Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Who will be the first?

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:03:08 -0500, Wes wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

off topic snipped

Oh yea, I've been doing quite a bit of plasma cutting, welding and
grinding lately, what have you done on-topic?

I'm working on making 10 .188D x .255" long brass pins with .100" of 10/32 threads on the
end. I'm curious how deep a cut I can take to minimize my number of passes. The pins are
360 Brass.

They are cam pins for the gatling gun I'm building.

I set up a long travel dial indicator on the saddle and use it for length of threading.
I'm only using power to get the tool close to the work each pass. The cutting I'm doing
by cranking the spindle. That clutch/brake system on my 6903 is pretty handy.

I'm also damn glad I built the tooling to run 5c collets.

Now a bit of OT. November is when the culling takes place. At the ballot box. I'm not
betting on any specific outcome.

So how deep a cut can I take for each threading pass in brass? Never threaded brass
before.

Wes

Frankly..Id use threading die on something that small, unless I fired up
my OmniTurn CNC lathe (out back), and then turned the die around and
used the small end to butt the thread to the end of the brass threaded
area. But thats just me. Brass threads nicely with dies and its fast.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost