Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default For once, I wish I lived somewhere icy

Just found these plans. Way cool. If I lived somewhere icy, I'd build one:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/go-kart/pdf/Snowsled.pdf

Now I think the Hardy Boys had a fictional sled at one point, in a book
long ago. Anyone ever build a real one?

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Just found these plans. Way cool. If I lived somewhere icy, I'd build one

No need to be icy - it's an airboat, that happens to be oddly (and
non-KISS) powered and which won't float if the ice breaks. So slap a
boat under it, and it's an airboat that will float which you can play
with where it's warm, and power more appropriately. IIRC for typical
airboats, this (hardly surprising given the vintage) is what would be
considered "severely underpowered" along with being non-KISS.

For KISS and more power, perhaps go see what you can find for crashed
shaft-drive motorcycles with working motors. Getting the cooling air
flow right would be tricky with a chain-drive.

Or just grab a V8 like most of the airboats seem to.

Or build a hovercraft.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 15, 12:24*pm, Ecnerwal
wrote:
In article ,
*"Steve B" wrote:

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message

A snowmobile will easily go fast enough to jump airborne when it hits
a pressure ridge you didn't see because everything is the same shade
of white. Then depending on the angle it hit it rolls sideways until
it lands.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Just found these plans. Way cool. If I lived somewhere icy, I'd build
one

No need to be icy - it's an airboat, that happens to be oddly (and
non-KISS) powered and which won't float if the ice breaks. So slap a
boat under it, and it's an airboat that will float which you can play
with where it's warm, and power more appropriately. IIRC for typical
airboats, this (hardly surprising given the vintage) is what would be
considered "severely underpowered" along with being non-KISS.

For KISS and more power, perhaps go see what you can find for crashed
shaft-drive motorcycles with working motors. Getting the cooling air
flow right would be tricky with a chain-drive.

Or just grab a V8 like most of the airboats seem to.

Or build a hovercraft.

I have a great plan for an iceboat powered by a four-cylinder motorcycle
engine, from _The Boy Mechanic_ published in the early '50s. It's one heck
of an ambitious project, with a streamlined fuselage and runner suspension.
People must have really gotten into their hobby projects in those days.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Just found these plans. Way cool. If I lived somewhere icy, I'd build one:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/go-kart/pdf/Snowsled.pdf

Now I think the Hardy Boys had a fictional sled at one point, in a book
long ago. Anyone ever build a real one?

Chris

That looks scary. Particularly braking. A dive buddy of mine from hard hat
days came from Michigan. His brother built race engines, and hillclimb
Jeeps. He took one of the big Olds Toronado front wheel drive engines,
bolted it onto a tubular frame chassis on the rear, put ice lugs on it, and
they used to ride out to their ice shack at 120 mph. THAT was one narly
looking beast. Had ice lug tires on the back as big as dragster slicks.
Spikes about 2" long.

Never rode in it. Never wanted to.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

That looks scary. Particularly braking. A dive buddy of mine from hard hat
days came from Michigan. His brother built race engines, and hillclimb
Jeeps. He took one of the big Olds Toronado front wheel drive engines,
bolted it onto a tubular frame chassis on the rear, put ice lugs on it, and
they used to ride out to their ice shack at 120 mph. THAT was one narly
looking beast. Had ice lug tires on the back as big as dragster slicks.
Spikes about 2" long.

Sounds wild. Would have loved to have seen it!

When I first saw those plans, I imagined a vehicle that could travel on
snow as well as ice. Like a snowmobile. Am I wrong or can some
propeller-driven sleds do this?

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

I have a great plan for an iceboat powered by a four-cylinder motorcycle
engine, from _The Boy Mechanic_ published in the early '50s. It's one heck
of an ambitious project, with a streamlined fuselage and runner suspension.
People must have really gotten into their hobby projects in those days.

I've seen some fascinating sets of plans from that era. Is it an iceboat
powered by a propeller, or by some kind of wheel which digs into the ice?

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:

I have a great plan for an iceboat powered by a four-cylinder
motorcycle engine, from _The Boy Mechanic_ published in the early
'50s. It's one heck of an ambitious project, with a streamlined
fuselage and runner suspension. People must have really gotten into
their hobby projects in those days.

I've seen some fascinating sets of plans from that era. Is it an iceboat
powered by a propeller, or by some kind of wheel which digs into the ice?

Just found this. Classic:
http://www.s363.com/Elbridge/GoDevil.html

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:

I have a great plan for an iceboat powered by a four-cylinder
motorcycle engine, from _The Boy Mechanic_ published in the early
'50s. It's one heck of an ambitious project, with a streamlined
fuselage and runner suspension. People must have really gotten into
their hobby projects in those days.

I've seen some fascinating sets of plans from that era. Is it an iceboat
powered by a propeller, or by some kind of wheel which digs into the ice?

And another:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=4...age&q=&f=false

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

I have a great plan for an iceboat powered by a four-cylinder motorcycle
engine, from _The Boy Mechanic_ published in the early '50s. It's one
heck of an ambitious project, with a streamlined fuselage and runner
suspension. People must have really gotten into their hobby projects in
those days.

I've seen some fascinating sets of plans from that era. Is it an iceboat
powered by a propeller, or by some kind of wheel which digs into the ice?

Chris

It has a propeller -- a two-bladed, wooden, light-aircraft prop. It's
two-place front-to-back. Very slick. Very big project.

You might find this book in a local library. It was pretty common at one
time. It has loads of good projects, including a crossbow you can build in
various versions up to 350-lb.-drawweight; a very small and simple iceboat;
and a kayak that I built when I was a kid. It also has a bunch of
science-project-type electric motors, including a tin-can motor that I built
with my son when he was little, and a little demo-type impulse steam
turbine, with boiler. A few of the projects require a metalworking lathe.
Imagine having one of those. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:

I have a great plan for an iceboat powered by a four-cylinder motorcycle
engine, from _The Boy Mechanic_ published in the early '50s. It's one
heck of an ambitious project, with a streamlined fuselage and runner
suspension. People must have really gotten into their hobby projects in
those days.

I've seen some fascinating sets of plans from that era. Is it an iceboat
powered by a propeller, or by some kind of wheel which digs into the ice?

Just found this. Classic:
http://www.s363.com/Elbridge/GoDevil.html

Chris

There's a brave man. I can picture that chain wrapped around my neck.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:

I have a great plan for an iceboat powered by a four-cylinder motorcycle
engine, from _The Boy Mechanic_ published in the early '50s. It's one
heck of an ambitious project, with a streamlined fuselage and runner
suspension. People must have really gotten into their hobby projects in
those days.

I've seen some fascinating sets of plans from that era. Is it an iceboat
powered by a propeller, or by some kind of wheel which digs into the ice?

And another:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=4...age&q=&f=false

Chris

Here's an early one from Modern Mechanix. No streamlining:

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/12/05/motorcycle-engine-powers-high-speed-ice-zipper/?Qwd=./HowToBuildIt/1-1932/ice_zipper&Qif=ice_zipper_1.jpg&Qiv=thumbs&Qis=XL# qdig

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/12655

Grab the .pdf version for all the diagrams and designs.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

I think that's the first version. It's full of good stuff, but it's not the
volume that contains the streamlined ice boat.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Here's an early one from Modern Mechanix. No streamlining:

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/12/05/motorcycle-engine-powers-high-speed-ice-zipper/?Qwd=./HowToBuildIt/1-1932/ice_zipper&Qif=ice_zipper_1.jpg&Qiv=thumbs&Qis=XL# qdig

Neat. Would love to ride one of those. Here are a few other interesting
links I found:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/go-ka...Snowmobile.pdf
http://www.oobject.com/category/snow...rough-history/

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Just checked it. There's an ice boat in there, but sadly not a motorised
one. Not that it matters, as I can't build one due to a lack of ice. As
someone said, an airboat would be a better project. But some of the
projects from that era are great. It was before my time, but I'm glad I
still built fire bells and tesla coils instead of playing on a Nintendo.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Prop drive and snow really don't mix very well, the friction on the snow
is much higher than the skates on a decent ice boat or motorized
derivation like these are. Any of the prop style machines should be
capable of the 50mph to 75 mph range on ice.

back in the 50's, a typical snowmobile went 25 mph on steel tracks, the
Tucker snow cats were about the same speed. These days you can get stock
sleds up to the 120 range or more. A buddy of mine has his personal sled
that goes 160 or so. He wrenches for a race team doing sleds on grass.
(Hey, what else do you do when it's not white out??)

I used to sell for a supplier of snowmobile components used by one of
the major manufacturers. All the high end sleds used normalized 4130 for
the suspension components. Checking the specs, it's half again stronger
than the equivalent 1018 drawn tube but hardly worth the extra money.
But when you look at the impact strength at -40F, it's almost 10x
higher. Keeps the guys from breaking suspension parts when you hit a
pressure ridge at 100mph late at night.

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Steve B wrote:

That looks scary. Particularly braking. A dive buddy of mine from
hard hat days came from Michigan. His brother built race engines, and
hillclimb Jeeps. He took one of the big Olds Toronado front wheel
drive engines, bolted it onto a tubular frame chassis on the rear, put
ice lugs on it, and they used to ride out to their ice shack at 120
mph. THAT was one narly looking beast. Had ice lug tires on the back
as big as dragster slicks. Spikes about 2" long.

Sounds wild. Would have loved to have seen it!

When I first saw those plans, I imagined a vehicle that could travel on
snow as well as ice. Like a snowmobile. Am I wrong or can some
propeller-driven sleds do this?

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RoyJ wrote:
Prop drive and snow really don't mix very well, the friction on the snow
is much higher than the skates on a decent ice boat or motorized
derivation like these are. Any of the prop style machines should be
capable of the 50mph to 75 mph range on ice.

back in the 50's, a typical snowmobile went 25 mph on steel tracks, the
Tucker snow cats were about the same speed. These days you can get stock
sleds up to the 120 range or more. A buddy of mine has his personal sled
that goes 160 or so. He wrenches for a race team doing sleds on grass.
(Hey, what else do you do when it's not white out??)

Now that's an idea. Limited to grass in good weather, though :-(.

I used to sell for a supplier of snowmobile components used by one of
the major manufacturers. All the high end sleds used normalized 4130 for
the suspension components. Checking the specs, it's half again stronger
than the equivalent 1018 drawn tube but hardly worth the extra money.
But when you look at the impact strength at -40F, it's almost 10x
higher. Keeps the guys from breaking suspension parts when you hit a
pressure ridge at 100mph late at night.

For once, I found some good stuff on YouTube. This is what I had in
mind. Old school, maybe inefficient, but appealing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofe-G6imaIQ

There's also a snow mobile built using plans from Popular Science magazine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI6m3LWm1d0

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/15/2009 7:56 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

I think that's the first version. It's full of good stuff, but it's not the
volume that contains the streamlined ice boat.

It is in the 1952 edition, on page 52.

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"axolotl" wrote in message
On 12/15/2009 7:56 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

I think that's the first version. It's full of good stuff, but it's not
the
volume that contains the streamlined ice boat.

It is in the 1952 edition, on page 52.

Kevin Gallimore

I'm guessing you have the book? Or did you find it online?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/15/2009 9:41 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

I'm guessing you have the book? Or did you find it online?

Yes, I have the book. What is more remarkable is that I found it when I
looked for it.

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"axolotl" wrote in message
On 12/15/2009 9:41 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

I'm guessing you have the book? Or did you find it online?

Yes, I have the book. What is more remarkable is that I found it when I
looked for it.

Kevin Gallimore

Ha-ha! I know that feeling. g

So, what do you think? Is that a big project, or what?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 16:41:14 +0000, the infamous Christopher Tidy
scrawled the following:

Just found these plans. Way cool. If I lived somewhere icy, I'd build one:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/go-kart/pdf/Snowsled.pdf

Now I think the Hardy Boys had a fictional sled at one point, in a book
long ago. Anyone ever build a real one?

Hey, just build one and take it up Ben Nevis for the day, Chris.
That's a good lad.

P.S: I've heard that it snows in the UK about as much as it does in
Southern California. If I should ever wish to visit it, there is snow
on Mt. Ashland during the winter and spring, and that's within an
hour's drive of me here in Southern Oregon.

--
Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm).
-----------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:09:25 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Just found these plans. Way cool. If I lived somewhere icy, I'd build one:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/go-kart/pdf/Snowsled.pdf

Now I think the Hardy Boys had a fictional sled at one point, in a book
long ago. Anyone ever build a real one?

Chris

That looks scary. Particularly braking.

Indeed. BUT, one could put wheels and brake hubs on it and run it on
abandoned airfields or grassy fields, eh? Non-aerodynamic, it
probably slows considerably quickly when the prop isn't turning much.

