Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Who will be the first?

Gunner Asch wrote:

So how deep a cut can I take for each threading pass in brass? Never threaded brass
before.

Wes

Frankly..Id use threading die on something that small, unless I fired up
my OmniTurn CNC lathe (out back), and then turned the die around and
used the small end to butt the thread to the end of the brass threaded
area. But thats just me. Brass threads nicely with dies and its fast.

I whipped out another 6 in the time I had to play this afternoon. Ended up taking a cut
of .015, .030, .036 on the compound handwheel. I used power to come close each time and
then cranked the spindle by hand. I'm not getting fancy, I tapped a piece of CRS 10-32
with the tap I'll use for the bolt body these followers screw in to and used it as a
check nut.

Now lining the threading tool up on the end of my prepared stock and getting my dial
indicator zeroed so I could gage the .100" of threads I'm cutting took almost as much time
as cutting the threads.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller