Old May 27th 10, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do not buy a Harbor Freight "rock tumbler"

Ignoramus12281 wrote:

The mechanism is straightforward, but it is not as easy to make a
rubber barrel.

Sections of a truck inner-tube?

Jon

Old May 27th 10, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-27, Michael Koblic wrote:

"Ignoramus5816" wrote in message
Unless you want it to break after 3 weeks, that is. What a POS. I
bought it to show what rock tubling is, to my kids. I sort of knew
that it is junk, and bought an extended warranty, but all it give me
is the right to get another POS.

I went through the usual labour pains before I decided on mine. Rather than
going the cheap way I splashed out on Thumler's UV10 (Industrial) and so far
I have not regretted it.
BTW do not use cat litter silica crystals wet...or dry for that matter (the
dust is awful).

That is a vibratory tumbler, and mine was a rotary.

I actually do have a vibratory tumbler, called Nova 501HT (see
novafinishing.com). It is not as good for rounding rocks,
however. Otherwise it is great.

http://www.novafinishing.com/products.html
http://www.novafinishing.com/prices.html

Old May 27th 10, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Ignoramus12281 wrote:

The mechanism is straightforward, but it is not as easy to make a
rubber barrel.

Sections of a truck inner-tube?

Jon

No, A whole tire!
http://www.acc.umu.se/~widmark/lwtrumle.html

http://www.acc.umu.se/~widmark/lwtrumld.html

Steve

Old May 27th 10, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12281 wrote:

The mechanism is straightforward, but it is not as easy to make a
rubber barrel.

Sections of a truck inner-tube?

Jon

No, A whole tire!
http://www.acc.umu.se/~widmark/lwtrumle.html

http://www.acc.umu.se/~widmark/lwtrumld.html

It looks cute in a redneck kind of way, but in actuality it is very
inconvenient and the tire wears out.

Old May 27th 10, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

No, A whole tire!
http://www.acc.umu.se/~widmark/lwtrumle.html

http://www.acc.umu.se/~widmark/lwtrumld.html

It looks cute in a redneck kind of way, but in actuality it is very
inconvenient and the tire wears out.

When I was working in the sand and gravel business a salesman gave me a
sample of a urethane sheet that had an adhesive back on it. The product was
available in different durometer ratings and thickness'. Once applied to a
piece of steel it was extremely difficult to break the bond between the two.
I don't recall the manufacturer of the product. It seems like the ideal
thing to line a barrel with.
Steve

Old May 27th 10, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-27, Up North wrote:
When I was working in the sand and gravel business a salesman gave me a
sample of a urethane sheet that had an adhesive back on it. The product was
available in different durometer ratings and thickness'. Once applied to a
piece of steel it was extremely difficult to break the bond between the two.
I don't recall the manufacturer of the product. It seems like the ideal
thing to line a barrel with.

Yes, that would be cool.

Anyway, I actually do have a 1/3 HP "real" tumbler from an old dirty
factory, it is just a bit too big. I wanted to have a little tumbler
that would be more friendly to my kids.

Old May 27th 10, 08:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12281 wrote:

The mechanism is straightforward, but it is not as easy to make a
rubber barrel.

Sections of a truck inner-tube?

Jon

No, A whole tire!
http://www.acc.umu.se/~widmark/lwtrumle.html

http://www.acc.umu.se/~widmark/lwtrumld.html

It looks cute in a redneck kind of way, but in actuality it is very
inconvenient and the tire wears out.

Barrels of rock tumblers ALWAYS wear out. Particularly with 50 lbs rock
in them.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Old May 28th 10, 12:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

McMaster Carr sells the rubber barrels for the Thumler's Tumbler, in 2
different sizes.

RogerN

On 2010-05-27, Buerste wrote:

"Ignoramus5816" wrote in message
Unless you want it to break after 3 weeks, that is. What a POS. I
bought it to show what rock tubling is, to my kids. I sort of knew
that it is junk, and bought an extended warranty, but all it give me
is the right to get another POS.

I can't believe you bought one when you could have cobbled something
together in half an hour from your junk pile.

Old May 28th 10, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-27, Michael Koblic wrote:

[...]

Ah. Several people sent me links to the HF vibratory tumbler. I did not know
they did the rotary ones too.

But thanks for the links. That Nova 501HT looks a serious machine. BTW is
this where you get your media from? $1.50 +/- per lb of ceramics is very
good. I wonder if they ship to Canada...

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Old May 28th 10, 04:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-27, Michael Koblic wrote:

[...]

Well, if only in name.

But thanks for the links. That Nova 501HT looks a serious
machine. BTW is this where you get your media from? $1.50 +/- per lb
of ceramics is very good. I wonder if they ship to Canada...

I got the media on the cart with the machine at the factory that went
bankrupt. Two half full buckets and a box of ceramic media of various
coarseness, and this vibratory tumbler. I also have some corn cob
media (way too much; anyone wants some cheap?). I was going to polish
a big jar's worth of pennies with the kids this weekend.