A dive buddy of mine from hard hat
days came from Michigan. His brother built race engines, and hillclimb
Jeeps. He took one of the big Olds Toronado front wheel drive engines,
bolted it onto a tubular frame chassis on the rear, put ice lugs on it, and
they used to ride out to their ice shack at 120 mph. THAT was one narly
looking beast. Had ice lug tires on the back as big as dragster slicks.
Spikes about 2" long.

Never rode in it. Never wanted to.

Nope, not if it could dig holes in the ice and dunk/drown you for it.

--
Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm).
-----------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:

Just found these plans. Way cool. If I lived somewhere icy, I'd build one:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/go-kart/pdf/Snowsled.pdf

Now I think the Hardy Boys had a fictional sled at one point, in a book
long ago. Anyone ever build a real one?

It will be -2F tonight. That is -18.9C for your frame of reference. I don't remember the
sled in the Hardy Boys. I *thought* I had read them all before I started reading Nancy
Drew

I gave up on going fast in the cold years ago.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Christopher Tidy wrote:

Just found these plans. Way cool. If I lived somewhere icy, I'd build one:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/go-kart/pdf/Snowsled.pdf

Now I think the Hardy Boys had a fictional sled at one point, in a book
long ago. Anyone ever build a real one?

It will be -2F tonight. That is -18.9C for your frame of reference. I don't remember the
sled in the Hardy Boys. I *thought* I had read them all before I started reading Nancy
Drew

As long as you didn't read the'Nancy Boys' books. ;-)

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

axolotl wrote:
On 12/15/2009 7:56 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

I think that's the first version. It's full of good stuff, but it's
not the
volume that contains the streamlined ice boat.

It is in the 1952 edition, on page 52.

I'll look out for a copy.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

P.S: I've heard that it snows in the UK about as much as it does in
Southern California. If I should ever wish to visit it, there is snow
on Mt. Ashland during the winter and spring, and that's within an
hour's drive of me here in Southern Oregon.

Yes, but the lack of snow is made up for by rain. I don't think that
happens in So. Cal., does it?

It probably snows here once a year, but it doesn't last long.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Just found these plans. Way cool. If I lived somewhere icy, I'd build one:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/go-kart/pdf/Snowsled.pdf

Now I think the Hardy Boys had a fictional sled at one point, in a book
long ago. Anyone ever build a real one?

It will be -2F tonight. That is -18.9C for your frame of reference. I don't remember the
sled in the Hardy Boys. I *thought* I had read them all before I started reading Nancy
Drew

Just had a look through my collection. The sled is in #33, "The Yellow
Feather Mystery" (original text version). Built by Chet, as you might
imagine :-).

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Just found these plans. Way cool. If I lived somewhere icy, I'd build one:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/go-kart/pdf/Snowsled.pdf

Now I think the Hardy Boys had a fictional sled at one point, in a book
long ago. Anyone ever build a real one?

It will be -2F tonight. That is -18.9C for your frame of reference. I
don't remember the
sled in the Hardy Boys. I *thought* I had read them all before I started
reading Nancy
Drew

I bought a few at Costco for my son. Mrs. Hardy is slim, attractive and
always serves the guests and defers to her husband. They have one fat friend
who is obsessed with food, and the bad guy was a typical Spanish type, small
and excitable.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Just found these plans. Way cool. If I lived somewhere icy, I'd build one:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/go-kart/pdf/Snowsled.pdf

Now I think the Hardy Boys had a fictional sled at one point, in a book
long ago. Anyone ever build a real one?

Chris

i wonder if any of the links that have been posted were for the prop driven
ice boat that i saw pictures of a while back but have no idea how to get
back there to post a link. i saw photos of a prop driven ice boat, i can't
even remember if it was a pusher or a tractor, that had a "whip" of (a
dozen?) kids behind on ice skates. i'd imagine anyone looking at that photo
these days (it may have even been posted here a couple years ago) would say
"WOW THAT LOOKS DANGEROUS!" was a funny old timey photo, where people did
stuff dangerous stuff like that without even a second thought. was funny.
wish i could post the link.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When I first saw those plans, I imagined a vehicle that could travel on
snow as well as ice. Like a snowmobile. Am I wrong or can some
propeller-driven sleds do this?

