasso or some kind of
powder? I have the liquid brasso at home.

The liquid. Simply fill up a tablespoon with the stuff..maybe
two..and dump it into the media if its walnut hulls, corn cobs
etc etc.

I am running it with Brasso now... thanks for a great tip...

Give it a couple hours at the least. Its a very fine abrasive, but
it works pretty damned well.

Gunner

Brasso also has ammonia in it, which is the active ingredient in a
lot of copper fouling bore cleaners. However, it's only at 2-3% You
can google the msds. I've used exactly the same thing, Brasso on
walnut hulls, for a long time for brass for reloading. I now have
some stuff from Dillon.

Pete Keillor

What did you get and how does it work?

Gunner

Just their Rapid Polish 290, still in my 30 yr. old Thumler's Tumbler.
It works at least as good as Brasso, doesn't have the ammonia. They
claim it doesn't weaken the brass like Brasso, but I had very few case
failures loading .357 brass over and over for years using Brasso. I
lost my 50 lb. bag of walnut hulls in a move, so I'm using some Lyman
media right now.

You can get walnut hull media on the cheap at pet stores. It's called
"lizard bedding".

I'm tired of having to fish media out of flash holes, and am thinking
about going to ultrasonic. I have a medium sized Branson cleaner (3/4
gal), and there are a number of home brew cleaning solutions on the web.
Hornady is now selling both a cleaner & a solution to use with it. Their
cleaner is just a re-labeled Gemoro, which you can buy cheaper elsewhere.

Check out:

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Doug White

Doug White

Thanks Doug...interesting indeed. Last ultrasonic of a size I could
use, was pretty damned expensive, even used, so Ive not investigated
them in years.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate