Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Who will be the first?

"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots
and Tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of
Patriots and Tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

John Boehner is out in front on this one. Last night, from the floor of the
House of Representatives, he put a gun to his head and then pulled the
trigger big time.

LOL

"No illusions please: This bill will not be repealed. Even if Republicans
scored a 1994 style landslide in November, how many votes could we muster to
re-open the 'doughnut hole' and charge seniors more for prescription drugs?
How many votes to re-allow insurers to rescind policies when they discover a
pre-existing condition? How many votes to banish 25 year-olds from their
parents' insurance coverage? And even if the votes were there -- would
President Obama sign such a repeal?" - David Frum

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of
Patriots and Tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

"The people cannot be all, & always well informed...Let them take arms. The
remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon & pacify them." -- Thomas
Jefferson (in the same letter from which you quoted)

I'm not so sure about the "pardon" part, and educating them as to the facts
is a Herculean burden, but pacifying the teabaggers should be as difficult a
task as confusing the Keystone Cops.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots
and Tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Dude, take your meds and get back to metalworking...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:38:44 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots
and Tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Dude, take your meds and get back to metalworking...

The clock is indeed ticking. Despite what Leftists wish to believe.

I hope you are prepared for it.

And one assumes that you accept quotes from Mao, Trotsky, Lenin and Marx
far more than you do those of our Founders.

Pity. Have you written out a will yet? Might be time.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots
and Tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Dude, take your meds and get back to metalworking...

The clock is indeed ticking. Despite what Leftists wish to believe.

Ticking and off topic.

I hope you are prepared for it.

I'm prepared for most any contingency.

And one assumes that you accept quotes from Mao, Trotsky, Lenin and Marx
far more than you do those of our Founders.

None of the above actually.

Pity. Have you written out a will yet? Might be time.

Wills are for people with relatives / dependents.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

off topic snipped

Oh yea, I've been doing quite a bit of plasma cutting, welding and
grinding lately, what have you done on-topic?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of
Patriots
and Tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Dude, take your meds and get back to metalworking...

The clock is indeed ticking. Despite what Leftists wish to believe.

I hope you are prepared for it.

And one assumes that you accept quotes from Mao, Trotsky, Lenin and Marx
far more than you do those of our Founders.

Pity. Have you written out a will yet? Might be time.

And when they catch your Sons of Timothy McVeigh, shall we warm up Old
Sparky, or will you settle for lethal injection?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

off topic snipped

Oh yea, I've been doing quite a bit of plasma cutting, welding and
grinding lately, what have you done on-topic?

I'm working on making 10 .188D x .255" long brass pins with .100" of 10/32 threads on the
end. I'm curious how deep a cut I can take to minimize my number of passes. The pins are
360 Brass.

They are cam pins for the gatling gun I'm building.

I set up a long travel dial indicator on the saddle and use it for length of threading.
I'm only using power to get the tool close to the work each pass. The cutting I'm doing
by cranking the spindle. That clutch/brake system on my 6903 is pretty handy.

I'm also damn glad I built the tooling to run 5c collets.

Now a bit of OT. November is when the culling takes place. At the ballot box. I'm not
betting on any specific outcome.

So how deep a cut can I take for each threading pass in brass? Never threaded brass
before.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots
and Tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Dude, take your meds and get back to metalworking...

The clock is indeed ticking. Despite what Leftists wish to believe.

Ticking and off topic.

I hope you are prepared for it.

I'm prepared for most any contingency.

And one assumes that you accept quotes from Mao, Trotsky, Lenin and Marx
far more than you do those of our Founders.

None of the above actually.

Pity. Have you written out a will yet? Might be time.

Wills are for people with relatives / dependents.

Pity. How about an animal rescue organization as recepient?

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 16:37:53 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

off topic snipped

Oh yea, I've been doing quite a bit of plasma cutting, welding and
grinding lately, what have you done on-topic?