Depends on where you are. Lots of things work well on the flats, but here in
the Sierras, it is a bit challenging.
We like to ride about 50 miles south of where the Donner party had their
mis-adventure.
Some days we can climb any mountain with our 20 year old snowmobiles, but
most days we have limitations.
Lakes at 10000 Ft are not frozen enough for us to go out on, but we do cross
shallow creeks.
I am going up tomorrow.

Plenty of Archimedes screw vehicles have been tried, here is an interesting
one, later in the film chainguards appear
http://www.flixxy.com/snow-vehicle-concept.htm

--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/16/2009 10:20 PM, ATP* wrote:

I bought a few at Costco for my son. Mrs. Hardy is slim, attractive and
always serves the guests and defers to her husband. They have one fat friend
who is obsessed with food, and the bad guy was a typical Spanish type, small
and excitable.....

You need to find the originals at a used book store. Much more
interesting. When my son was (perhaps?) 8, I asked him what was on his
Christmas list. The answer? "An ultralight airplane and a revolver".
Frank Hardy had a revolver.

Ed started this... I went off on a jihad to find a photo of a propeller
driven iceboat on the Navesink...puller, not pusher...didn't find it.

There appears to be a fair amount of coincidental places in the Hardy
Boys books and south of Ed in the Bayshore area.

Stratemeyer (who ran the syndicate that published the Hardy Boys books)
has been reported to have had a summer house in Atlantic Highlands
(Bayport). The old mill (on Whippoorwill Valley road), the Shore Road
(upper and lower Scenic Drive), The house on the cliff, the train to New
York, all point to the area.
But the books were ghostwritten by a Canadian. Go figure.

If you're a SF guy, Fritz Leiber uses Atlantic Highlands as Bayport in
Conjure Wife. At one time he lived on Avenue D.

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"axolotl" wrote in message
[...]

Did he fish for stripers or bluefish? g Say "Atlantic Highlands," and
that's what I think of. 'Fish on the brain, especially in this rotten cold
weather...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/17/2009 7:02 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Did he fish for stripers or bluefish?g Say "Atlantic Highlands," and
that's what I think of. 'Fish on the brain, especially in this rotten cold
weather...

Let's try this again.

Recorded history is silent on the subject of these two authors and their
fish. During the time described one could probably eat the fish that
could be caught in the nearby waters. Moreover, a plethora of writers,
from Melville to Hemingway to Brautigan, have shown the intimate
relationship between authors and the slimy denizens of the deep.
Clearly, one sees here strong circumstantial evidence pointing to both
wetting a line. But there is a more important question here- stripers or
bluefish? It is possible, both men being non-native, that they would try
to snare these species. Locals know that stripers or bluefish are only
good for feeding to the cat. It is more likely that as authors, they
were attracted to the bottom dwelling types.

And for large metal apparatus and the Hardy Boys, I had my wedding
reception in the building that has "The Disappearing Floor".

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"axolotl" wrote in message
On 12/17/2009 7:02 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Did he fish for stripers or bluefish?g Say "Atlantic Highlands," and
that's what I think of. 'Fish on the brain, especially in this rotten
cold
weather...

Let's try this again.

Recorded history is silent on the subject of these two authors and their
fish. During the time described one could probably eat the fish that could
be caught in the nearby waters. Moreover, a plethora of writers, from
Melville to Hemingway to Brautigan, have shown the intimate relationship
between authors and the slimy denizens of the deep.

There must be some connection.

Clearly, one sees here strong circumstantial evidence pointing to both
wetting a line. But there is a more important question here- stripers or
bluefish? It is possible, both men being non-native, that they would try
to snare these species. Locals know that stripers or bluefish are only
good for feeding to the cat. It is more likely that as authors, they were
attracted to the bottom dwelling types.

Ha. A fluke eater, eh? Or blackfish? g

And for large metal apparatus and the Hardy Boys, I had my wedding
reception in the building that has "The Disappearing Floor".

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/17/2009 8:09 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Ha. A fluke eater, eh? Or blackfish?g

Guilty as charged.

As you know this time of year, in this weather, you can sometimes get
ling in the surf by grabbing them. My friend Carl would take his gunning
dog for a walk on the beach. The dog would see the flash of fish, dive
in, and strut back with a ling flapping in her mouth.

These days, I find it is less effort to have the waitress bring the fish
to me.

Kevin Gallimore