Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default WTB 2" Aluminum 6" diameter

wrote:

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 15:06:39 -0600, "Pete C."

I need two pieces of aluminum 2" thick and 6" in diameter...or a
piece(s) I can get that size out of. If you have any; price to 76044?

These will be wheel spacers for a garden tractor so alloy or temper is
not important. I can find lots of 1" but the smallest 2" so far is 4'
x 6'.

That's expensive stuff for garden tractor wheel spacers. I'd be looking
to fab them out of steel and probably not a solid piece either, like two
disks of 1/2" plate with some turned tubular spacers between and welded.
The extra weight vs. AL would likely be a benefit for the application as
well.

Why so expensive? You can buy ready made spacers for cars; 4 for $120
complete with studs and nuts. 1/2"-20 studs. I need 7/16"-14.

I collect and restore vintage garden tractors. Newest is 1983 model.
I've had dual rear lugs for 20 years on my working tractor.

I'm building a custom tractor to pull the others in parades. I finally
found some 12" x 12" wheels but need to move them out to clear the
frame.

I could build up something out of steel but I'm also adding disc
brakes. It needs to be pretty true.

I chose aluminum because of my machining capabilities. Mini mill and
6" craftsman lathe.

Trident Metals in Richardson can probably get you the AL you want and
deliver it on one of their normal truck runs near your place. They've
delivered stuff up to me.