Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

Default need steel or AL shafts about 1" long, 1/2" diameter, with about a 3/8" hole bored in center

I need a quantity of steel or aluminum shafts about 1" long, 1/2" diameter,
with about a 3/8" hole bored about 1/2" deep into the center of the shaft.
Need small tapped hole perpendicular to the length for a set screw.

I will be using it to adapt a motor shaft to a wheel.

Is this a commonly available part ? If so, what name does it go by ? I have
tried doing this myself using drill press and aluminum rod, but my skills
are still in the development stage. I wondered if maybe there is something
already available I can use instead.

Thanks !
JCD

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

Lets see if I understand this. 1/2 inch diameter = 4/8, then take out
3/8, leaving 1/8 divided by 2 leaves 1/16 inch for set screw thread.
Do you care if the end of the set screw extends out from the surface?
Won't catch on anything?

Seems like not many threads for a set screw.

Yep - you got it right. Actually I am using a regular screw, which does
indeed extend out from the shaft and through the hub of a plastic lawnmower
wheel. I might not be using the correct terminology here.

To help, I've uploaded a photo to this URL:
http://www.waycoolgear.com/ebay/shaft.jpg
( Note that I am not selling anything here, I just use the eBay directory to
post all my uploads like this. )

The inset photo is of the shaft itself, the rest of the photo shows in
inserted into the lawnmower wheel's hub.

Feel free to correct me on my terminology!
JCD

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

You should be able to buy these in quantity. check with www.mcmaster.com
www.mscdirect.com or google away.

Search on 'bushing', 'sleeve bearing', or 'standoff'

I looked through McMaster, found SAE 841 bronze sleeve bearings for $.62
each part number 6391k178. They have the same thing in steel, just not
quite the right wall thickness.

pogo wrote:
I need a quantity of steel or aluminum shafts about 1" long, 1/2" diameter,
with about a 3/8" hole bored about 1/2" deep into the center of the shaft.
Need small tapped hole perpendicular to the length for a set screw.

I will be using it to adapt a motor shaft to a wheel.

Is this a commonly available part ? If so, what name does it go by ? I have
tried doing this myself using drill press and aluminum rod, but my skills
are still in the development stage. I wondered if maybe there is something
already available I can use instead.

Thanks !
JCD

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

Search on 'bushing', 'sleeve bearing', or 'standoff'

I looked through McMaster, found SAE 841 bronze sleeve bearings for $.62
each part number 6391k178. They have the same thing in steel, just not
quite the right wall thickness.

Wow!!!! The main reason I was trying to make some is for some kits I want to
sell. And the main motivation factor in that is that the original supplier
of a robot drive unit that I bought the wheel+shaft from ( that you see in
the photo ) charges $9.00 for that little piece of metal!!! I over tightened
the screw in one of these and tore the threads right off the screw but left
it inside the shaft, so I had to drill and tap a new one.

Thanks for your help. This is *very* good advice and information!

Thanks again !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

I looked through McMaster, found SAE 841 bronze sleeve bearings for $.62
each part number 6391k178. They have the same thing in steel, just not
quite the right wall thickness.

How easy is bronze to drill, compared to aluminum? Harder ? Harder than
steel ?
Thanks !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

The bronze is a bit harder to machine than aluminum although it takes a
wonderful surface finish. Much softer than steel.

If you are using a standard drillpress and just have a few pieces, make
a 'V' block of aluminum or wood, center punch, and drill. If you need to
make a hundred or more, make a small fixture with a drill bushing above
the part. Look for a "flanged drill bushing" in the right size at McMaster.

You don't say how many you will need but once you get to the couple
hundred or so range, check with a smaller local CNC machine shop. This
part is so easy it begs to have the new guy do it for training. I'd also
suggest that your supplier is marking them up by at least 400% to 600%.

pogo wrote:

I looked through McMaster, found SAE 841 bronze sleeve bearings for $.62
each part number 6391k178. They have the same thing in steel, just not
quite the right wall thickness.

How easy is bronze to drill, compared to aluminum? Harder ? Harder than
steel ?
Thanks !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

Lets see if I understand this. 1/2 inch diameter = 4/8, then take out
3/8, leaving 1/8 divided by 2 leaves 1/16 inch for set screw thread.
Do you care if the end of the set screw extends out from the surface?
Won't catch on anything?

Seems like not many threads for a set screw.

I re-measured and the interior hole is 1/4" ... not 3/8" . Good catch!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:10:22 -0500, "pogo"
wrote:

Lets see if I understand this. 1/2 inch diameter = 4/8, then take out
3/8, leaving 1/8 divided by 2 leaves 1/16 inch for set screw thread.
Do you care if the end of the set screw extends out from the surface?
Won't catch on anything?

Seems like not many threads for a set screw.

I re-measured and the interior hole is 1/4" ... not 3/8" . Good catch!

Sounds like you are looking for cut-to-length precision finished
[centerless ground] tubing.

Found these on Google
http://www.precisionmetalcutting.com/
http://www.greendon.com/tube_products.htm
http://www.copperweld.com/pdfs/DOMBro.pdf
and a bunch more

Uncle George
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

In article et,
says...
You should be able to buy these in quantity. check with
www.mcmaster.com
www.mscdirect.com or google away.

Search on 'bushing', 'sleeve bearing', or 'standoff'

I looked through McMaster, found SAE 841 bronze sleeve bearings for $.62
each part number 6391k178. They have the same thing in steel, just not
quite the right wall thickness.

SAE 841, aka Oilite, is a sintered bronze and will not hold threads very
well. SAE 660 bronze is also very common and would be a better choice in
this case.

See the bottom of McMmaster page 1018 for steel bushings.

Misumi America is another possible source.
http://www.misumiamerica.com/

Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

Sounds like you are looking for cut-to-length precision finished
[centerless ground] tubing.

Found these on Google
http://www.precisionmetalcutting.com/
http://www.greendon.com/tube_products.htm
http://www.copperweld.com/pdfs/DOMBro.pdf
and a bunch more

Uncle George

Thanks! I'll take a look!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

SAE 841, aka Oilite, is a sintered bronze and will not hold threads very
well. SAE 660 bronze is also very common and would be a better choice in
this case.

See the bottom of McMmaster page 1018 for steel bushings.

Misumi America is another possible source.
http://www.misumiamerica.com/

Ned Simmons

Yeah - I had decided I didn't want the oilite because I *want* friction
since it as attaching a motor shaft to a wheel. Glad to know about the lack
of thread-holding qualities, too.

Thanks !