Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default WTB 2" Aluminum 6" diameter

I need two pieces of aluminum 2" thick and 6" in diameter...or a
piece(s) I can get that size out of. If you have any; price to 76044?

These will be wheel spacers for a garden tractor so alloy or temper is
not important. I can find lots of 1" but the smallest 2" so far is 4'
x 6'.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 27, 2:55*pm, wrote:
I need two pieces of aluminum 2" thick and *6" in diameter...or a
piece(s) I can get that size out of. If you have any; price to 76044?

These will be wheel spacers for a garden tractor so alloy or temper is
not important. I can find lots of 1" but the smallest 2" so far is 4'
x 6'.

I have two pieces of 2028 Alloy Aluminum. Both are 2 inches thick, six
inches wide and one piece is about 30 inches long (all corners square)
and the other is about 15 inches with one end uneven. I would have to
have $1.25 per pound (IIRC Aluminum weighs .098pounds per cubic inch)
plus shipping from 68510. You can contact me at the above E-Mail
address if interested.

DL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
That's expensive stuff for garden tractor wheel spacers. I'd be looking
to fab them out of steel and probably not a solid piece either, like two
disks of 1/2" plate with some turned tubular spacers between and welded.
The extra weight vs. AL would likely be a benefit for the application as
well.

I agree. Maybe even 1/4" steel, for ease of fab & wide spacers, to
resist the torque. Maybe 1-1/2" sch 40 pipe.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote in
:

Pete C. wrote:
That's expensive stuff for garden tractor wheel spacers. I'd be looking
to fab them out of steel and probably not a solid piece either, like two
disks of 1/2" plate with some turned tubular spacers between and welded.
The extra weight vs. AL would likely be a benefit for the application as
well.

I agree. Maybe even 1/4" steel, for ease of fab & wide spacers, to
resist the torque. Maybe 1-1/2" sch 40 pipe.

Out of curiosity, I checked McMaster Carr. They will sell 3" thick 6"
disks of 6061-T6 for a little over $50 each.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My local sells offcuts for a flat $3.50 per pound 6061-T6. You have to
dig in the racks but I can usually find some piece fairly close to net
shape. A 6" square, 2" thick would be a bit under 7 pounds, would run
around $24 each.

I agree: a fabricated one sounds better.

wrote:
I need two pieces of aluminum 2" thick and 6" in diameter...or a
piece(s) I can get that size out of. If you have any; price to 76044?

These will be wheel spacers for a garden tractor so alloy or temper is
not important. I can find lots of 1" but the smallest 2" so far is 4'
x 6'.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 15:06:39 -0600, "Pete C."

I need two pieces of aluminum 2" thick and 6" in diameter...or a
piece(s) I can get that size out of. If you have any; price to 76044?

These will be wheel spacers for a garden tractor so alloy or temper is
not important. I can find lots of 1" but the smallest 2" so far is 4'
x 6'.

That's expensive stuff for garden tractor wheel spacers. I'd be looking
to fab them out of steel and probably not a solid piece either, like two
disks of 1/2" plate with some turned tubular spacers between and welded.
The extra weight vs. AL would likely be a benefit for the application as
well.

Why so expensive? You can buy ready made spacers for cars; 4 for $120
complete with studs and nuts. 1/2"-20 studs. I need 7/16"-14.

I collect and restore vintage garden tractors. Newest is 1983 model.
I've had dual rear lugs for 20 years on my working tractor.

I'm building a custom tractor to pull the others in parades. I finally
found some 12" x 12" wheels but need to move them out to clear the
frame.

I could build up something out of steel but I'm also adding disc
brakes. It needs to be pretty true.

I chose aluminum because of my machining capabilities. Mini mill and
6" craftsman lathe.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

I saw 4" diameter at least aluminum at Alco Iron and Metal in San Leandro,
CA last week. $3.50 a pound, $30 minium order. They most likely ship.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Trident Metals in Richardson can probably get you the AL you want and
deliver it on one of their normal truck runs near your place. They've
delivered stuff up to me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 20:43:20 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Trident Metals in Richardson can probably get you the AL you want and
deliver it on one of their normal truck runs near your place. They've
delivered stuff up to me.

Thanks for the lead. I've found some government surplus spacers; 1.25
OD x 0.468 ID 1.072 long. I can stack them or use them to space out a
piece of 1".