Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Who will be the first?

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 20:19:54 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 16:37:53 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

off topic snipped

Oh yea, I've been doing quite a bit of plasma cutting, welding and
grinding lately, what have you done on-topic?

Got the Miller 2010 running and built a PVC pipe (1"-18") slotter up and
in production. Started a second company and Im home for a week and
cleaning out the back 40, moving Hardinge lathes around, the two "new"
mills up and running. Tommorow Ive got to rebuilt 2 Lipe RollAway bar
feeders and get them down to LA, as I sold one and traded one for a
Lagun FTV mill. One is 12', the other is a short 8 footer.

I just came into the house after grinding spacers to a consistant
thickness so I can put em on the arbor shafts of the pipe slitter. Im
only running 30-40 saw blades at a time, and having a thick or non flat
spacer really screws up the slot pattern on a 20' joint of PVC.

I think Ive ground about 200 various thickness spacers on my 618 surface
grinder (love that big big mag chuck).

Other than that..not doing all that much, the economy in California is
in the toilet, and manufacturing is dying like a Leftard 30 minutes
after the Great Cull starts.

Oh..and Ive got to get Jon Andersons right angle Bridgeport adapter
crated up along with the arbor and get it shipped up north to him.

Now that the torential rains have stopped, the ground is hard enough
that I could move the forklift and cleaned out the spare machines from
the new and improved shop yesterday and out to storage in the back 40.

Ive been in LA for the past 2 weeks taking care of customers and that
slotting and perferating shop Im partners in, was home for 5
days..rained every day I was home, so only could do stuff inside. Redid
my reloading shop benches and started organizing my ammo storage, ripped
out all my machines, respotted them, set em up and so forth. Now Im
looking for a drive belt for the Clausing 5100 15x52 lathe, because Ive
got some local oilfield work that needs machined. That pesky 7.5 hp
motor simply wouldnt run on my 5hp RPC, so installed a 10hp VFD to run
it from single phase. Shrug...lots of other stuff, which I could go
into detail about, if I thought you would give a ****. I was working in
LA for 4 weeks before that..shrug

Gunner

You got all that going and have time left for off topic junk???

Of course I do. Im only 56, and can multi task quite well. You cant?
Pity.

I'm in Texas, we still have a relatively booming economy here. Work and
other activities also take up my multi-tasking time.

I've been working on a truck box for my new truck. Since the truck has a
severe lack of interior storage space I need a box in the bed, but
nobody makes one like I want, so I bought one that was somewhat close
and reworked it. I finished it last week and I pick it up from the local
Line-X shop tomorrow. I'm installing an inverter and a compressor in it,
so I've got a bit more work to do, but it's getting there. All the weld
grinding has done a number on my carpal tunnel though, which sucks.

Where did you put the box..in the bed or under it? Pickup or 6 wheeler?

CC, LB, DRW F350. The box was intended as an underbody box, but I am
putting it in the bed across behind the cab. 60" width, 18" high, and
cut down to 12" deep. I carry a truck camper from time to time, so don't
want to push it too far back.

The box is setup for quick mounting / removal, with the power feed to
the inverter and compressor that will be in it connected via a 175A
forklift type connector. Pushing the camper back 12" isn't a problem for
the truck, but if I am towing my trailer at the same time, the overhang
will get in the way, so I will be able to remove the box from the truck
and put it in the trailer in short order. Should work out nicely.

I also put 8 5/16-18 mounting points on the top of the box so I can
secure additional racks as needed, i.e. a rack to hold my little Honda
generator and a few fuel cans on top of the box in the nice sheltered
space under the camper overhang. Got some nice stainless button head
tamper torx screws to secure stuff.

After completing the truck box I have to de-winterize my camper for an
upcoming weekend trip, and as the weather is finally improving I have a
few other shop projects to get back to.

So you are employed full time at a 9-5? No wonder you cant get much
done. Shrug.

9-5? More like 24x7 with being on call much of the time. Working from
home certainly helps with the multi-task-ability and mowing the lawn for
lunch, etc.

But keep up the good work. Sounds like you are doing ok.

So far, but I'm working on my plan for early retirement to subsistence
farming... It's the way of the future, look at Zimbabwe...