Old May 27th 10, 12:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do not buy a Harbor Freight "rock tumbler"

Unless you want it to break after 3 weeks, that is. What a POS. I
bought it to show what rock tubling is, to my kids. I sort of knew
that it is junk, and bought an extended warranty, but all it give me
is the right to get another POS.

Old May 27th 10, 02:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus5816" wrote in message
Unless you want it to break after 3 weeks, that is. What a POS. I
bought it to show what rock tubling is, to my kids. I sort of knew
that it is junk, and bought an extended warranty, but all it give me
is the right to get another POS.

I went through the usual labour pains before I decided on mine. Rather than
going the cheap way I splashed out on Thumler's UV10 (Industrial) and so far
I have not regretted it.
BTW do not use cat litter silica crystals wet...or dry for that matter (the
dust is awful).

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Old May 27th 10, 04:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 May 2010 17:27:26 -0500, Ignoramus5816
wrote:

Unless you want it to break after 3 weeks, that is. What a POS. I
bought it to show what rock tubling is, to my kids. I sort of knew
that it is junk, and bought an extended warranty, but all it give me
is the right to get another POS.

Take them out to where the water is. Took mine just on a side trip and
there are all kinds of colored volcanic glass in Escanaba Mi.

Lost me Ig. You had a mill stuck in a corner with your lyon tool box
and then getting a bigger mill, but you buy a broken china rock ...

Extended warranty! You can reach little no neck monsters from Ill.?
No more MIG fighters? Or AK's?

SW
Old May 27th 10, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:

"Ignoramus5816" wrote in message
Unless you want it to break after 3 weeks, that is. What a POS. I
bought it to show what rock tubling is, to my kids. I sort of knew
that it is junk, and bought an extended warranty, but all it give me
is the right to get another POS.

I went through the usual labour pains before I decided on mine. Rather
than going the cheap way I splashed out on Thumler's UV10 (Industrial)
and so far I have not regretted it.
BTW do not use cat litter silica crystals wet...or dry for that matter
(the dust is awful).

I just chuck a plastic container in my lathe that has a couple of wood
slats mounted on the inside of it and run it at the slowest speed. I
use the tailstock to hold the lid on. It also works great for deburring
parts.

John
Old May 27th 10, 04:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

isn't this a metal working group? to make a rock tumbler all you need is an
old BBQ motor, a couple of steel bars that you cover with tight fitting
flexible hose, and some bracketry to hold the mess - direct drive one of the
rods with the BBQ motor. use any plastic jar for the tumbling jar.

Old May 27th 10, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" fired this volley in
:

isn't this a metal working group? to make a rock tumbler all you need
is an old BBQ motor, a couple of steel bars that you cover with tight
fitting flexible hose, and some bracketry to hold the mess - direct
drive one of the rods with the BBQ motor. use any plastic jar for the
tumbling jar.

Right. Read something on Ball Milling. There's something more to it
than what Horrible Fright might tell... and it doesn't take two weeks to
"tumble" a bunch of dull, worthless rocks into shiny, worthless rocks --
It takes about 24-36 hours in an optimized mill. In fact, it takes about
the same time to change loads and wash between grit charges as it does to
do the actual grinding. If you wanted to do the whole job in three days,
you'd be working after midnight two of them.

LLoyd (who _actually_ wrote the book on the subject)
Old May 27th 10, 06:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-27, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

Lloyd, I am intrigued, what is that book?

Old May 27th 10, 08:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5816 writes:

Lloyd, I am intrigued, what is that book?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00229ZI7W

*The* book that transformed the hobby (and industry) of pyrotechnics.
Old May 27th 10, 11:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus5816" wrote in message
Unless you want it to break after 3 weeks, that is. What a POS. I
bought it to show what rock tubling is, to my kids. I sort of knew
that it is junk, and bought an extended warranty, but all it give me
is the right to get another POS.

I can't believe you bought one when you could have cobbled something
together in half an hour from your junk pile.

Old May 27th 10, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-27, Buerste wrote:

"Ignoramus5816" wrote in message
Unless you want it to break after 3 weeks, that is. What a POS. I
bought it to show what rock tubling is, to my kids. I sort of knew
that it is junk, and bought an extended warranty, but all it give me
is the right to get another POS.

I can't believe you bought one when you could have cobbled something
together in half an hour from your junk pile.

The mechanism is straightforward, but it is not as easy to make a
rubber barrel.