Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Who will be the first?

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

One of these days I'm going to try your way though. Actually if I had
to make a lot of these things I'd give up on my way, grind a HSS bit
and use your way. I only have to make three more now.

You can always grind up a bit or two now or pick up the appropriate holder
cheap when you see one.
Then you'll be prepared and the pucker factor will be less.
Much less.

Its on the list.

Personally, I'm only happy when the tool rotates and the work is clamped.
I've seen too many parts come out of big CNC VTL's when the programmer or
operator didn't clamp the table RPM.
I've also seen hydraulic chucks gradually let go as the spindle got really
turning.

Breaking an end mill happens. Crashing into a part with a tool is something
to avoid but at least when either of those happen, your work doesn't chase
you around the room trying to kill you.

You have a point there.

We turn a lot of ~30 lb pulleys on CNC lathes at work. I've seen (repaired) the damage
that relatively small piece of metal spinning away inside the machine with the door closed
can do when it pulls out or the operator has a fubar.

I'll pass on seeing a vtl on a bad day. I don't run that fast anymore.

Wes