Got the Miller 2010 running and built a PVC pipe (1"-18") slotter up and
in production. Started a second company and Im home for a week and
cleaning out the back 40, moving Hardinge lathes around, the two "new"
mills up and running. Tommorow Ive got to rebuilt 2 Lipe RollAway bar
feeders and get them down to LA, as I sold one and traded one for a
Lagun FTV mill. One is 12', the other is a short 8 footer.

I just came into the house after grinding spacers to a consistant
thickness so I can put em on the arbor shafts of the pipe slitter. Im
only running 30-40 saw blades at a time, and having a thick or non flat
spacer really screws up the slot pattern on a 20' joint of PVC.

I think Ive ground about 200 various thickness spacers on my 618 surface
grinder (love that big big mag chuck).

Other than that..not doing all that much, the economy in California is
in the toilet, and manufacturing is dying like a Leftard 30 minutes
after the Great Cull starts.

Oh..and Ive got to get Jon Andersons right angle Bridgeport adapter
crated up along with the arbor and get it shipped up north to him.

Now that the torential rains have stopped, the ground is hard enough
that I could move the forklift and cleaned out the spare machines from
the new and improved shop yesterday and out to storage in the back 40.

Ive been in LA for the past 2 weeks taking care of customers and that
slotting and perferating shop Im partners in, was home for 5
days..rained every day I was home, so only could do stuff inside. Redid
my reloading shop benches and started organizing my ammo storage, ripped
out all my machines, respotted them, set em up and so forth. Now Im
looking for a drive belt for the Clausing 5100 15x52 lathe, because Ive
got some local oilfield work that needs machined. That pesky 7.5 hp
motor simply wouldnt run on my 5hp RPC, so installed a 10hp VFD to run
it from single phase. Shrug...lots of other stuff, which I could go
into detail about, if I thought you would give a ****. I was working in
LA for 4 weeks before that..shrug

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:03:08 -0500, Wes wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

[...]

Frankly..Id use threading die on something that small, unless I fired up
my OmniTurn CNC lathe (out back), and then turned the die around and
used the small end to butt the thread to the end of the brass threaded
area. But thats just me. Brass threads nicely with dies and its fast.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots
and Tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Dude, take your meds and get back to metalworking...

The clock is indeed ticking. Despite what Leftists wish to believe.

Ticking and off topic.

I hope you are prepared for it.

I'm prepared for most any contingency.

And one assumes that you accept quotes from Mao, Trotsky, Lenin and Marx
far more than you do those of our Founders.

None of the above actually.

Pity. Have you written out a will yet? Might be time.

Wills are for people with relatives / dependents.

Pity. How about an animal rescue organization as recepient?

Can't find one that will guarantee the inheritance will only be used to
help cats.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

You got all that going and have time left for off topic junk???

I've been working on a truck box for my new truck. Since the truck has a
severe lack of interior storage space I need a box in the bed, but
nobody makes one like I want, so I bought one that was somewhat close
and reworked it. I finished it last week and I pick it up from the local
Line-X shop tomorrow. I'm installing an inverter and a compressor in it,
so I've got a bit more work to do, but it's getting there. All the weld
grinding has done a number on my carpal tunnel though, which sucks.

After completing the truck box I have to de-winterize my camper for an
upcoming weekend trip, and as the weather is finally improving I have a
few other shop projects to get back to.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots
and Tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Dude, take your meds and get back to metalworking...

The clock is indeed ticking. Despite what Leftists wish to believe.

Ticking and off topic.

I hope you are prepared for it.

I'm prepared for most any contingency.

And one assumes that you accept quotes from Mao, Trotsky, Lenin and Marx
far more than you do those of our Founders.

None of the above actually.

Pity. Have you written out a will yet? Might be time.

Wills are for people with relatives / dependents.

Pity. How about an animal rescue organization as recepient?

Can't find one that will guarantee the inheritance will only be used to
help cats.

There are many thousands of them out there that cater to cat rescue and
have good reputations.

I used to donate to 2 of them within 50 miles of my local in Central
California, before the Leftwingers turned California into #3 worst
depressed state in the union.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:38:44 -0600, the infamous "Pete C."
scrawled the following:

Steve B wrote:

"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots
and Tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Dude, take your meds and get back to metalworking...

He's probably out casting lead as we speak. titter

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Of course I do. Im only 56, and can multi task quite well. You cant?
Pity.

I've been working on a truck box for my new truck. Since the truck has a
severe lack of interior storage space I need a box in the bed, but
nobody makes one like I want, so I bought one that was somewhat close
and reworked it. I finished it last week and I pick it up from the local
Line-X shop tomorrow. I'm installing an inverter and a compressor in it,
so I've got a bit more work to do, but it's getting there. All the weld
grinding has done a number on my carpal tunnel though, which sucks.

Where did you put the box..in the bed or under it? Pickup or 6 wheeler?

After completing the truck box I have to de-winterize my camper for an
upcoming weekend trip, and as the weather is finally improving I have a
few other shop projects to get back to.

So you are employed full time at a 9-5? No wonder you cant get much
done. Shrug.

But keep up the good work. Sounds like you are doing ok.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots
and Tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Dude, take your meds and get back to metalworking...

He's probably out casting lead as we speak. titter

No..but Ive located a 12" bull plug and a nice old cast iron burner and
have them partially assembled into a "rouging" pot. I snagged some 300
lbs or more of wheel weights in the last month or so and need to do a
meltdown, get rid of the wheel clips, flux and then cast into ingots so
Ive got lead on hand for the upcoming shooting season.

Thanks! for reminding me. Ill see what I can get done in the next day
or two. Ill be running it off of house natural gas.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:41:28 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Pity. Have you written out a will yet? Might be time.

Wills are for people with relatives / dependents.

Pity. How about an animal rescue organization as recepient?

But hasn't the Humane Society just become another front for PETA?
(And don't the PETA/PAWS shelters have the worse rate for
"termination" of unwanted companion animals?) Which means that they'd
be more than likely to be putting him down, anyway.

Oh, wait, you meant he could leave his worldly goods to an animal
rescue organization. My mistake, I thought you meant to to ... well,
strip my gears and call me shiftless. (You realize,as well, that as a
proper Marxist, err progressive, he doesn't believe in private
property?)
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:41:28 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Pity. Have you written out a will yet? Might be time.

Wills are for people with relatives / dependents.

Pity. How about an animal rescue organization as recepient?

But hasn't the Humane Society just become another front for PETA?
(And don't the PETA/PAWS shelters have the worse rate for
"termination" of unwanted companion animals?) Which means that they'd
be more than likely to be putting him down, anyway.

Oh, wait, you meant he could leave his worldly goods to an animal
rescue organization. My mistake, I thought you meant to to ... well,
strip my gears and call me shiftless. (You realize,as well, that as a
proper Marxist, err progressive, he doesn't believe in private
property?)

Perhaps you should look at the thread and see who you're talking about.
I'm a centrist extremist and as anti-socialist as they come.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

I'm in Texas, we still have a relatively booming economy here. Work and
other activities also take up my multi-tasking time.

I've been working on a truck box for my new truck. Since the truck has a
severe lack of interior storage space I need a box in the bed, but
nobody makes one like I want, so I bought one that was somewhat close
and reworked it. I finished it last week and I pick it up from the local
Line-X shop tomorrow. I'm installing an inverter and a compressor in it,
so I've got a bit more work to do, but it's getting there. All the weld
grinding has done a number on my carpal tunnel though, which sucks.

Where did you put the box..in the bed or under it? Pickup or 6 wheeler?

CC, LB, DRW F350. The box was intended as an underbody box, but I am
putting it in the bed across behind the cab. 60" width, 18" high, and
cut down to 12" deep. I carry a truck camper from time to time, so don't
want to push it too far back.

The box is setup for quick mounting / removal, with the power feed to
the inverter and compressor that will be in it connected via a 175A
forklift type connector. Pushing the camper back 12" isn't a problem for
the truck, but if I am towing my trailer at the same time, the overhang
will get in the way, so I will be able to remove the box from the truck
and put it in the trailer in short order. Should work out nicely.

I also put 8 5/16-18 mounting points on the top of the box so I can
secure additional racks as needed, i.e. a rack to hold my little Honda
generator and a few fuel cans on top of the box in the nice sheltered
space under the camper overhang. Got some nice stainless button head
tamper torx screws to secure stuff.

After completing the truck box I have to de-winterize my camper for an
upcoming weekend trip, and as the weather is finally improving I have a
few other shop projects to get back to.

So you are employed full time at a 9-5? No wonder you cant get much
done. Shrug.

9-5? More like 24x7 with being on call much of the time. Working from
home certainly helps with the multi-task-ability and mowing the lawn for
lunch, etc.

But keep up the good work. Sounds like you are doing ok.

So far, but I'm working on my plan for early retirement to subsistence
farming... It's the way of the future, look at Zimbabwe...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of
Patriots
and Tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Dude, take your meds and get back to metalworking...

The clock is indeed ticking. Despite what Leftists wish to believe.

I hope you are prepared for it.

And one assumes that you accept quotes from Mao, Trotsky, Lenin and Marx
far more than you do those of our Founders.

Pity. *Have you written out a will yet? * Might be time.

And when they catch your Sons of Timothy McVeigh, shall we warm up Old
Sparky, or will you settle for lethal injection?

--
Ed Huntress

I wouldn't waste the electricity on them. Just lock 'em all up
together and let them deal with each other.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Pete C." wrote:

off topic snipped

Oh yea, I've been doing quite a bit of plasma cutting, welding and
grinding lately, what have you done on-topic?

We have a topic? You're kidding!

Pshaw!

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:37:10 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

Steve B wrote:

"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots
and Tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Dude, take your meds and get back to metalworking...

He's probably out casting lead as we speak. titter

No..but Ive located a 12" bull plug

Whassat?

and a nice old cast iron burner and
have them partially assembled into a "rouging" pot. I snagged some 300
lbs or more of wheel weights in the last month or so and need to do a
meltdown, get rid of the wheel clips, flux and then cast into ingots so
Ive got lead on hand for the upcoming shooting season.

Thanks! for reminding me. Ill see what I can get done in the next day
or two. Ill be running it off of house natural gas.

Put in your own splitter, didja?

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
-- Samuel Butler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots
and Tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Dude, take your meds and get back to metalworking...

He's probably out casting lead as we speak. titter

No..but Ive located a 12" bull plug

Whassat?

http://www.anvilintl.com/ProductSear...d=113&ptid=665

The thingy with the round end.

and a nice old cast iron burner and
have them partially assembled into a "rouging" pot. I snagged some 300
lbs or more of wheel weights in the last month or so and need to do a
meltdown, get rid of the wheel clips, flux and then cast into ingots so
Ive got lead on hand for the upcoming shooting season.

Thanks! for reminding me. Ill see what I can get done in the next day
or two. Ill be running it off of house natural gas.

Put in your own splitter, didja?

Of course I did. On the house side of the meter of course.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 05:09:22 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Mar 22, 6:49*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

Pity. *Have you written out a will yet? * Might be time.

And when they catch your Sons of Timothy McVeigh, shall we warm up Old
Sparky, or will you settle for lethal injection?

--
Ed Huntress

I wouldn't waste the electricity on them. Just lock 'em all up
together and let them deal with each other.

I think of them like a snake with a tire track across its back,
wriggling away its last moments. Except that I'd have enough pity on
the snake to put it out of its misery.

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I will be watching with interest, and with a lot of
distance. While I support liberty, and the Constitution, I'm
also not interested in challenging the power of the US
Government.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message
"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the
blood of Patriots
and Tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner Asch wrote:

So how deep a cut can I take for each threading pass in brass? Never
threaded brass
before.

Wes

Frankly..Id use threading die on something that small, unless I fired up
my OmniTurn CNC lathe (out back), and then turned the die around and
used the small end to butt the thread to the end of the brass threaded
area. But thats just me. Brass threads nicely with dies and its fast.

I whipped out another 6 in the time I had to play this afternoon. Ended
up taking a cut
of .015, .030, .036 on the compound handwheel. I used power to come close
each time and
then cranked the spindle by hand. I'm not getting fancy, I tapped a piece
of CRS 10-32
with the tap I'll use for the bolt body these followers screw in to and
used it as a
check nut.

Now lining the threading tool up on the end of my prepared stock and
getting my dial
indicator zeroed so I could gage the .100" of threads I'm cutting took
almost as much time
as cutting the threads.

Why not cut a small thread relief and start your cut from the chuck and move
in the +Z direction?
Just flip your tool over and run the spindle in reverse.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

Perhaps you should look at the thread and see who you're talking about.
I'm a centrist extremist and as anti-socialist as they come.

But you don't like dogs.

Wes

Nope, no dogs. Love cats, but only have one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:13:30 -0500, Wes wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

Wes wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

Perhaps you should look at the thread and see who you're talking about.
I'm a centrist extremist and as anti-socialist as they come.

But you don't like dogs.

Wes

Nope, no dogs. Love cats, but only have one.

I'm a dog guy but all of my dogs have coexisted with kitties.

Once upon a time, I came home early and was reading a magazine with the tv on when I heard
a strange knock on the storm door. I looked and saw a somewhat emaciated kittie hitting
the door with her paw.

I felt sorry for that poor thing so I opened the door intending to give her a quick meal
and a trip out the door. Well she came in, jumped up on the dryer and started munching on
Samson and Midnights food that we kept up there out of reach of the dog.

I didn't really pick up on that. Sometimes I'm slow, I'll admit that.

Anyway, the wife comes home, sees the cat, now in my lap, and gives me a look, oh you've
met Boots.

Evidently she felt sorry for the stray, didn't want to ask me to keep yet another pet
since we had 3 at the time.

She had been going out each night and opening the window of my Escort so the cat had a
safe place to sleep each night along with feeding it. Each morning she got up before I
did and chased it out before I got up. We were taking the newspaper at the time so she
had a reason to go out. Oh honey, I'll get the paper. That sort of thing.

Since the cat spent all that time in my car, and likely got used to my smell, it bonded to
me and became my cat. RIP Boots. When it got down to keeping her alive by iv drips it
was time to let her go. Sure miss the damn cat, who needs an alarm clock when your cats
stomach is tuned to your weekday work wake up schedule.

Wes

Very well stated and posted.

Gunner, with two cats in his lap, and a dog on eather side of his feet
as he types this.

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Why not cut a small thread relief and start your cut from the chuck and move
in the +Z direction?
Just flip your tool over and run the spindle in reverse.

I know what you are saying but I'm using this:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/10...ost_holder?s=1

One of these days I'm going to try your way though. Actually if I had to make a lot of
these things I'd give up on my way, grind a HSS bit and use your way. I only have to make
three more now.

Thanks,

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Pete C." wrote:

Wes wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a cat I had that could ring the doorbell. When I had company,
I'd say, "Could you get that?", knowing what was up.

"Who was it?", I'd ask.

"Just your cat."

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Why not cut a small thread relief and start your cut from the chuck
and move in the +Z direction?
Just flip your tool over and run the spindle in reverse.

I know what you are saying but I'm using this:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/10...ost_holder?s=1

One of these days I'm going to try your way though. Actually if I had
to make a lot of these things I'd give up on my way, grind a HSS bit
and use your way. I only have to make three more now.

You can always grind up a bit or two now or pick up the appropriate holder
cheap when you see one.
Then you'll be prepared and the pucker factor will be less.
Much less.

Personally, I'm only happy when the tool rotates and the work is clamped.
I've seen too many parts come out of big CNC VTL's when the programmer or
operator didn't clamp the table RPM.
I've also seen hydraulic chucks gradually let go as the spindle got really
turning.

Breaking an end mill happens. Crashing into a part with a tool is something
to avoid but at least when either of those happen, your work doesn't chase
you around the room trying to kill you.

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/22/2010 9:52 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
"Steve wrote in message
"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of
Patriots and Tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

"The people cannot be all,& always well informed...Let them take arms. The
remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon& pacify them." -- Thomas
Jefferson (in the same letter from which you quoted)

I'm not so sure about the "pardon" part, and educating them as to the facts
is a Herculean burden, but pacifying the teabaggers should be as difficult a
task as confusing the Keystone Cops.

This teabagging thing is way overblown. Did anyone notice how few
teabaggers showed up for the rallies right before the vote on health
care? It was a puny turnout. No one really knows how many people there
are that are teabaggers but I'm betting that it is not many. It's like
the gay lobby. They make a lot of noise for only 5% of the population. I
think it's the same for the teabaggers. They make a lot of noise but in
reality it's a pretty small group. They get a lot of attention though
and for good reason. They are financed by a bunch of right wing groups
like the one run by former majority leader Dick Armey. They know how to
get people out and to get them on TV and to townhall meetings but there
aren't really that many of them. What you have is just a case of a small
minority that is trying to sway public opinion in a particular
direction. Unfortunately for them, it's not working. Nothing the
teabaggers want is going to happen and in the end isn't that what all
the political grandstanding is all about? Getting your way. It's not
working for the teabaggers and that means they will not be around for
long. I say good riddance.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 16:51:25 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I will be watching with interest, and with a lot of
distance. While I support liberty, and the Constitution, I'm
also not interested in challenging the power of the US
Government.

Challenge of the government is essential to democracy. Fear of
retribution for challenge of government is clear evidence of
submission to and acceptance of tyranny.

That's not to say that challenges should be by fire. That's revolution
or anarchy, doomed to fail against vastly superior force unless done
with considerably more coordination and fieldcraft than is evident
among noisy dissidents clamoring for attention or trolling on usenet.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

One of these days I'm going to try your way though. Actually if I had
to make a lot of these things I'd give up on my way, grind a HSS bit
and use your way. I only have to make three more now.

You can always grind up a bit or two now or pick up the appropriate holder
cheap when you see one.
Then you'll be prepared and the pucker factor will be less.
Much less.

Its on the list.

Personally, I'm only happy when the tool rotates and the work is clamped.
I've seen too many parts come out of big CNC VTL's when the programmer or
operator didn't clamp the table RPM.
I've also seen hydraulic chucks gradually let go as the spindle got really
turning.

Breaking an end mill happens. Crashing into a part with a tool is something
to avoid but at least when either of those happen, your work doesn't chase
you around the room trying to kill you.

You have a point there.

We turn a lot of ~30 lb pulleys on CNC lathes at work. I've seen (repaired) the damage
that relatively small piece of metal spinning away inside the machine with the door closed
can do when it pulls out or the operator has a fubar.

I'll pass on seeing a vtl on a bad day. I don't run that fast anymore.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I will be watching with interest, and with a lot of
distance. While I support liberty, and the Constitution, I'm
also not interested in challenging the power of the US
Government.

Challenge of the government is essential to democracy. Fear of
retribution for challenge of government is clear evidence of
submission to and acceptance of tyranny.

That's not to say that challenges should be by fire. That's revolution
or anarchy, doomed to fail against vastly superior force unless done
with considerably more coordination and fieldcraft than is evident
among noisy dissidents clamoring for attention or trolling on usenet.

Learn from the terrorists but improve on their tactics.